Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

First plane in Solidworks

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:00 PM
gt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First plane in Solidworks

I'm calling upon the CAD masters to lend me a hand in drawing up an Mini Edge 540 in Solidworks. I know that there's probably already plans out there for this plane, but I like the Edge and wanted to use it a learning experience, so maybe I can design my own plane next time. Anyways I'm no pro a CAD and have no idea what the general process is for drawing up plans using a 3d model.

I started with the fuselage where I lofted some profiles to get an acceptable shape and then cut out parts of the body leaving 1/16in formers. My question now is; whats the best way to do stringers and make the slots in the formers for them. I guess thats it for now, I'll try and attach some screen shots so you guys can tell me if I've already done something wrong.

Thanks in advance,

Garrison
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64633.jpg
Views:	1638
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	719022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17831.jpg
Views:	2068
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	719023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79914.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	719024  
Old 07-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Frank Sopwith

Default RE: First plane in Solidworks

Hi Garrison
I think the slots for the stringers are best made with the sweep function following the fuse contour and making exactly the right cut outs.
I did the same on my 1/5 scale Fokker FII, (sorry, I have to show off)

good luck,

Frank
Old 07-10-2007, 05:27 PM
proparc

ORIGINAL: Frank Sopwith

Hi Garrison
I think the slots for the stringers are best made with the sweep function following the fuse contour and making exactly the right cut outs.
I did the same on my 1/5 scale Fokker FII, (sorry, I have to show off)

good luck,
Frank
Alright Garrison, you've got it going on!!!!
Old 07-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Mods-R-Me
My Feedback: (1)

I'm still in the process of building my new shop, but I saw a SW thread so I had to chime in. GT, you picked an excellent software package for RC model design. It is only limited by the depth of you imagination. You are on the right track starting with the 3 view pics. As far as spars go, Frank in right go with the sweep function. If you ned any pointers, PM me.

Almost forget my required show off pic.

Mods
Old 07-11-2007, 01:54 AM
b17mik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using autocad,so sorry if I butt in here...but to create the stringer slots shown in my photo,I extruded down the path of a polyline a 1/4inch square, ..the polyline touches the outside edge of each former as it goes down the length of the side ..that created the stringer in 3d...then i subtracted the stringer from the formers and that created the slots for the stringers on each former
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36689.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	720613  
Old 07-11-2007, 08:48 AM
gt

Thanks for all the replies. I haven't had much time to work on it lately, but this week I'll try move along further with your guys tips. I'll post up some more screens when/if I make any more progress. Thanks again,

Garrison
Old 07-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Closterman

B17mik, can I ask what model you draw !??!
Old 07-18-2007, 12:12 AM
b17mik

Closterman...Its a cessna 185...I am redrawing a set of plans that I found on Profili2.com...they have several plans there,but this one needs a lot of work,as there are parts missing,so I am constructing it in 3 d to make sure everything fits and drawing in what is missing...I will post some more pics when I am thru with the redraw
Old 07-18-2007, 05:02 AM
wavy777

Hi,

The best way to do this is to treat the stringers as weldment structural members.

First create your standard stringer sizes in a new weldment data file (see Solidworks help on structural members), this is very easy as you just sketch the size of the sketch to be 'swept' This also means you will permanently have a library of standard sizes.

Then with that done, simply sketch a line in the assembly where you want the stringer to run, then insert, weldment, structural member, click your desired size, and bingo...all done.

You may have to 'relocate the profile to get it sitting flush with the edge of the former, it will be obvious how to do this when you are inserting the 'member'

Have fun!

Cheers

W
Old 07-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Closterman

b17mik, I have check on profili.com but I not find it... If you have a direct link, I really appreciate if you can give it to me !

I can save you a lot of time if you want. I have all the laser cut parts and fiberglass cowl for this aircraft because it's me who have draw this plan !!! You can find more info on my website www.mraerodesign.com Also, I knoe they fit because I fly this model since 4 years !!!

And this plan are not supposed to be found on the net... so I appreciate if someone can find the link |
Old 07-20-2007, 11:38 AM
b17mik

Closterman...I have down loaded dozens of plans from that site and i tried to find it but could not... I do not know where i found it..But obviously I did find it on the web...Looking at your web site and comparing them together,you are right,they are the same plan but it appears to be an earlier version of the draw..there was parts missing.....one half of fuse 5 and 6 are not on the plan that i have...so I am just going thru it to make sure everything is right..The lay out of the parts are layed out differently,from what you show on your website and what I have....in the bottom right corner,it has your MR logo...Do you know someone by the name of David A..........??that is the name in the corner...Mike