Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Just recieved my XXL

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 12:41 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just recieved my XXL

HSN-2 3/4, LSN-2 1/2
Old 03-08-2009, 12:43 PM

And for the LSN, do you have to open throttle all the way when you screw it all the way down and back out 2.5 turns? I've been told both ways...
Old 03-08-2009, 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

If your idle is lowish, how do you tune the LSN to up the idle a bit?? Leaner, right??
Yup....
but just for the Spec3 and Losi 454....

[edit] actually... while I was sitting here, I pulled the carbreal quick... I think it was a combination of the main needle not seating in the jet completely flush....and not having enough close pressure in the linkage....
I worked the main needle a bit, and now it will no longer let any air by when the idle is all the way out, and the throttle closed...

Will test a bit later, once I'm done mowing grass...
Old 03-08-2009, 01:37 PM

My idle is just to high and the IN ( I meant idle screw) has no effect on it?
Old 03-08-2009, 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: donxavier

My idle is just to high and the IN has no effect on it?
"IN"??

If your idle is high then you should be adjusting the idle "OUT" or in better words, closing the idle gap....
Old 03-08-2009, 02:11 PM

I'm sure glad you fellas are figuring this out early so a noob like me can get it running top notch without as much troubleshooting! Thanks guys!!
Old 03-08-2009, 02:12 PM

"IN" means the idle needle, I did turn it out and it for some reason it rived more (yesterday). So I put it back the way it was. I just took the carb out and started messing with it and noticed you have to really, really unscrew it to close the gap. That will make a big diferrence.

I was checking your vid DawgBone and was wondering how many tanks for break in you ran before you tuned for performance?
Old 03-08-2009, 02:48 PM

im just glad i sent mine back, i didnt run any fuel thru it, i think im gonna get a refund. again, i have many trucks, and for the price this thing cost, it should be good out of the box. i just installed a picco .27 that i had in my lst2. runs awesome, wheelies no problem, i think i have a small leak in my fuel tank, as its suckin air once in a while. when losi gets their stuff together, then maybe ill get another xxl. all i know is my savages have never had problems like people are having with the xxl. like i said, when i got mine, it looks like the thing was slapped together. the diff. mesh was so poor, both front and back. the thing that pissed me off the most was the service i got from horizon, they wanted me to send back the diffs so they could try them in another xxl. im like, i didnt even put 1 drop of fuel thru this thing, are you kidding me. I bought it thru amain, and they have been really good about the whole thing. good luck to those who have an xxl, hope you guys can figure out all the bs this truck comes with.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:56 PM

If your idle is lowish, how do you tune the LSN to up the idle a bit?? Leaner, right??
NOOOOOO.

If your idle is too low, you need to adjust the idle screw, turn it in (clockwise) the LSN is the last thing you adjust when you are tuning, one you have the HSN dialed in....
Old 03-08-2009, 03:44 PM

"IN" means the idle needle, I did turn it out and it for some reason it rived more (yesterday). So I put it back the way it was. I just took the carb out and started messing with it and noticed you have to really, really unscrew it to close the gap. That will make a big diferrence.

I was checking your vid DawgBone and was wondering how many tanks for break in you ran before you tuned for performance?

IF you were turning it out and it was revving higher, then that would mean that you are too lean on the LSN......at least I think...

As for breakin... I usually just burn a 1/4 gallon of fuel, progressively showing it more and more RPM's each tank) before I start tuning for performance...
Lately, I just do about 4-5 tanks(220cc) before i start giving it short full throttle blips.... I never really hold full throttle till it's closing in on a gallon deep...

Never really done the math, but I bet 5 220cc tanks is fairly close to a 1/4 gallon...
Old 03-08-2009, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: dacaur

NOOOOOO.

If your idle is too low, you need to adjust the idle screw, turn it in (clockwise) the LSN is the last thing you adjust when you are tuning, one you have the HSN dialed in....
If your carb won't close all the way as mentioned above(read above post).... then what are you left to do?
It's all about how much air vs how much fuel... even on the idle gap and LSN... so if you're idle gap will not shut, and more less stationary.... then yes, you can play with the LSN to get the right air vs fuel mixture....

IMO... the LSN and idle gap is THE most important adjustment on these engines....
Old 03-08-2009, 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: DawgBone

NOOOOOO.

If your carb won't close all the way as mentioned above(read above post).... then what are you left to do?
It's all about how much air vs how much fuel... even on the idle gap and LSN... so if you're idle gap will not shut, and more less stationary.... then yes, you can play with the LSN to get the right air vs fuel mixture....

IMO... the LSN and idle gap is THE most important adjustment on these engines....
HerrSavage didn't say anything about his carb not closing, he asked how to up his idle, and messing with the LSN is NOT the way to do that.... adjusting the idle screw is. The LSN should be used for adjusting how the engine runs from just off idle to about 1/4 throttle, and ONLY after the HSN has been tuned.... But the only thing you should mess with to get a good idle is the idle screw
Old 03-08-2009, 07:12 PM

WOOT! Finally, success!

Just ran my first break-in tank. I did it in my backyard alternating between idling and driving slowly in an oval, waiting for it to fully cool before tank #2........ I turned the HSN and LSN all the way in and then back out to the break in setting, and it turned out my HSN was set 1/2 turn too far out from the factory, which explains my flooding problems.... So after doing that I wrapped the head in foil again, hit it with the hair dryer, and it started right up...

I did just get a normal spinstart backplate, since the combo is over $20, and the regular is $7, just had to elongate/enlarge the screw holes slightly for it to fit..... after looking at it compared to the combo spin/pull start, its way beefier, I'm not too surprised the combo part broke, the normal spinstart piece where the spinstart shaft goes in is thin for about 1/4" then gets thick, but the combo piece is thin for the entire length that the spinstart shaft goes in... for normal post-break in use I'm sure it would hold up fine, but tight cylinder plus flooding = breakage.... once I get it broken in fully, I think i will get another combo unit, because I do like the idea of being able to pull-start it....

To get the backplate off you have to remove the engine.... man that's a PITA with the tools that come with the truck! do yourself a favor and before you remove your engine, get a long ball end hex wrench....

Another thing I noticed... when I removed the fuel tank, under it there was a hole with a plastic grommet in it, like the ones the servo wires go through... it was at the back end of the battery pack, but the wires from the battery come up through hole under the engine.... It looks like someone miscalculated the wire length required and instead of pushing the release back furthar, they just brought the wires up there instead of the hole it was supposed to come up under the gas tank.... I can see this being a problem in the future, as the wires chafe against the side of the hole, since all the pics I have seen of peoples xxl's are the same way... I recommend you all check yours and lengthen the wires to bring it up under the gas tank if its not already, or at least put a little tape on the chassis so the wires don't chafe................
Old 03-08-2009, 08:02 PM

That hole is for four wheel steering servo's wire....

The battery pack's wire is suppose to come up just behind the engine's backplate....
Old 03-08-2009, 08:04 PM

NOOOOOO.

HerrSavage didn't say anything about his carb not closing, he asked how to up his idle, and messing with the LSN is NOT the way to do that.... adjusting the idle screw is. The LSN should be used for adjusting how the engine runs from just off idle to about 1/4 throttle, and ONLY after the HSN has been tuned.... But the only thing you should mess with to get a good idle is the idle screw

I think you mis-understood.... []
Old 03-08-2009, 08:11 PM

That hole is for four wheel steering servo's wire....

The battery pack's wire is suppose to come up just behind the engine's backplate....
seems silly considering the edge of the chassis right there is fairly sharp... not razor sharp of course, but definatly sharp enough to cut through the plasitc on the wires over time.....
Old 03-09-2009, 06:50 PM

im so bummed.... was going to finish my break-in today... but there is over an inch of snow outside and still snowing hard
Old 03-09-2009, 07:28 PM

Ah, that sucks man.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:56 PM

Here goes some LST XXL footage guys. Be nice I had to get use to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DogGg5rwJ9w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwvCVHUm0Hs
Old 03-10-2009, 01:59 PM

Good Vid's! Good to see Trucks doing what there meant to do (How you liking the XXL Vs the XL?)
Old 03-10-2009, 03:48 PM

So far as I can tell there is a difference. I had to get use to the XXL as you saw For now though I'll say I like the way my LST2 handles but who knows I only ran about 3 tanks total bashing after break in. I need more runs to really say.

dacaur, sorry to hear about the snow. I know the feeling. That's why I had the truck for a week before I broke it in.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:53 PM

Here goes some LST XXL footage guys. Be nice I had to get use to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DogGg5rwJ9w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwvCVHUm0Hs
dude, in the vid where you say the idle is too high and then the idle screw isnt making a difference... you are adjusting the LSN, not the idle screw, that's why its not helping. You get at the idle screw from the gas tank side of the engine, basically directly opposite from the screw you are adjusting, right at the base of the air filter (not the the HSN)
Old 03-10-2009, 06:20 PM

I was thining the same thing when he did that! But how did it still run so well? Moving the LSN 1/4 turn can screw you...
Old 03-10-2009, 06:33 PM

decaur... I was the one having issues with my idle gap not closing so I was using the LSN as DawgBone suggested to get the right air vs fuel mixture as mentioned way above. Read post #41 and post #61 on this thread. I know where the screw is located, remember I posted pics of the carb for you. I also mention above I finally got the gap to close after removing the carb and messing with it.

I hope this clears things up.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:40 PM

Well that's the thing, you shouldn't be using the LSN to try to lower the idle... if you are screwing out the idle screw and the gap isn't getting smaller, its possible you need to lower the trim on your radio, Ive had that problem, your idle gap shouldn't change at all from neutral to full brakes, if it does you need to lower your throttle trim or adjust your linkage, the carb should be totally closed at idle, but the idle gap should still be there... Trust me, despite what anyone else has said, trying to adjust your idle with the LSN is just going to make the engine harder to tune. I realise that someone said above that you can do it, but from your own experience you can see it doesn't work.....

As for my XXL, just ran break in tank #4 out in the street, since its dry and my Yard is still covered in snow..... its so hard not to peg the throttle.... I got it up to 25, and i can see there is so much more potential waiting to be unleashed!!!! I started tuning the HSN, went in about 1/4 turn, and went in a little on the LSN too.....

Now waiting for her to cool down for tank #5, and after that, its full throttle baby!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.