Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Just recieved my XXL

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:10 PM
TnRCguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just recieved my XXL

Dacaur, what temps are you keeping her at for break-in? Glad you got a chance to run it, sounds fun!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:46 PM
donxavier
My Feedback: (3)

Congrats on tank #4. I only went in about 1/4 HSN and haven't touched it since. As you run more fuel it will pick up on power and speed on it's own. I have about 8 or 9 tanks total on it so far. Using the LSN did work for me. If you noticed in my first vid it was crazy out of control and I got it down with LSN. It wasn't easy but that's all I had at the time. I got the gap to go down so I'm good now. It wasn't the linkage. The first thing I did during break in was adjust it because it was outta wack. I check the linkage and make adjustments on that before I even put fuel in it but I was inpatient and excited this time, but to each his own. Finish breaking that baby in and make some vids.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:01 PM
dacaur

Well, my temps probably wont help you, because its been 30-35 degrees (F) here when I'm trying to break it in, so I have the head wrapped in tin foil... I use a blow dryer to get it up to about 120 (wont start if I don't do that), then I can start it. It didn't want go above 160-180 while breaking it in. On tank #5 I ran out of the new fuel I bought so switched over to some old fuel (really old) once I did that It started revving really high right off idle, and overheated so I shut it down, I let it cool down, reset the needles to factory, and started it again, it started, but revved really high on any gas, then the plug burnt out... I put in a new plug, but couldn't get it to start again... I believe my problem is that the old gas is bad, since it started about 20 seconds after putting the old gas in (just enough time to empty all the good fuel out of the fuel line and filter i think).... So ill have to head to the hobby shop for some new gas before I can continue
Old 03-10-2009, 11:38 PM
brentmorl

im very depressed on the quality i think to many corners were cut for the radio the linkage ball on the cerb is made of plastic and broke on the second run and spin start like everyone else and the plastic shock bodies... i tried them on my lst2 racer to kose weight and broke a few so i went back to alum the rec. batt has very low runtime the hub caps are a pain and 3 of 4 nuts were lose along with other bolts paint was wore off the body before it was even run....*** i knew this was gonna happen when gill left its to bad they had the best MT on the market and put out a "upgraded version" and it is this poorly built plus why didnt they improve the weakest links in the lst2 and add some good stuff to it like a klunk in the tank like the eights have and improve the motor brace,steering bellcrank system and tie rods
what a bummer
Old 03-11-2009, 12:12 AM
stealth_revo

Man, you gotta shorten your sentences! That was hard to read!
Old 03-11-2009, 12:31 AM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: brentmorl

im very depressed on the quality i think to many corners were cut for the radio the linkage ball on the cerb is made of plastic and broke on the second run and spin start like everyone else and the plastic shock bodies... i tried them on my lst2 racer to kose weight and broke a few so i went back to alum the rec. batt has very low runtime the hub caps are a pain and 3 of 4 nuts were lose along with other bolts paint was wore off the body before it was even run....*** i knew this was gonna happen when gill left its to bad they had the best MT on the market and put out a "upgraded version" and it is this poorly built plus why didnt they improve the weakest links in the lst2 and add some good stuff to it like a klunk in the tank like the eights have and improve the motor brace,steering bellcrank system and tie rods
what a bummer

Oh come on man, quit your whining! When you ride in a ferrari do you complain that the cup holders are in the wrong spot? I mean, are you really complaining about the hubcaps? So don't use them!! Wheel nuts loose? yea, just like every other RTR I've ever bought! Crappy plastic shocks? Again, few plastic shocks are worth a dang so no surprise there. Lets see, you are complaining that the receiver battery has low run time... I'm just happy I didn't get an empty AA holder!!! Did you really expect them to drop a 1600mah nimh in there? I didn't.... I haven't had any trouble with my carb linkage, bad luck there, but it happens....

Want my opinion? I have ALWAYS wanted an LST/LST2, but the price was just too much. There was the aftershock/ram/mega baja, but they didn't have reverse, and that's a must for me. I was getting ready to buy a T-maxx and a 2.4Ghz radio.... Then along comes this....
Mega shocks, two speed/reverse, .27/28 engine with spin/pull start, and a DX3R radio!!!! all for about the price I was going to pay for a t-maxx with the same radio....

Yea sure the spin start was put together wrong, that's a 5 min fix and you can bet that will be resolved soon, mistakes happen!, The shocks are plastic, but they work great for me. I think its awesome that it comes with the receiver battery, it has low run time? I have a charger! There is a reason its recommended you check for loose nuts and bolts on EVERY RTR, its not just this one!

For all the "trouble" I have had with it, I'm still 100% satisfied, and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

I don't ever recall reading this was an upgrade to the LST2... same as the mega baja, raminator, and aftershock weren't upgrades... Its not a racer, but its not billed as one....
Old 03-11-2009, 11:56 AM
donxavier

My bad I didn't mean to post.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:47 PM
mmduc

well, then ill post. i have many rc vehicles, lst2, revo with upgrades, savage x w/ a k4.6, savage xl, baja ss. i believe i started this thread, not that it matters. But when i got my xxl, for the price there asking, i would expect it to be pretty damn near perfect. my xxl was far from it. when i rolled the truck on the ground out of the box, there was a lot of resistance and noises that didnt seem normal to me. I pulled the rear diff, and the mesh was so bad, it was grinding. The brakes were not dragging, as i checked the linkage and maunally made sure the brakes were off. Im glad i didnt put a drop of fuel it it. I sent it back and got a refund because i think the build and quality was piss poor. I love my lst2, but the xxl for the money out of the box was not what one would expect for a truck of this price and so called caliber. If at some point they get it right, i may reconcider. my savage xl out of the box was far superior and $120 less. I was very dissapointed at the build and over all quailty of the xxl. If there are some people out there that are happy with it, and the performance it what the expected than thats cool, and i wish them the best with their xxl. I was nothing but dissapointed when i started to inspect and check it. A main was cool and gace me a refund because again, i didnt put a drop of fuel in it. maybe the next batch from Losi will be better.............
just my 3 cents
Old 03-11-2009, 09:58 PM
ilanstylz
My Feedback: (12)

I agree with mmduc......... Why should you pay top dollar for an RC, only to have problems with it before you even try and start it......... I was seriously about to buy one, but I'm glad I read up on it first and I have not read one post from all my searching that stated the XXL was perfect right out of the box.............. Losi has always been known for top quality and durable parts, I think they rushed this truck because of all the high demand...... I am still very interested in getting one, but not until Losi fixes all the problems first, then maybe I will pick one up........
Old 03-11-2009, 11:15 PM
dacaur

you have to remember, you aren't paying $600 for the LST XXL. You are really paying $400 for the truck, the other $200 is for the DX3s. No way I would have bought one at that price if it didn't come with a $250 radio.... The radio is what makes it worth the high price.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:16 PM
stealth_revo

Well said.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:29 AM
brentmorl

dacaur the radio is onley 40 bucks more then the old JR that came with it ...lol and im glad that im not the onley one that stood up to say the quality of this truck sucks
Old 03-12-2009, 06:26 AM
ilanstylz
My Feedback: (12)

So you pay 250 for a good radio when I got the same one for 165 brand new, and then on top of that pay 400 for something that doesn't even work right out of the box??????????? HMMMMMMMM I still don't see any deal in that..................
Old 03-12-2009, 06:28 AM
TnRCguy

You guys are acting like EVERYBODY that has gotten these trucks are having major problems. There have only been one that I know of that had a major defect, mmduc's diff issue. And a couple of other very small issues that could be resolved by simply checking over the truck before it's ever ran, like every RTR should have done! But other than that I would say for a fresh model release the issues have been very minimal.

Seems like the ones that take the time to go over the truck first are having very minimal issues if any(mmduc is an exception). Theres plenty that have them and have fixed the small issues and are completely satisfied, then there a very few that had an issue with them and are bad mouthing the truck now like it was being shipped with bad mills, bad trannies, or DOA radio's. It's a new model people, this has always happened with new models and it always will. With ANY brand!!

It only takes a few bad apples to ruin the bunch.......

I'm not saying the quality shouldnt be better, because I think it should. But in no way would it keep me from buying this truck. This truck, and radio is a way better deal than the other RTR monster trucks out there. Even if I have to take the time and prep it right out of the box. So, to each is own.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:38 PM
brentmorl

whatever whats new on the truck from the lst2???????....the chassis and motor you act like its a whole new truck . i buy all my 1/8 scales in kit form and its good to put the whole thing together and it would be great if they offered a lst as a kit but they dont and on a rtr truck there SHOULD NOT be anything assembled wrong or uncompete rtr means ready to run ......what about newcomers to the hobby you think they deserve to buy a 600 dollar truck first time owning one and tear the **** out of the diffs (which on this forum alone theres like 3-4 of us that have had probs. with them) and its there fault now if you go buy a 09 chevy,ford, or dodge would you or do people there there truck down out of the dealer to see if its assembled right????? its the same point wake up a little there should be NO problems out of the box mabee 1 in 5000
Old 03-12-2009, 08:26 PM
TnRCguy

ORIGINAL: brentmorl

whatever whats new on the truck from the lst2???????....the chassis and motor you act like its a whole new truck . i buy all my 1/8 scales in kit form and its good to put the whole thing together and it would be great if they offered a lst as a kit but they dont and on a rtr truck there SHOULD NOT be anything assembled wrong or uncompete rtr means ready to run ......what about newcomers to the hobby you think they deserve to buy a 600 dollar truck first time owning one and tear the **** out of the diffs (which on this forum alone theres like 3-4 of us that have had probs. with them) and its there fault now if you go buy a 09 chevy,ford, or dodge would you or do people there there truck down out of the dealer to see if its assembled right????? its the same point wake up a little there should be NO problems out of the box mabee 1 in 5000
First off, I normally dont play the grammar police, but damn you really need to work on your grammar and punctuation! Your post are hard as hell to understand. Obviously, you dont really get the point. Comparing these RC MT's to 1/1 cars is ridiculous. Theres no comparison. 1/1 cars are made to be reliable, emission compliant, pass safety standards, etc. Lots of stuff that require VIGOROUS testing to make sure that they meet certain criteria before they even leave the factory. The cars also have fine adjustments being made throughout the testing process. THEN, even with all the numerous testing/adjusting thats performed on these vehicles, bad vehicles still make it to the dealers and to consumers!! Are you telling me that every new car is perfect! NO, ever heard of a lemon? It happens everywhere, every brand, every industry. Point is, these trucks are not made to pass test like these because they know people like you and me buy these trucks, beat the hell out of them, race em, break em, etc(and obviously our personal safety is not really at risk when driving RC's). So to compare the two is... well stupid. Apples to oranges man!

So, a few here are blowing this way out of proportion. Have you actually thought about what issues have popped up since they've been released? Probably not. Theres been ONE diff issue which I consider to be a major defect. A few issues with the rotostart that is a super easy fix, and was a stupid mistake but a minor mistake none the less. Then a couple that have had tuning issues, but if I remember correctly these couple having issues were out in cold cold weather. Is that new? I think not. I dont consider that a defect at all. Then a few were having idle issues from the needle not being seated good, which is a super easy fix and something I consider to be a minor defect. Next, their have been a few that needed the linkages adjusted! OMG! Adjusting the linkage, oh noes!!![sm=drowning.gif]I'd say that is typical and every RTR should have this done(or atleast checked) before ever being ran. So, thats 4 issues and only one that is a major defect. Wow, thats sooooo bad....

I'm not saying that it's ok for the trucks to have these problems consistently. But, overall I think that only one major defect is pretty damn good! Especially for a new release.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:45 PM
mmduc

Not trying to stir the pot any further, but someone said above about the high quaility radio. again, im not starting any ****, but i didnt think the radio was all that great either. i know its a $250 radio, but the one that came with mine felt kinda cheap, the cases didnt line up, the flat black paint was all scratched, and it kinda felt a little flimsy. i can tell you its certainly not the DX3R. they do LOOK similar, but they are totally different. Im really bummed out, because the xxl LOOKED so awesome next to my other trucks. maybe i did get a lemon. id like people to continue their reviews of the xxl, because i really would like to buy one, id just like it to be pretty close out of the box.
again, just my 3 cents. im glad some people out there are having positive results with theirs, ive seen some vids and the xxl looks really awesome when dialed in.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:06 PM
TnRCguy

Well, of course it's not the DX3R, they never said it was.....

"Spektrum's DX3S 3-Channel sport radio system with 2.4GHz DSM technology lets LST XXL drivers and racers experience the next level in precise control, while offering the added benefit of integrated telemetry. The addition of integrated telemetry provides users with real-time information such as head temperature, speed/RPM and voltage information"

I remember you talking about the case, and the overall cheap feel of the controller. And if thats the case then that does kinda suck! I will say that your the only one to complain about that so far, so hopefully it was just yours(or you J/K). From the vids I've seen it looks awesome and I'm sure I'll be satisfied with it even if it does have a cheap feeling case. With the features of the radio, and the truck. It still cant be beat in my book.

Maybe the truck you got had been assembled by an employee sniffing a little too much nitro......[sm=bananahead.gif]haha
Old 03-12-2009, 09:23 PM
mmduc

lol, just wondering if you have yours yet? my point about the radio was that posts above said that your getting a $250 radio. i was simply saying that it does look VERY SIMILAR to the DX3R, but its a better quaility radio, thats all. i know the xxl states is comes with the DX3S, i just want people to realize there is a difference. im thinking on maybe ordering another xxl in the near future, and ultimate hobby does list it at $599, but they dont have any in stock at the moment. Let me know how you make out with yours .
Old 03-12-2009, 09:25 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: donxavier

decaur... I was the one having issues with my idle gap not closing so I was using the LSN as DawgBone suggested to get the right air vs fuel mixture as mentioned way above. Read post #41 and post #61 on this thread. I know where the screw is located, remember I posted pics of the carb for you. I also mention above I finally got the gap to close after removing the carb and messing with it.

I hope this clears things up.

Hey I don't know if you got this resolved..... I watched the vid again, and it looks like you were turning the LSN in... You actually need to turn it out (richer) to lower the idle if its high due to being too lean on the LSN, which it sounds like in the vid.. If you got it handled already forget I said anything...

Back to my XXL..... Man, I FINALY have all my issues resolved (my latest issue was the bad fuel and a alkaline glow warmer that couldn't...) and got through my last tank of break-in and was able to get her semi-tuned and open her up. HSN is at 2 3/4 still, LSN is at a little over 2 1/2. Holy cow is all I can say(in a g forum )!! All I could do today is speed runs up and down my street... got up to 41MPH with the engine running pig rich (cold weather and high altitude). I'm so impressed with this truck,,,, I took some vids ill post a little later. Two speed shifts perfectly just as it was set from the factory... Need to cut a hole in the windshield, as it overheated even in 40F weather, though to be fair I had half the head covered in aluminum foil... It ran about 190 with half the head covered and body off, and was fine doing speed runs with the body on, but then overheated when I stopped doing speed runs with the body on (head still have covered)...

Those who aren't buying one or returned theirs well, you are missing out, this thing rocks.... cant wait to get it out to do some real offroading..... I wasn't expecting this kind of power!!! I had a .21 T-maxx that was nothing compared to this!

As for the DX3s radio, I don't have any problems with it. I think people say it feels "cheap" or "flimsy" because its so darn LIGHT.... Since it only runs on 4AA's instead of 8... Being light is a good thing. I had a futaba 3PM Fasst that I sold a couple months ago, and I don't think the DX3s feels any more flimsy than the futaba...
Old 03-12-2009, 09:27 PM
donxavier

ORIGINAL: donxavier

The radio is awesome! it makes the break in so much easier to have the temp. in real time, but mmduc is right about the quality. It's a shame too, why make such a great radio and have it protected by cheap plastic. The paint is already coming off.

I mentioned the radio case being made of cheap plastic.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 PM
mmduc

+1. and i simply stated the cases didnt line up properly, and the black paint was pealing. i undertsand its a light radio, i just know i wasnt very impressed with it. im glad yours is working out good for you, and your enjoying it. seems like you love yours, and thats awesome. Thats what this hobby is all about right, having fun! keep us posted on your futher break in and tuning, im really curious to see if it does in fact do close to 50 mph.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:37 PM
TnRCguy

ORIGINAL: mmduc

lol, just wondering if you have yours yet? my point about the radio was that posts above said that your getting a $250 radio. i was simply saying that it does look VERY SIMILAR to the DX3R, but its a better quaility radio, thats all. i know the xxl states is comes with the DX3S, i just want people to realize there is a difference. im thinking on maybe ordering another xxl in the near future, and ultimate hobby does list it at $599, but they dont have any in stock at the moment. Let me know how you make out with yours .
Mine is coming in tomorrow! I cant wait! I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:39 PM
TnRCguy

Ha, that is awesome! Glad to hear you got a chance to get her broken in!
Old 03-12-2009, 09:42 PM
mmduc

where did you order yours from?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.