Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Does anyone get their kits online?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Does anyone get their kits online?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:26 AM
wazzbat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone get their kits online?

I am having trouble getting a hold of a SIG LT-40 kit locallyor having it shipped downunder from the US. The only place I have had any success with is Hobbyhorse.com.

It works out cheaper to combine shipping so I'm thinking of getting a Mid Star 40 sent as well so I can tackle that for my second build.

Has anyone had any experience with this store or can you recommendanother online storethat might ship to Australia?

Or better still - Are there any Aussies on here that have bought kits from the US?

Does anyone else buy their kits online?

Old 08-17-2010, 07:56 AM
R!aan

Default RE: Does anyone get their kits online?

Hey wazzbat, I just bought a sig 4 star 40 and engine (etc., glue watever) from directly from SIG, this was my first plane but I have purchased a lot of stuff from the USI am in Dubai.... I paid 77 dollars forshipping of theplane, engine and building supplies and that was for fast shipping you could probably ask them for the 7-14 day shipping, that would be around 30-40 dollars...
Old 08-17-2010, 11:22 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was also going to suggest buying direct from SIG: http://sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.ex...FV5.html?E+Sig
Old 08-17-2010, 12:28 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wazz..... I think SIG would ship it directly. Don't forget about Great Planes as they are really good about international shipping, as is Carl Goldberg products. I haven't tried Tower Hobbies yet, but I bet they would ship internationally as well. Getting the kits is not the problem, the main problem is having your water-cooled checkbook ready to pay for the shipping! Duty here can double a kit price in a heartbeat!

Here's the scoop from the Great Planes website on a possible local dealer for you down there:

AUSTRALIA
Dawn Trading
17 Tenterden Road
Botany
New South Wales 2019
Telephone: +61 (02) 9666-4999
Fax: +61 (02) 9666-3404
E-mail: [email protected]
Old 08-17-2010, 01:20 PM
R!aan

Tower does ship internationally I ordered wheels and other stuff from them a week ago, plus they have like a budget shipping option... but we don't have any duty or taxes so I don't have to worry bout that...

Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

I live in US.

Bought a Venture 60 kit direct from BTE Engineering. It involved calling Bruce for me but you can also e-mail him and do PayPal pmt. Bruce was very resaonable on S & H charge and I bet he would ship down under.

I bought a couple of kits privately off this board's classifieds. I imagine a lot of these sellers would charge you actual charge and do PayPal pmt. You may need to help them through the process but I understand FedEx and UPS can be very helpful here if seller calls them.

Tom
Old 08-18-2010, 01:51 AM
wazzbat

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Tom - I did email Bruce after your post in another thread (cheers) and he did reply quickly and was very helpful and I might look at his Venture 60 down the track but I am really keen to get a trainer kit first and an LT-40 in particular as well as a second plane which can use the same motor.  I am thinking of getting an OS 46AX.

I will keep my eye on the classifieds too.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:19 PM
carrellh

Have you attempted to contact SIG? They do ship internationally. The email address is [email protected] When I contacted them for information about a kit they replied within 48 hours.

If you are willing to buy a different brand, Tower Hobbies has Two good trainer choices and one "second plane" that will work with a 46AX (wehich they also sell).

Trainer
Great Planes PT-40 $74.99
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ557&P=0
Great Planes Goldberg Eagle 2 $89.99
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYXF4&P=0

Second plane
Great Planes Goldberg Tiger 2 $109.98
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYXF7&P=0

Carrell
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28224.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	1486138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21473.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	373.1 KB
ID:	1486139  
Old 08-18-2010, 04:14 PM
wazzbat

Hi CarrellI did email SIG to see what they had in stock but I didn't ask them about shipping. I found a LHS on the other side of Australia that sells SIG kits but they were waiting for a shipment and weren't sure what was going to be in the container?  That's why I sent the email out.  I asked about The LT-40 and Mid Star 40.  They were quick to reply.  This is what they wrote:

Hello,
We do not have the mid star 40 in stock at this time. They will not be available until aug 30,2010
We have the kadet lt 40 in stock at this time. The shipping time would be around 2-3 weeks to australia.
Thanks,
Becky

That was on the 10th August but I'm not sure when the LHS I spoke to will get there shipment?  The guy there told me that SIG were having trouble sourcing quality balsa and that's why he was having trouble getting the kits shipped in.

As far as the Great Planes kits go - Aren't they made in China or somewhere?  I hate buying crap made in China if I can avoid it.  I don't quite know why but I have my heart set on the LT-40 now.  I think it is because everyone has talked it up so much on this forum and also because you get a few  extra peices with the kit like the fuel tank etc. and being my first build, I thought it might save me a dozen trips to the LHS.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:22 AM
vmsguy

I don't quite know why but I have my heart set on the LT-40 now.
Then what are you waiting for...

While I have a well stocked Hobby shop only a few blocks from my work, they don't stock many kits. So I use them to buy other stuff. I'm saving up for a 10 channel radio. I try to buy as much locally as I can. But online is a good way to get things where isn't a big local market.

Next purchase.. I'm thinking Top Flight Spitfire.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:19 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: wazzbat
As far as the Great Planes kits go - Aren't they made in China or somewhere? I don't quite know why but I have my heart set on the LT-40 now. I think it is because everyone has talked it up so much on this forum and also because you get a few extra peices with the kit like the fuel tank etc. and being my first build, I thought it might save me a dozen trips to the LHS.
Great Planes KITS are made in USA. Most ARFs, regardless of brand, are made in China.
There's nothing wrong with wanting SIG kits. The 2 people I know who have built the LT-40 like them very much.
I built a Great Planes PT-60, my brother built one, and I know 2 people who built the PT-40. They are good kits.

I would partially base my decision on availability. The manuals for all current GP kits are available to download http://www.greatplanes.com/parts/index.html#kits and they have a "required items" list at the front. You can create a complete shopping list before buying anything.

The balsa supply issue has impacted several of the kit cutters. The electric power industry uses balsa to sheet the blades of wind turbines. The blades are huge so they use a lot. The turbine companies have deep pockets and can outbid just about any hobby company.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:56 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LT-40 is an excellent kit for your first build. We have built 5 of them where I work.

Keep in mind it is purely a trainer and it flies just like a trainer. There are a lot of things you can do to bash them though. You can reduce the dihedral in the wings and that helps a lot. I've seen them converted to tail draggers. You can certainly lighten them here and there.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:28 PM
wazzbat

Thanks for all your input and ideas guys!

The estimated shipping rates from Tower Hobbies was way too much (ie. $210US) for two planes.

I have tried to order a Mid Star 40 and an LT-40 from HobbyHorse.com so I will see how that goes.  All up, I think it will cost me about $290US which still works out cheaper than if I could buy them locally as kits start at about $180US here.  I have paid by credit card but had to fill out a Credit Card Authorisation form which involved printing and scanning stuff which I'm not really up to speed with so I hope it worked?  I just hope that if it all goes through, my kits arrive here in one peice!

I will keep you posted - If for nothing else, than a future reference for other would be enthusiasts here downunder and around the world who are battling to get a hold of a kit or two!

Old 08-19-2010, 03:43 PM
wazzbat

I just found out that the shipping through HobbyHorse was will cost $20 more than estimated!  Damn!  So I'm now up to $313US for the two planes shipped to Australia.  Still works out slightly cheaper than the cost of kits here though.  Hopefully I don't have to wait too long!
Old 08-31-2010, 03:21 AM
wazzbat

Well I am happy to say that both my kits have arrived safe and sound all the way from the US. I only had a quick look but they both seem to be in good condition and intact. But to be honest, I probably couldn't tell you anyway seems it is the first kit I have looked at in ten years! I think I'll be a while off starting the LT-40 and it will be ages before I get to start the Mid Star 40 but for now, I'm just happy knowing I've got them ready to go. I'll need to get a few tools together before I can get too far ahead.

Anyway - Just thought I'd write this post up to let any would be shoppers of kits know that I didn't have any problems in dealing with HobbyHorse.com and getting the kits shipped to Australia. It works out for us down here as a cheaper option to buying at our LHS but more importantly gives us a lot wider variety of products we can get a hold of. I had no chance of getting a hold of an LT-40 kit locally. The best I could get was one shipped interstate but they didn't have any in stock anyway.

Cheers

Glen
Old 08-31-2010, 08:31 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I have worked with Hobby Horse for years, they have always been good to me. Glad you got what you wanted, good luck with the builds.