RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/2708451-sig-1-4scale-c-w-cub-build.html)

cannonball200 09-12-2012 07:27 AM

RE: Sig 1/4scale C/W Cub build

I just knew you would get an extra set for me!!! I probably need to order a set since they will be no more. Glad you got them. They really help soften the landings even more with the bungee gear and air up tires and looks good too.
Thanks,
Eddie

d boothe 09-14-2012 06:00 AM

Just finished my sig 1/4 scale clipped wing! Older 80s circa kit with some wood exchaned for contest balsa, solartex covering with PPG concept urethane paint to scale. Syssa 30 with 18.5X5.5 vess prop. Still need to come up with a scale bunge cover which is supposed to be white. Going to fly it later today!

d boothe 09-14-2012 06:06 AM

new pics

d boothe 09-14-2012 06:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
try again![img][/img]

VincentJ 09-14-2012 06:31 AM

Nice work on your cub. Looks great! Who's that girl in the back seat, think I knew her back in HS...LOL

d boothe 09-14-2012 07:04 AM

Actually she is ugly as a mud fence with the exception of the inlarged breasts. Hazel Sigafoose wasnt blessed with good looks either so thats was my pilot theme. Thanks for the comments! D

heritageman 09-14-2012 10:28 AM

Looks great Boothe, can hardly wait to get back to working on mine.When you gonna maiden it ?

WacoNut 09-14-2012 01:55 PM

Nice Looking Cub boothe,
Let us know how she fly's.
Anthony

d boothe 09-14-2012 02:54 PM

Flew the clipped wing today, much faster than her full wing counterpart! got some inverted with a considerable amount of down elevator to maintain level flight. Rolls were somewhat axial with the elevator input, slow flight was surprisingly stable as it will land at a crawl with a 7-8knot headwind. The syssa 30 is adequate and will fly most standard manuvers with ease! Take offs are in the 4' range with a steady headwind. All and all was a good 1st day, gonna go again tomarrow bang the sticks some more!

VincentJ 09-14-2012 05:27 PM

Congratulations D, well done.

Neddy191 09-14-2012 06:30 PM

I've embarked on my own Sig 1/4 scale cub build. I'm planning on keeping it the stock full wing version. I've done quite a bit of research and I will be modifying the fuse quite a bit. I will give credit to SunDevilPilot, VincentJ, and Cubman who have all been very helpful in their posts and whose building techniques I will borrow from.

Mods planned thus far:
-center wing section build onto fuse with removable wings like SunDevilPilot's build
-Robart gear
-Cabin modification similar to cubman's plans with opening right side door/window
-Fiberglass specialites cowl (without molded in engines)
-Scale Continental engines from TopNotch to install into cowl for more scale look
-moving firewall back to allow for power with a DLE-30

I'm sure there will be more but thats all I can think of for now

Neddy191 09-14-2012 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic 1: the fuse stick and truss framing with the lite ply fuse sides installed. I cut out the door from the ply before I glued it to the stick framing. I will have to cut the framing out of the door opening and attach it to the door and add framing around the door and door opening

Pic 2: A pic of formers F5, F6, and F7 with balsa former F8-11. I built these before I had planned my fuse modification (similar to cubman's website). F5 is modified by being narrower to account for the way I'll build the top of the cabin. I've further modified it (cut the top of the former from the side legs at the bottom of the upper square and tacked it back for the time being with CA for fuse assembly. The legs/bottom will be taken out after the fuse is assembled. F6 will be omitted (I had modified it from stock plans but going with cubmans' style fuse mod it won't be needed at all). F7 is assembled as stock at this point.

(hoping I can get the pics attached)

d boothe 09-15-2012 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
feild pics

d boothe 09-15-2012 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
one at a time

swixtt 09-15-2012 02:15 PM

Excellent... looks really nice!

VincentJ 09-15-2012 06:11 PM

Neddy suggest you install gussets on insides of fuse sides. See post #1129.

Neddy191 09-16-2012 07:34 AM

I'm planning on adding gussets. I need to go to the hobby shop to get some wood to make them from and and I'm not looking forward to the tedious process of cutting them all out so I've been putting it off.

VincentJ 09-16-2012 11:59 AM

LOL, that's exactly what I said when I had to do it.....

Neddy191 09-16-2012 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I ended up finding some scrap 1/16" birch ply pieces (some 1" wide; some 1.25" wide - which is what I would have preferred they all be), so after a boring afternoon at the bandsaw and with the sander I now have gussets, albeit in 2 different sizes.

swixtt 09-16-2012 02:25 PM

are those gussets needed? i never did them on mine. never had a problem with them.

SunDevilPilot 09-16-2012 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: swixtt

are those gussets needed? i never did them on mine. never had a problem with them.
They are not needed but for the tiny amout of weight they add there will be a dramatic increase in strength. My poor Cub hit the ground at approximately 20 degree down angle at about 40 miles per hour and a few of the cross braces of the tail popped loose. It folded my wings but I bet some gussets would have helped keep the fuse in order.

SunDevilPilot
<br type="_moz" />

Neddy191 09-16-2012 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My plans are to build the center wing section onto the cabin as 1 piece similarly to SunDevilPilots super cub build. I'd like to use 2 screws into each wing from the inside to secure the wing to the fuse. My issue is that the J3 like I'm building has a smaller window than the super cub and if I build the center section between the fuse wing rib pieces with the stock plan I won't be able to get a screw into the forward part of the wing. The stock plans call for a pretty deep ply box from the top of the wing down into the fuse that would preclude being able to install a bolt. I'm thinking if I shorten the box I might still be able to sheet the top and have the smaller window and still use a screw in the forward part of the wing. I traced the plans to make a template which includes the central wing rib shape and the cabin top piece into 1 component. I then laminated pieces of birch ply to match the fuse tickness of 7/16" and on the forward bottom of the cabin top piece left an overlap to fit the front window brace properly.

Pic 1: the laser cut center rib piece from the kit that won't be used on the build but I did use it to check the template I traced for the proper shape/size of the wing
Pic 2: the template I made
Pic 3: The newly laminated center wing pieces
Pic 4: another view
Pic 5: the center spar pieces in place

SunDevilPilot 09-16-2012 03:11 PM

Man, those pieces bring back memories! Looking good Neddy.

SunDevilPilot

acerc 09-16-2012 03:45 PM

Ned, the removable wing's is how I have done one For a fellow club member. The following pics show the wing tube, bolt's, rotation pin, and Connector for the servo's.

Neddy191 09-16-2012 04:00 PM

I like the idea of a wing tube but I don't trust my building skills enough to get the holes in the ribs for the tube in correct alignment. If the wings had no dihedral I'd be fine just stacking the ribs and drilling them all together at once.