Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jetcat 180RX

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jetcat 180RX

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:06 AM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jetcat 180RX

Guys, I am thinking of getting one of the new 180RX engines from Jetcat. Any reviews on its performance would be great.

Cheers
Old 01-17-2012, 03:23 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jetcat 180RX

Hi Anurag,

You have very good timing! I took delivery a week ago and carried out some ground tests on Sunday in my Airworld Cougar.

I have to say the installation on the new RX range is silly easy. It makes the idea of swapping a turbine between models even more feasible and quick.

Start up was perfect and very very smooth and the usual JetCat reliablilty shone through. Learn low was spot on and I was well happy...........until I opened the throttle from idle to half power - I thought something was wrong. There was no reaction for about 3-4 seconds and then it spooled up.

I tried again. The same. Stopped and restarted and the same. Checked the ECU and all parameters looked fine.

Tried again. Idled for ten seconds, moved stick to half power, counted to three and returned the stick to idle before the turbine even responded.

As a replacement to the 160SX and as a "180", I was expecting more power and at least the same throttle response. In fact, BVM's website advertises it with "The engine follows throttle commands almost without delay. New ECU V10.0" so if I was lucky I was hoping for a little quicker response.

There was another user of the 180 who I found had the exact same issue so it wasn't just mine.

So, with everything not seeming right I spoke to Jetcat and nearly fell off my chair. Apparently this is the throttle response they have specifically mapped in the ECU. They say it is to ensure totally reliable operation from -20 to +50 i.e Finland to Dubai and they know it "may not be great".

I asked why, when it is likely 80% of their customer base don't fly in extremes, they don't have a 'normal' weather mapping. Their response was that they would think about a "European" ECU mapping but this could take some time!

I love JetCat turbines. I've never had any problems with them and have supported them but I do think they have really dropped the ball on this one. To discontinue the 160SX and replace it with a turbine that has throttle response similar to my original 8yr old P120 surprises me.

I only hope they pull out the stops and sort this out as at full power the engine was amazingly strong!

Hope that helps? [&:]

PS I'd be interested to hear from other who may have used one in the more extreme environments to see what you think of the response and how it compares to other turbines you're running.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:32 AM
Ragz

Does the 140RX do the same? I am about to install it in my Ultra flash this evening... It is going to replace a classic P120.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:40 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Mark,
I have the same feeling about the P100RX, I flew it this weekend for the first time, the response was set to "Normal" from factory, with that it took forever to spool up, I changed it to fast, that helped a bit, but still slow !
(I feel that my 160SX's and 200SX's are "lightning fast" compared to this)
Old 01-17-2012, 03:48 AM
Geoff White

Anurag,

I also own a 180rx and have in fact got 2 hours run time on mine already. I am the other user that Mark refers to and we have been conversing offline. My experience is exactly the same as Marks, in that its simple to install, it starts and runs beautifully but the spool up time from idle is 'not good'. It reminds me of the original P120/P80's from back when I started flying turbines in 2000/2001.

I do believe Jetcat will act on our comments and resolve the issue but the clock is ticking. I was planning on upgrading my second P160sx to a P180 but I am holding fire until I see some resolution from Jetcat.

In the meantime, I will continue to fly mine in my Ultra Lightning as the extra power over the P160sx is fun and I am just relearning to use a manual idle up(i.e don't close the throttle all the way if you want it to spool up quickly)

Geoff.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:49 AM
Ragz

Does this have anything to do with the fact that jetcat have kept the diameter to the smaller 160/120 size?  Was the acceleration of the classic 180 (larger dia) better then the 180RX?
Old 01-17-2012, 03:53 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you try changing the throttle setting from "normal" to fast?? Two of my friends have P-100`s and they had a slow spool up until the setting was changed, now they are fine.

Vin..
Old 01-17-2012, 03:57 AM
Geoff White

Vin - yes everything has been set to fast.

Anurag - I am told the design of the combustion chamber has changed to enable more power to be extracted for the 180 but the down side is that its more sensitive to changes in pressure/temperature.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:58 AM
Colin Gontier

ORIGINAL: Ragz

Does the 140RX do the same? I am about to install it in my Ultra flash this evening... It is going to replace a classic P120.
Anurag, I have a 140RX installed in my Alpha Jet and I have not noticed any difference in spool up time compared to the 120SX. I must say I wasn't looking out for any delay but I certainly haven't felt a delay like the guys are talking about with the 180's so it must be fine !

Colin

Old 01-17-2012, 04:00 AM
Carsten Groen

ORIGINAL: Vincent

Did you try changing the throttle setting from ''normal'' to fast?? Two of my friends have P-100`s and they had a slow spool up until the setting was changed, now they are fine.

Vin..
Vincent,
yes, the P100 was set to "normal" from factory, I changed it to "Fast", and it was indeed a little faster, but not "lightning" as f.ex the 160SX and 200SX
Old 01-17-2012, 04:03 AM
schroedm

Anurag,

Without doing 'proper' testing I can't say 100% but I would suggest they are about the same. The larger 180 may even be a little quicker with the 180RX at 'normal' settings.

The larger 180 also puts out more power - 45lbs don't forget albeit from a much larger can size.

Rgds,
Mark
Old 01-17-2012, 05:16 AM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Carsten Groen

ORIGINAL: Vincent

Did you try changing the throttle setting from ''normal'' to fast?? Two of my friends have P-100`s and they had a slow spool up until the setting was changed, now they are fine.

Vin..
Vincent,
yes, the P100 was set to ''normal'' from factory, I changed it to ''Fast'', and it was indeed a little faster, but not ''lightning'' as f.ex the 160SX and 200SX
As a reference, I went to the P100 from an old non SE P80 and it is a lot faster! I set everything to fast from day one and I've been happy with the performance.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:47 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Guys, it could be that the combustion chamber is so much pushed to the limit that it is prone to flameouts during acceleration.
In that case, the only way to stabilize Acycle is to slow down the acceleration.
It could be that the issue that delayed the 100RX production is also the same.
Only time will tell.

Anyway, if this is the case, only a hardware solution is going to cure the problem ( ie a different combustion chamber/ compressor/ diffuser/ NGV/ turbine wheel )
Old 01-17-2012, 05:51 AM
schroedm

ORIGINAL: olnico

Guys, it could be that the combustion chamber is so much pushed to the limit that it is prone to flameouts during acceleration.
In that case, the only wy to stabilize the cycle is to slow down the acceleration.
Only time will tell.
Then that would seem to be the worst replacement of a fast throttling P160SX there could be. What were they thinking?!!! []

Old 01-17-2012, 06:00 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

This is being looked at...
We are going to test some electronic changes and will report back...

Dave Wilshere
Old 01-17-2012, 06:11 AM
olnico

ORIGINAL: schroedm

In that case, the only wy to stabilize the cycle is to slow down the acceleration.
Only time will tell.
Then that would seem to be the worst replacement of a fast throttling P160SX there could be. What were they thinking?!!! []

Well not automatically. Throttle response is not everything and we used to be quite happy with the first P-80 and P-120.
These engines have a legendary reliability...
Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Only time will tell.

More power!!!

I have been a Jetcat flyer for many years and own three sx series motors. When i watched my friend running his P-100 in the start up area i asked for the tx and did some taxing with his jet. I was surprised how slow the spool up was compared to my sx motors. He switched it to fast and is happy with the performance now.
Vin...
Old 01-17-2012, 06:33 AM
olnico

Yes, it might be that more power comes at a price. Bear in mind that the engine is the same size as the 160 SX.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:33 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I mentioned this in the last P-100 thread and got flamed for it. The motor is fine in the fast setting.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:34 AM
schroedm

Only time will tell.

Well not automatically. Throttle response is not everything and we used to be quite happy with the first P-80 and P-120.
Oliver,

OK, I appreciate that but when a manufacturer launches a new product to replace the previous version I'm sure you wouldn't expect it to take you back a decade in terms of performance. There is no point in doing this for 3.5lbs extra thrust. I'd have stuck with my 160SXs had I known. Bit misleading to use marketing such as "The engine follows throttle commands almost without delay" etc especially when they knew all along it would be very slow.

Rgds,
Mark
Old 01-17-2012, 06:47 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Only time will tell.

Oliver,

OK, I appreciate that but when a manufacturer launches a new product to replace the previous version I'm sure you wouldn't expect it to take you back a decade in terms of performance. There is no point in doing this for 3.5lbs extra thrust. I'd have stuck with my 160SXs had I known. Bit misleading to use marketing such as ''The engine follows throttle commands almost without delay'' etc especially when they knew all along it would be very slow.

Rgds,
Mark
They didn't mention how slow they moved the stick
Old 01-17-2012, 06:56 AM
olnico

ORIGINAL: quist

Only time will tell.

Oliver,

OK, I appreciate that but when a manufacturer launches a new product to replace the previous version I'm sure you wouldn't expect it to take you back a decade in terms of performance. There is no point in doing this for 3.5lbs extra thrust. I'd have stuck with my 160SXs had I known. Bit misleading to use marketing such as ''The engine follows throttle commands almost without delay'' etc especially when they knew all along it would be very slow.

Rgds,
Mark
They didn't mention how slow they moved the stick
Good point
Old 01-17-2012, 07:33 AM
Carsten Groen

Got a mail from jetcat, they have this problem solved on the P180RX it appears, they will swap my ECU's and that should fix it
The P100RX is due for the testbench next week, they will do the same fix to that also

So, it seems there is some progress [8D]
Old 01-17-2012, 07:40 AM
schroedm

Eh?!?!? Really? Yesterday it was going to "take some time..."

Old 01-17-2012, 07:57 AM
SniperWj

ORIGINAL: Carsten Groen

Got a mail from jetcat, they have this problem solved on the P180RX it appears, they will swap my ECU's and that should fix it
The P100RX is due for the testbench next week, they will do the same fix to that also

So, it seems there is some progress [8D]

now that make me feel better!! hope those new rx come with updated ecu.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.