Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Official Muggy thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 05:52 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Official Muggy thread

Nice.. No wing?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Muggy250r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice body... i guess u liked my idea with the angle iron ........i sold my muggy... either getting a savage or revo and dropping the LRP in there... so whatever i get will haul balls maybe down the road ill buy another muggy
Old 03-11-2008, 11:13 AM
docphysics

yea, that was a awesome idea! thanks!!!! Why would you prefer a revo or savage over a muggy? I think the LRP would shred the driveline of a revo.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Muggy250r

well the revo im looking at has all steel drive train... so that wouldnt be a problem... and i love the muggy to death... but the place i use to drive it the most got all built up with houses... and since the muggy is bigger it needs more room... so more or less i want or of a backyard basher... and the savage im looking at comes with a supercharger so it will be fast lol
Old 03-11-2008, 12:39 PM
HerrSavage

Well, this morning was cold and cloudy, so I spent three hours taking the engine out, checking over and reshimming the clutch, filing down on the chassis, filing down on the center-diff top-plate, which for whatever reason starting rubbing against the spur-gear as soon as I'd taken the engine out, readjusting the linkages, etc etc etc...

Anyway, the shoes and springs and bearings didn't look too bad, so I cleaned everything up, and shimmed it a bit differently, so that the bell sat a tad more forward. That plus the filing down at an angle on the top of the chassis just beneath where the bell sits, I hoped would make the diff..

Well, just put two more tanks(4 heat cylces..) through it, and there's no sign of anything on the clutch - no discoloration, no scratches, nothing.. So it seems that issue is solved..

As for the motor, I'm still being disciplined, but it IS showing signs of significant power. Half-throttle blips are resulting in rather large front-tire-pizzas..

The idle sounds weird with that pipe - kind of gurgly and raspy, but when I tried leaning it 1/8 or okay maybe 1/4 it it started showing signs of being too lean(weather was getting colder..) Anyway, it starts with the TT box in a snap, and overall seems pretty predictable.. It doesn't, at this early stage, like to be d.ixxed around with - but rather seems to run better when throttle input is on the heavier side.. All this easing into the throttle nonsense doesn't appeal to me either....
Old 03-11-2008, 01:21 PM
docphysics

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

Nice.. No wing?
I mainly use it for bashing, and I found the wing just gets in the way when it is cartwheeling along, so I took it off . But You can see the cut out in the body, in case I ever need to re-install it.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:24 PM
HerrSavage

Doesn't that remove all protection for your engine though?? [X(]
Old 03-11-2008, 02:11 PM
docphysics

na, the shell is pretty sturdy, and as you can see from pics 2 and 3 the engine sits down in there pretty good. As long as I don't go flipping WOT into a tree, should be ok.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Muggy250r

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

Doesn't that remove all protection for your engine though?? [X(]

if the body is on your fine
Old 03-11-2008, 03:11 PM
HerrSavage

I'm not so sure.. From a big flip attempt??

What if this had been on concrete?? [X(]:

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...ownLST2Dud.flv

OK, it's an LST2, but still...

And then what if you're running with the top off for tuning or whatever reason?? One flip over, one badly scraped engine.. Or worse..
Old 03-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Muggy250r

eh lol
Old 03-11-2008, 06:00 PM
tgal217
My Feedback: (1)

here is a link for the MIP clutch, they list the LST we used that clutch for our muggy. they make a light and heavy version. the light has quick response and the heavy gives it more tork. hope this helps. www.miponline.com
Old 03-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Silverfang

Hey guys. I noticed some of you from the other thread I opened up. Thanks for your feed back. I am really leaning twords the Muggy. But I have been hearing that the redcat racing monsoon is a good truck. Its about 200$ cheeper too. So I figured this would be the thread to ask why the muggy is better than the monsoon? And is it worth the extra 200.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:50 AM
docphysics

All I can tell you is that the Muggy is a quality vehicle and its easy to get parts for. I have only heard a few comments about Redcat, and that is the Monsoon is a mass produced cheap chinese knock off and its difficult or impossible to get parts for. So if you have easy access to alot of parts, go for it. Cuz in the end, you get what you pay for.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:37 PM
HerrSavage

I can't say anything about the Redcat, but I am a big Muggy fan.. With the Mug you get MT toughness and burliness, but with truggy-handling - compared to an MT...

Plus IMHO it's the best looking 1/8 MT there is..

Parts are easy to get cuz a few are interchangeable with LST2 parts.

It's a truck you can seriously bash with, or race with at I guess a more "fun" kind of level. In other words, you can tear it up just as much at the gravel pit or BMX track or skatepark as the guys with Savages, MGT's, etc..., but then smoke them on an RC track...

And yeah, there's the looks..
(Sorry, I know, I have no shame... )

Now, to be fair, the Muggy is not perfect. It gets a minus point from me cuz you need new wheels right away because of the clutch. Luckily, some guys want Muggy wheels for their LST2's, so I think there's a market for them..(I'm looking for some for my LST2..) But still, it is an added hassle(I didn't have it though cuz I bought mine as a wheelless used roller..)

Furhtermore, I think it also needs some chassis-stiffening, whether through the one-piece mount(which in turn requires a starterbox..), or through chassis side-rail thingies, that some guys make themselves...

But all in all, it's a great truck - lot of fun to drive.. The LST2 I would say is the "better" truck - but the Muggy is somehow just more fun for me..... [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Muggy250r

i love my muggy too, but im tired of fixing the gears/clutch on the thing... but its WAY better than any redcat truck...
Old 03-15-2008, 03:32 AM
PENGUINBLASTER!!!

My Muggy, thousands invested into the hobby, Most mods aren't visible.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:08 AM
docphysics

Here is my latest Muggy Vid! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OcXGg9eRV8
Old 03-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Silverfang

Thanks for your repsonses to my question. I reasearched it more then spoke to the wife. Some how I got her to let me spend the cash and I got an 8ight-T. I plan on doing a lot more racing than I origionaly thought. But thanks for your responses and keep tearing it up.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:49 AM
docphysics

weekend carnage report [:@] :

Old 03-18-2008, 09:46 AM
mustang-04

ive read a couple times form other places and people are saying to go with a 12t clutchbell??

what spur would i need for this and why would that make it easier on the clutch?

anyone know?
Old 03-18-2008, 09:59 AM
docphysics

use the same stock spur gear. Going from 13T clutch bell to 12T clutch bell reduces top end speed, but increases low end torque. Because the stock tires are somewhat big and heavy its harder to get them moving. Since the 12T increase low end torque, the engine spools up easier and the clutch engages stronger, with less slip and heat build up, thus making it easier on the clutch. Hope that makes sense.....
Old 03-18-2008, 10:06 AM
mustang-04

makes total sense

so that and a round of badlands on some dish rims i should be good to go.. maybe a new clutch in the parts tray just in case..

cheers
Old 03-18-2008, 10:08 AM
docphysics

yep, should be good to go. a spare clutch is a good idea on any vehicle.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:37 AM
artifact

ORIGINAL: plod38

Am I right in believing that losi is now shipping the muggy with a 12t clutchbell now?

I am slowly catching up and reading the pages of this thread - but does the muggy ship with an updated clutchbell?

I just bought a 2 months old muggy - how can I tell if the clutch is an updated model?

thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.