Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Ziroli F6F Hellcat Builder's Diary

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Ziroli F6F Hellcat Builder's Diary

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 11:52 PM
tpc3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ziroli F6F Hellcat Builder's Diary

mirce ,

Thanks for all the great pictures they will help me alot, I have just worked with ARF's but now I am going to tackle the Hellcat. I noticed that you have 3 exhaust stacks poking out from under the cowl are they functional. If they are functional did you make the exhaust or does someone make it.
Just to ket you know Yahoo translat does a good job.

I will be starting my build this winter so keep the pictures coming.

Tom Connell
Montague, Ca

Old 11-02-2009, 06:35 AM
mirce

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi TPC 3,

my friend and I was making that exhaust. We are firtst round off main tube and weld holders on it. For tamplate we are using first rib of the fuselage.
At the end of tubes we weld two lids...
After that we can fix exhaust on first rib.
On our exhaust we make 10 holes and add 10 little tubes. We are taking care about how long they need to be, to be paralel and in the middle of the exhaust holes in fuselage...

So that is it for now...

Now I need to make some parts with which I will bind Zenoah with this our exhaust system... All photos about that, will be post on my site in near future...

I will use Zenoah 62 for my Hellcat. First I will make test how much revs it will have with standard exhaust, and after that, with this our exhaust... All in all, this is experiment and right now I am not sure will it work or not...

But, it is nice detail and I will need weight in front of Hellcat, so that is better than lead...

Mirce
Old 11-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Detlef Schmidt

Hi Mirce,

with Zenoag G-62 you might be a little bit short of power and you have horrible vibrations when you are not using a mounting-system with silent-blocks.

I was using a Zenoah G-80 2-cylinder before I used the MOKI radial.

The G-80 was providing sufficient power for scale-displays and perfect sound.

There is enough space to fit it perfectly under the cowl.

The weight in the nose you will need anyway.

best regards

Detlef
Old 11-02-2009, 08:44 AM
mirce

Hello Detlef,

I am little afraid that G-62 will not have sufficient power but, on this post I read that someone was put that engine and his Hellcat is 17,7 kg, and it flight fine... I will see...

My second option is maybe DL 110...

I have Top Flite's Thunderbolt which is with fuel almost 13 kg and, have G-45 on it. It flight very nice, but to be sincere, a little more power will be better...

Moki is so grate, I have opportunity to listen that engines on Top Gun in few past years. It is music for ears...

Mirce

Old 11-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Detlef Schmidt

Hi Mirce,

yes MOKI sounds like music, but its effort to keep it running.

With DLE 111 you have to pay attention as it needs an expansion exhaust and about 130 - 150 mm minimum-length of exhaust-manifold so you have CG moving backwards and you will need more lead in the nose.

Using the Zenoah G-80 2-cylinder I already was using about 2.000 g lead in the nose to balance my CG !!!

I still have my former Zenoah ZG-80 package here which was working perfectly before I installed my MOKI.

This is the great advantage of the Zenoah engines that they do not need manifold-length as the ignition-timing is not agressive.

As well they are not sensitive about temperature - they are used to be "cooked" in chain-saws and other tools.

best reagrds,

Detlef
Old 11-02-2009, 02:58 PM
mirce

Detlef thanks for informations about DL...

I was reading about your need to add 2 kg weight in front of your model.
Mein Got, how many lead I will add on G 62... G 62 is almost 2 kg easyer than GT 80...

I have three G 45 on my three models (CMP Zero, Top Flite Thunderbolt and CAP 232).
All in all, I made almost 250 flights with all three model together and have just one time problem with engine...
I like Zenoah sooooooo much...

This year on Top Gun I have few conversation with guys who have Moki motors. Many of them have problems with brand new engines. Some send new Mokies back in firm where they buy it and get new motors back...
But they told me when they fix everything Moki work very good...

Here on RC Universe, my friend, Scott Prosen start post about Moki engines. Scott is graet man and he know a lot of about this engines... Here is a link:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8946260/tm.htm

Detlaf, do you maybe want to sell your G 80?

All the best from Novi Sad, Serbia

Mirce
Old 11-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Detlef Schmidt

Dear Mirce,

yes it might be possible that I will sell my ZG-80 to you.

I will send you a private message regarding this, or you email me to [email protected]

About MOKI I have also some experience now and its a beautiful piece of engineering but its a little "diva" and needs lot of attention.

But everytime I listen to the sound after some maintance job I forget all efforts.

best regards

Detlef
Old 11-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Nickrc3
My Feedback: (6)

Reason I ask is it took 9 lbs in the nose which is a 3 lb bracket and a 6 lb lead brick bolted inside the bracket.
...why I extended the nose 2.5" on my Z- Hellcat.
I've done this on three of my Ziroli warbirds and effectively reduced nose ballast by 50-70%. No one ever commented on the appearance. Simply extend the doublers, mount mount box and related pieces.
Using a GT-80 also.

Mirce, thanks so much for your webpage. Though I could not translate, the pictures were extremely helpful throughout construction.

NICK
Old 11-03-2009, 03:40 PM
pitsspecial

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Guys,

Well its just about the end of the summer here in the U.K. i had a good offer to sell my old Ziroli Hellcat so ive sold it.......[sm=sad_smile.gif]

......BUT!!!......... ive picked up a 3/4 built Hellcat.... it looks like its been built from a cnc cut kit, fuz is just about finished, the wing is a 3 peice unit, but i will probly keep it fitted as one as i dont have storage problem, the wing and the tail needs finishing, ive picked up a 3W 75 las vegas engine with smoke muffler, main gear is Robart, ive ordered the tailwheel unit from Sierra, i have deviated from the plans with the hinging, it wont be spot on scale but things like top hinged ailerons i dont like! cockpit is a DBALSA kit with a BBI pilot, ive started on it, hope to have it complete for next years flying season!

HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!!!!

Di n Dave....
Old 11-04-2009, 02:43 PM
larry sr.

larry;what i need is instructions and pictures for fiber glass fuseloge?i have a nick ziroli 1/5 scale f6f hellcat i am one of those people that need to see pictures to put this plane togetherlease help. ps; i have looked everywhere but no one has what i am looking for.send construction picti\ures, step by step please.......
Old 11-04-2009, 07:04 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Larry, don't worry or make too much out of the glass fuse. I'm not aware of a lot of pics anywhere of the Hellcat glass fuse build up, but, it would be like any other glass fuse build...just adding the fuse formers where needed if any (slide them into place and epoxy them in place), probably starting the assembly at the back first...make the cutout for the stab, slide it into place and glue it...install the pushrods and supports, do the vertical stab, and/or rudder, etc. Some fuses will need more or less support in them..but you might kind of do as you prefer for where to mount servos, etc. I've done several glass fuse builds, so feel free to ask if you've got questions. The fuse probably wont need much support...but you can glass in the formers and firewall for better strength. Hysol or epoxy are good on the formers and firewall. The glass fuse probably makes it easier to put the engine on honestly. Would guess that the firewall doesn't have the engine box cut out, and thus you would just mount the engine on a thick hardwood block, or standoffs to the firewall itself, and just mount the tank on two rails in the fuse rather than in the box...or if it's got the box cut out, and the tank box, then just install it like that.

Mike
Old 11-05-2009, 06:00 AM
mirce

Hi Larry,

give me one - two days and I will make photo of Hellcat with glass fuse...

My first option was making that model with glass fuse but, after all, I decided to make it from wood.
So, I sell glass fuse to my friend and he make it now...

I will go today to him and make photos for you...

Mirce
Old 11-05-2009, 03:29 PM
mirce

As I promised here is a photos of Hellcat with glass fuselage...

This is not a shark mouth, this is a Hellcat from the front... Fuselage is upside down. You can see here a first rib which is glued on fuselage and on that rib, with skrew, is fixed firewall..

Here on the photo is in the botom but, air tanks are on the top of the fuselage... We are using two tanks becouse retracts are big and need a lot of air...

Here is a firewall. With 6 skrews it will be fix on fuselage. On the rear of fitrewall (in the fuselage) is part which carry gas tank...
Two little parts on the front is for servo of the throttle

When you start to make centerpanel you need first to put in the fuselage two ply parts on which you will later put ribs... On glass fuselage you do not need first rib. Second rib you will glue on the outer side of the fuselage...
This is a most important part!!! Center panel MUST be aligned 100 % right on fuselage. For this operation maybe is not bad to make some templates on the left and right side of fuselage for center panel...

Front and rear plys...

From the bottom of the fuselage you need to open hole for servo plate. My friend add ribs in front and rear of that hole to make fuselage more rigid...

Wiew from the front of the fuselage...

This is a lid for the servos hole...

Lid in position...

Wiew on the botom of the fuselage...

Rear part of the fuselage...

Rib which will carry Robart rear wheel retract...

On the front of the fuselage is box for swichers...

Balsa with which is planking center panel is very nice aligned with fuselage...

Larry if you have some more questions just ask....
Sorry, my english is not so good...

Mirce
Old 11-05-2009, 07:00 PM
pitsspecial

Hi Mirce,

Nice glass fuz will make the build a little quicker!!

In the photo of the underside of the wing i notice you have the flap servos with the lincage on oposite sides of the servo, this will make one flap go up and the other go down unless you use a servo reverser! you need to move one servo over and move the lincage to the same side as the other one, they will both go the same way at the same time.

Keep up the good work,
Di n Dave...
Old 11-05-2009, 07:19 PM
mirce

Yes I know that...

But, this is not my model and my friend said that he could not be able to make a position that both servos goes on same side.
I am looking that yesterday and I think (I see it) that there is inaf space... I told that to him, and his ansver is that he will use Y cable with reverse or Match box...

In my model I make that all flap servos looking at same side. I will use Match Box for easy servo center and end positions...

Mirce

P.S. Larry, I forget to say, that wings and elevator you will be made the same way as I make on my Hellcat. Photos of that you can see on my web page...
Old 11-06-2009, 04:30 PM
pitsspecial

Hi Guys,

If there is no room then you have no choice, i have had to do this a couple of times with a servo reverser, i use coreless servos on my control surfaces and when you use a servo reverser the servo 'hums' but seems to work fine!!

Here is a couple of photos of my 'new' Ziroli Hellcat, ive hung it up out the way while i finish off some other work, then i will get back to it in a few weeks...

Keep up the good work guys!!
Di n Dave...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84219.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1308999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70277.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1309000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49814.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1309001  
Old 11-06-2009, 07:11 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

This thread's really turned out well for being helpful and inclusive of all of the in's and out's of the Z. Hellcat build, be it glass or wood, it's all in here somewhere. Glad for that. Some really top quality builds and techniques shown here, thanks to Mirce, Di n Dave, and all others providing the useful tidbits for others to follow. I really enjoyed building this plane, and it looks like I'm certainly not the only one. Hope this suits what you need Larry. I'm sure any questions you've got will summon great replies here on the thread, so press forward and put the pics up as you go thru.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Father Goose

Happy Thanksgiving,
Just got a Z Bearcat. New to the scale building. Any coments about the gt-80 for the bearcat?
Old 11-26-2009, 01:26 PM
at-6 texan

HA HA HA HA HA HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU!....
Old 12-05-2009, 12:05 PM
mirce

I add new page on my Hellcat diary on my website...

http://www.nsmodelers.rs/hellcatdecembar2009.htm

In meantime I finish all work with glassing and sanding. Now is time to start with adding detail (I like it most)...

On our serbian forum you can find how I fix my Zero after bad landing on our airfield few weeks ago...

http://rcfly4um.org/index.php?topic=3281.0

All the best from Novi Sad

Mirce
Old 12-05-2009, 12:22 PM
at-6 texan

hi mirce. i'm sorry but you haves the yours website in Yugoslavian language.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:26 PM
mirce

yes i know that, but you can try with google translator...

It to hard for me to translate all text... If you have some questions I will be happy to answer...

Mirce
Old 12-06-2009, 02:10 PM
mirce

I start to make details on my Hellcat.
Texts and photos about that everybody can find on our Serbian RC fly forum

http://rcfly4um.org/index.php?topic=...17443#msg17443

This is just a start of topics how I will made all details.
If somebody want to ask something that can do on that forum. I will be glad to answer on everything...

Mirce
Old 12-06-2009, 03:08 PM
at-6 texan

Hi mirce.. can you say me how long to be without nacas thanks for help

1,47.50cm?
Old 12-06-2009, 03:44 PM
mirce

Sorry at-6 but, I don't understand what are you asking me...

Mirce

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.