Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Genesis One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal?

i have a new lst2 and my question is...when i run the truck it has to be ran rich the first half of the tank (temp around 185 ) then during the second half of the tank it seems to lean out on it own (temp about 225) is this normal and if so why, or is there anything i can do about it the truck is a stock mach 427 thanks in advance
Old 07-29-2007, 05:17 PM
ARDV8

Default RE: Is this normal?

Have a look here

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5517128/tm.htm
Old 07-29-2007, 06:23 PM
2DMaxLST!!

That sounds perfect but I would try to go from 200 to 240.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Genesis One

i understand about the tuning process but if i tune it to run good at the beginning it will get too hot too fast like 260 - 270 before the tank is empty and i am not trying to replace the motor just yet (i would like a lot higher top speed) but i have only ran out a little over a gallon of fuel through it so far
Old 07-29-2007, 08:11 PM
2DMaxLST!!

I have a 7 gallon Mach 427 that I ran to where it was 260-270 at the end of a tank, that's a good tune.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:14 PM
Genesis One

i thought anything over 230 for an extended time was badd
Old 07-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Genesis One

also it seems when it gets that hot it runs blistering fast not that i mind i just dont want to buy a new engine in the very near future the wife will not allow it ( it cost to much money to just trash it like that)
Old 07-29-2007, 08:40 PM
2DMaxLST!!

If it is putting out good smoke you are not trashing it, you are running a properly tuned nitro engine. I do not trash anything I own.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Genesis One

well it is putting out a nice stream of smoke at that temp which means im fine cause i really like the speed when it gets that hot it will really move ( it cost to much money to just trash it like that) that is what my wife said to me and she had to go into the house when i hit a bush doin about 15 mph
Old 07-30-2007, 12:53 AM
RCtruckRacer

Temperature is not what kills engines, its lean running conditions. Even at 300 degrees, if you are not lean (not a likely combo perhaps) you will not damage an engine. My only other advice would be to work something out with the mrs. The more you get into this hobby, the more you are going to NEED. Not want, need. Need another glow plug, need another rx battery, need another part for what broke. The list is endless. I'm not saying you can't do the hobby and have a budget, I'm just saying it would be in your best interest to give something so you can get something - e.g. give the mrs something that will make it more paletable for her to watch you spend money on this hobby.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:43 AM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: RCtruckRacer

Temperature is not what kills engines, its lean running conditions. Even at 300 degrees, if you are not lean (not a likely combo perhaps) you will not damage an engine. My only other advice would be to work something out with the mrs. The more you get into this hobby, the more you are going to NEED. Not want, need. Need another glow plug, need another rx battery, need another part for what broke. The list is endless. I'm not saying you can't do the hobby and have a budget, I'm just saying it would be in your best interest to give something so you can get something - e.g. give the mrs something that will make it more paletable for her to watch you spend money on this hobby.
LOL... to get my LST2... my Mrs. had to get a $400 paper cutting machine... and a new sewing machine.. the give/get principle works, trust me... I have a LOT of hard earned money into these trucks... but my wife doesn't mind... 'cause she gets stuff too... hehehe I let her play with the MiniT.

P.S. Those temps are OK... 2D is right... 250-260 is pretty good temps... and RCtruckRacer hit it on the head... as long as it's lubricated... you're going to be OK. Good trail of smoke coming from the pipe is a good sign... I even stopped using a temp gauge for a while... I just got new batts to see where I'm at... but I tune to performance including the spit test... and smoke test.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:43 PM
iexion

RCtruckRacer & RenegadeRevo are both correct

My GF hated to see how big my truck was when i first got it and didnt like seeing how much i was spending on it (like buying a new engine after only having it for 1- no less then 2 weeks) Now the only reason why she doesnt like to drive it is because "everytime i drive your truck it dies"

For some reason i have my truck tuned really odd, it WILL die out if you dont pay attention to it (idle set too low) but if you give it a lil gas, it will get up to a higher idle but not move. Almost like a drag car having a launch point of 3500rpms. my truck kinda does the same thing ??? not that i dont mind.

But any who you are going to need some form of a budget of "rc budget" because thing are going to get broken, there no way around it. somethings are going to stop working correctly, you can/will hit something. parts can fail, thats why every single part down to the screws,engine and body can be replaced and/or custom to your taste.

I think of it like this and i say the same thing to my gf. " after all the money we spend each month (food,bills,rent, random issues) what do we have to show for it? i might (wont) get back what i put into my hobbie but atleast i can see where some of my money went "
not the best quote but for some of us it is true.[&:]
Old 07-30-2007, 01:19 PM
iexion

sorry to shift the trend into , "how to sway the Mrs into rc"

AS far as you truck goes, also keep in eye on the glow plug, this will also go you some clue on how you were running. When tuning an engine yes you do want to see some smoke. keep in mind that different fuels have different smoke levels. if the truck has smoke thru out start to finish then your good.. look for any sputtering or cutting out, those are signs that your running lean
Old 07-30-2007, 05:49 PM
Genesis One

well the wife knows that things are gonna happen she dont want me spending money every day or every other day... by the way im not a real hard basher i just run up and down the yard and jump the ramp i built (i dont get the air that you guys are getting) but it is still fun, there are a few commercial construction sites near by that i took the gen to but have not been there with my new lst2 yet but im getting there basically i have a 2 yr old and every day and night he says "take daddys big new truck outside" so i dont want him to see me doing things with my truck that he may think that he can do with his toys ... i just dont want him to grow up to be destructive like i was but oh well thanks to everyone for the info