Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

CG Super Chippy

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

CG Super Chippy

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:44 AM
halflight
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG Super Chippy

Currently building the Super Chipmunk..I have a brand new OS .55AX would that be enough power?
Old 05-20-2010, 11:33 AM
scottm50

Default RE: CG Super Chippy

i'm building one as well and will be putting an OS91FS in
Old 05-20-2010, 12:18 PM
flygilmore

No....
Old 05-20-2010, 08:16 PM
outdoorhunting

I have a Super Tigre 75 in my Chippy & it flies great. Although, I wouldn't mind having a little more power. ( See moto below) I know, it's a sickness.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:12 AM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Like Outdoorhunting I have a ST 75 in my Super Chippy and it is a good combo. I think the AX55 would dissapoint in this air frame.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 05-21-2010, 05:09 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; I have a Saito 80 in mine, I've seen another with a Sairto 65, it flew pretty good too!

I just prefer that four stroke sound.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Navy18
My Feedback: (4)

This kit is going to be under-powered with a 55. It has a wonderful wing and can fly on one but you will be putting yourself behind the power-curve. I used both a strong 60 2-stroke and a 90 4-stroke with great results.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:35 AM
halflight
My Feedback: (5)

I have a Saito .91..everyone say use it
Old 05-25-2010, 11:44 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't you try it. If you decide you need more power pull it and put in something bigger. No big deal.
John
Old 05-26-2010, 06:52 AM
Ladyflyer

Yep, I know some like to put a huge engine on a plane . They often comment "That is what throttles are for". This is true.
On the other hand , having a plane with less power even marginal power can really sharpen flying skills. It teaches people to fly on the wing, manage speed and altitude . Learning to fly without having the option of slamming the throttle forward after making a sloppy move can be quite benficial. Not to mention the fact smaller engines are generally lighter and the power pulses less stressful on the airframe.

So long as you can get by without trying to impress others at the field boring holes in the sky with limitless vertical and are not in to 3D. If you really want to learn scale like flying , having a smaller engine can teach a lot. And burn less fuel at times .

It is amazing how many of today's RC fliers are so inept at actually using the throttle and flying at the low end of the envelope.

If indeed the engine turns out to be far too small or the owner for any reason desires more power, an engine swap can be done at any time.

I'd like to say put it in and try it out ![8D]
Old 05-26-2010, 08:15 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LF has a point. I often use engines on the small end of the scale, but I build light, and I think that's the key. I pay especially close attention to the extremities...tail and wing tips, because that's what gives crisp handling. People tend to beef up kits and add accessories when they use large engines and their planes are often on the heavy side. With a light airframe you can use a low pitch, large diameter prop to get the vertical. You don't need a lot of speed for a scale model, unless that's the way you like to fly.

The 55AX is a great engine, and more powerful than a lot of older 60s, which is what the plane was designed for many years ago. And if you don't like it, do what LF says and put on a bigger engine later.

Jim
Old 05-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Alex7403

I'm building a chipmunk right now but never flew one, reviews say its one of the best to fly.
It will fly with 55AX but if you are already going through the effort of building one you dont want it not even by smallest chance to suffer from under power.
people who flew it say the OS 61 FX or OS 91 FS 4 stroke ares ideal, I'm gonna use tower 75 for it.
the thing is that if you build it for 55ax you will not be able to change it later that easy.

yeah I need to finish mine, it got stuck to long in almost ready for sanding for covering stage.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Ladyflyer

Never in 45 + years "suffered" from an "underpowered" plane. I have however learned a lot more from flying marginally powered planes , than high powered heavyweights . Better to learn the wing than expect an engine to make up for mistakes. BTW, I admit to having some planes with a lot more power than needed. Low power is how my father and brothers taught me to fly however. I am very glad for it.

Don't know if I could ever say "You don't want....." ??? I know what skills some folks could sharpen though !

I have indeed owned a few Chipmunks. Light planes fly great IMHO , even with a litttle less power.

Lest we forget the original question. Yes, the 55 is enough. Overpower anyone can do.

Define "easy"ou can modify for a heavyweight engine up front at any tiem. Learn to fly it light and you may not care to put a brick in the nose.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:13 PM
LongIslander

OS .75AX and its a beast.