Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Anyone want to help cover...

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Anyone want to help cover...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 05:49 PM
cwhipple

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone want to help cover...

I have a 33% Illusion Bipe that I would like to glass and paint. Anyone in the Ohio area that can get me started?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hf98460.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	2.78 MB
ID:	1443471  
Old 05-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Anyone want to help cover...

That's a shame, I really enjoy glassing. What are you going to do with the tail feathers?? Solartex and paint??
Old 05-27-2010, 08:37 PM
cwhipple

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have no clue how i will cover any of it.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

cwhipple,

There are many good tutorials and how to glass to be found on the net. A search of this site would probably find a bunch of good info. Just FYI, you cannot use fiberglass over an open structure which is what prompted Gray Beard's question about the tail feathers. Since you will have to use some sort of covering on the tail and, I assume, the wing as well there is really very little reason not to just use it on the fuselage too. There are many different covering options that will allow you to paint. I would suggest the Stits Lite system as being one of the best. Good luck with it.

http://www.stits.com/index.html
Old 05-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is what brought up my question but after I posted i wondered what type of wing the plane had. Fully sheeted or open bay. I have had a few planes that were fully sheeted except the tail feathers but before glassing I have sheeted them. Last time I used the stits it came out heavy but that was a long time ago, I'm sure it is a much better system today. There isn't anything wrong with just covering with Ultrakote either, it's pretty common. I hope you find someone in your area to help you, I just gave building and covering lessons last week and enjoyed it a big bunch. It got me out of my building funks. Good luck.