Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Mid Star 40 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Mid Star 40 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Sukhoi_Madness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Mid Star 40 Build Thread

I installed the first aileron servo into the wing today.

Started by marking out where the servo will sit exactly relative to the servo bay – you’ll note the substantial grasp I have on technical drawing in the first photo.

Then once I’d cut out a slot for the control horn it was a standard setup with hardwood standoffs to mount the servo and 4 servo screws to mount the cover.

I finished off by adding a drop or two of thin CA to all the screw holes.

I’m pleased with how this has come out – it’s not a complicated modification but it’s always rewarding to get a good result. I’d say I’ve built more strength into the area than is required, meaning more weight but not enough to be detrimental I shouldn’t think – and so the strength can only be an upside.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	db85916.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1472876   Click image for larger version

Name:	lh18298.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	1472877   Click image for larger version

Name:	sx61146.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	1472878   Click image for larger version

Name:	dx66301.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	1472879   Click image for larger version

Name:	pa33097.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	1472880   Click image for larger version

Name:	sj72762.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	1472881  
Old 07-26-2010, 09:02 AM
vmsguy

Looks good. Agreed, it's a little over engineered, but not rediculously so. I find every plane I build/rebuild, I learn something. This is one of those things you'll learn from and apply to your next build.

I too prefer to have my aileron servos "laying down" like yours. It seems a cleaner look, IMO.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

ORIGINAL: vmsguy

Looks good. Agreed, it's a little over engineered, but not rediculously so. I find every plane I build/rebuild, I learn something. This is one of those things you'll learn from and apply to your next build.

I too prefer to have my aileron servos ''laying down'' like yours. It seems a cleaner look, IMO.
Absolutely, there are a few areas where I think I can take back a little of the weight back.

Any opinion on dropping the balsa tail feathers and building them up from scratch. I’m a little dubious of their strength – although the same apprehension lead to too much wood above.

It’s going to take a bit of time to get the feel back for what’s strong enough and what isn’t.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You are really going to enjoy the Sig Mid-Star, I've had mine for
3 years now, wouldn't trade it for anything, just a great sport &
relaxing flying little plane. When you get to the tail feathers, reinforce
the stabalizer with a bit of angle stock for rigidity, as on a nose over
it will snap off if not braced a little. Mine's has a Super Tiger 40 in it,
plenty of power and cruises around great between 1/2 and 3/4 thottle,
rolls are barrel type but quick on full power though, groves quite good
actually. You'll be glad you did the 2-servo wing, mine worked out great.

What type of fuel are you using over in the Uk, I know when I lived there
back in the 70's FAI was about all I could afford. Your ST-45 will haul the mail
on anything of 5% to 10% nitro. Keep the great work going, I have a back-up
kit in the cupboard for just in case, and will probably build #3 in near future.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:22 PM
farr301

I've had my midstar built for about a year and finally got to fly it yesterday. I loved it! very stable in winds, but I'd like to speed up the roll rate. I also lost the left main wheel right when i took off so check that one every flight because the natural tendencey is for it to loosen.

Love the plane!

Jake
Old 08-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

Post a pic!
Old 08-31-2017, 06:40 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

Smile

And one child, two house moves, a couple of businesses and seven years later.... Here it is ready for maiden this weekend.

Life got in the way a bit...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7755.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	2229975  
Old 10-03-2017, 03:15 AM
Bill Diedrich

Well it's been over a month since the last post, how did the maiden go? Hopefully was a very
enjoyable flight and continued enjoyment of the aircraft, BTW nice color scheme. Will be building
my 3rd one this winter.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:16 AM
Bill Diedrich

ops, double post

Last edited by Bill Diedrich; 10-03-2017 at 03:23 AM. Reason: double post
Old 10-03-2017, 03:47 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

The maiden was some what of an interesting story.

The first time down the strip the flight was thwarted by technical issues. The second attempt I was standing dithering around trying to get the dual rates set up how I wanted them and a mate of mine, who is somewhat of a barnstormer and a talented pilot, came over and said "forget that, full rates, if something goes wrong you want as much control authority as possible. After you know it flies you can set it up how you want".

I normally fly unlimited aerobatic type things so the idea of a maiden on full throws left me a bit cold but this is a low wing trainer after all so I thought I can handle it and took his advice.

Lined it up on the centre line, went full throttle, tracked straight, lifted off and immediately rolled heavily to the right. Violently so. I gave it full left aileron, (full) which got it straight and I managed to turn it with the rudder into the circuit. I was a bit tense by this point but my buddy calmed me down and came over and fed in full left aileron trim and some left rudder (There was no way at all I could let go of the sticks to trim). This was good enough to get a circuit in while I considered the landing and took a few breaths.

Brought it back in for a reasonably uneventful landing. I ran off the end of the strip before it stopped but I had no more left on any control surface so it couldn't be helped. Aircraft completely fine.

I'm not the worlds best builder by any means but I know I built it straighter than that so it must have been a technical problem. On investigation the starboard aileron was way way out of whack. It probably had a good 5 - 7mm positive throw on it. Although this should have been picked up pre flight I'd built the aircraft in such a piecemeal way over such a long time combined with the two aileron servo mod it had just been forgotten. If I'd not taken the advice about the throw she'd be splinters now. I would not have had the control movement in the split second I had to save her.

Otherwise it flies exactly how you would expect a Sig airplane to fly. I highly recommend everyone builds and fly's at least one Sig model in there career. Even if its the only model they build.

Last edited by Sukhoi_Madness; 10-03-2017 at 04:13 AM.