Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Laser Cutting Advice Requested

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Laser Cutting Advice Requested

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 03:33 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Laser Cutting Advice Requested

Gentlemen:

I am in the process of producing a laser cut kit for sale. The laser cutter has suggested cutting all parts free from the balsa sheet and bagging the parts instead of leaving the parts attached with tabs to the sheets. Most laser cut kits I have experience with have the parts attached to the sheets but I must admit that having the parts already detached sounds good.

Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks to all in advance for your help.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:12 PM
AviationNut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Laser Cutting Advice Requested

Having the parts cut out and bagged would save some time for the builder. On the other hand, it's nice to get the sheets so you can make use of the extra wood in the build. I'd rather have the extra wood.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:31 PM
mboland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on the complexity of the kit, and how many laser cut parts, having them in the sheet, with the sheet numbered, and the parts numbered or named, is the easiest way to identify the parts, and check before starting the kit that everything is there.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:40 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

I would say having them in the sheets might make it easier to find and organize things. Not as big an issue if you bag by assemblies like all the ribs and wing parts, fin + rudder. etc. You could seperate regular ribs and center ribs by putting them together with rubber bands.

But in the sheets sounds like less work for you.

Tom
Old 07-25-2010, 09:25 PM
cwesh

As a laser cutter myself, I would have the parts left in the sheets with break tabs to hold the parts in.

I have done the cut and bag approach and it really adds to the time to assemble a kit. Instead of checking off a list of 6-10 sheets, you are inventorying what could be hundreds of parts, not only that, the parts would be better protected if left in the sheets. Also, you have the bonus of the builder getting usable scraps and the cutter not having to deal with those scraps.

Later!
Old 07-25-2010, 10:19 PM
mshay
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: cwesh

As a laser cutter myself, I would have the parts left in the sheets with break tabs to hold the parts in.

I have done the cut and bag approach and it really adds to the time to assemble a kit. Instead of checking off a list of 6-10 sheets, you are inventorying what could be hundreds of parts, not only that, the parts would be better protected if left in the sheets. Also, you have the bonus of the builder getting usable scraps and the cutter not having to deal with those scraps.

Later!
not to steal the thread but i was wondering about laser cutting . here goes if i was to bring a laser cutter some plans such as yourself could you cut parts from the wood using the plans.. not really sure how all that stuff works. but myself im not able to use a hobby knife to cut parts from the plans out of balsa myself, just to time consuming and doesnt make alot of sense either. not to mention less accurate if i cut them myself.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:21 PM
mshay
My Feedback: (3)

i found some plans of a dc-9. think this would be a great build but need some wood cut.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:40 PM
ByLoudDesign

My laser cuttings are left in the sheet, laser printed ID on sheet and parts, and a ID# to sheet list come with the kit, If you got several hundred parts bagged, even if they are bag per what is to be built it takes about as much time as cutting a few tabs to release a part. PLUS the parts are protected better. There are about 600 pasrts on the dornier Do-24T, for sure some of them would be damaged if bagged!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:01 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks to all for the excellent advice.
The kits will have the parts attached to the sheets as advised.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:54 PM
GAP-RCU

ORIGINAL: 049flyer

Thanks to all for the excellent advice.
The kits will have the parts attached to the sheets as advised.
Good move. In addition to the reasons already mentioned, I like to have the sheets in case I need a template to remake a part.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:02 PM
cwesh

MSHAY,

As to cutting from paper plans, I don't, I need laser ready CAD files. To cut directly from a scanned plan would not be accurate at all and the time to scan and convert the plan to a proper CAD file would get expensive at commercial hourly rates.....

If you would like more info, PM me.

Later!