Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Koverall vs Glass on CG Chipmunk

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Koverall vs Glass on CG Chipmunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:39 AM
scottm50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koverall vs Glass on CG Chipmunk

Hi - Just getting to the stage where I'm covering the wings on my CG Super Chipmunk - The model is built with open bay wings but I'm toying with fully sheeting the wings and glassing as I want to do a paint scheme on the plane - The other option is to go with the open bays and use Sig Koverall as a base for the paint - Any thoughts much appreciated
Old 03-05-2010, 07:51 AM
bgfireman
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Koverall vs Glass on CG Chipmunk

Scott,
I used Koverall on a cub. It looked great. The only thing negative about it was I used a brush to paint it. That made it heavy. I think if you spray it, it would be lighter.
Good luck
Alan
Old 03-05-2010, 08:28 AM
outdoorhunting

You might want to reconsider sheeting the wing. I did sheet the wings on mine & it is a slug in the air. I imagine a full size C-30 has a faster roll-rate than my Chippy.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:41 AM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

I use Koverall and minwx polycrilic and my models weigh exactly what the manufacturer calls out in the specs.  I also spray (with a compresser and gun) paint that my local auto parts store mixes for me.  I am comsdering going with Nelsons paint this time around.  Check out this link.  Its where I learned my technique.

http://www.tompierce.net/SBD/index.htm
Old 03-05-2010, 12:23 PM
scottm50

thanks for the replies - i'm from the uk - so does anyone know if minwx polycrilic is the same as water based polyurethane varnish and can this be used for glassing instead of resins?
Old 03-05-2010, 12:33 PM
stevenmax50

Check out this link. This is where I learned how to use koverall and minwax poly. I emailed Tom once and asked about the same thing you did. i do not remember the exact Q and A so check him out for yourself. He is incredible. Ithink your answer will be yes, uyou can use it in place of fiberglass resin. Let us know how it goes for you.

Opps. didnt realize I had already given you that link.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:52 PM
scottm50

great thanks - brilliant site
Old 03-05-2010, 06:32 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: stevenmax50

I use Koverall and minwx polycrilic and my models weigh exactly what the manufacturer calls out in the specs. I also spray (with a compresser and gun) paint that my local auto parts store mixes for me. I am comsdering going with Nelsons paint this time around. Check out this link. Its where I learned my technique.

good luck with nelson paint. i would order it before i started my project, maybe even 6 months earlier, too allow for the delays and lack of communication. i never did get a reply to repeated emails and phone messages back in october, november and december. i waited 2 months on one paint before that. it finally just appeared in the mail. i had to finish the project with a different paint.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:04 PM
stevenmax50

WOW, thanks for the heads up.  I dont think I want to deal with that kind of service.  I talked on the phone with the guy early last summer and Im kinda surprised at your experiance.  He seemed like he was on the ball.  Of course, I havent tried to order anything yet....
Old 03-06-2010, 02:04 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Scott,
I would just go with the open bays and use the Koverall. I have used this with great results. It will also do very nice over sheeted areas and for simulating a metal surface with the weave fully filled. I have a Sig 1/4 Cub, 25% Waco, Jack Stafford Ercoupe and and am finishing up a 33% Waco with Koverall.
I am atatching a pic of the Ercoupe it is done with Koverall and PolyC and painted with Latex, all the graphics are painted with Testors Model Masters paints.
Later!!
Anhtony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68337.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1392177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61322.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1392178  
Old 03-06-2010, 08:17 PM
geoardsog5
My Feedback: (31)

You just can't beat Sig Koverall.I use it for open framework covering up to 1/4 scale. For 1/3 scale covering, I use polyester dress lining fabric from JoAnn fabrics. john R.

www.rcaircraftworks.com