Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Tower Pro Mg996

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 02:53 AM
JIMMYMUGUREL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tower Pro Mg996

Hi,
how is the servo TowerPro MG996, are accurate, hold time ,can be mounted without risk on a plane with 2m wing span with gas engine 45cc? I saw some MG995 mounted on planes and have no problems but did not seem accurate. MG996 has something extra?
Thanks!

Best regards
Mugurel
Jimmy and Mugurel
Old 02-21-2009, 09:17 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Tower Pro Mg996

I picked up two of the 995s off of ebay when I was ordering some JST connectors. For 20 something bucks for two, I figrured why not try them. I bench tested them and found no centering issuses. Seemed pretty accurate. I've read where guys were haveing problems with centering. I bet they were lletting the transmitter stick snap back to neutral and the servo would rotate past center and then back. I think they must have a loose setting on their stick pressure and the stick itself is going over center causing the servo to do the same. I have the spring pressure pretty high and when I let it snap back from full deflection, the servos stop perfect. This is a guess though.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:10 PM
aussiesteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The centering issues are caused by a heavy core in the motor causing an overrun when the sticks are moved fast (Such as in a recovery from an "Oops" moment).

There are a couple of other problems with SOME of the manufacturing of the 2 models mentioned.

1 - The Potentiometer is of a very low quality and wil wear out fast - this is the thing that determines the positioning of the servo output shaft. When the "Pot" fails, the servo can just continue to rotate until something gives (usually the plane as it hits the ground).

2 - the Wiring is poorly supported at the circuit board and can break free very easily. This is a fairly simple fix by opening up the Servo and using some acid free silicone to "glue" the wires up for proper support.

I've used plenty of them - both 995's and 996's but nowadays, I prefer to spend a little more for long term reliability.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:12 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

I've used plenty of them - both 995's and 996's but nowadays, I prefer to spend a little more for long term reliability.

I hear ya.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:45 AM
HugoW

I'm considering the MG996 as well, but what would you recommend for 'a little more long time reliability'?

Thanks,

Hugo
Old 07-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

I have used quite a few MG995 servos and all work very well at the start after a period of time (year of use) they all go the same way, which is they are hesitant i.e. If not used for a week or so, if you wiggle the stick from side to side they will work back and forth and all of a sudden not move then go again for a while then only go maybe one way, after a bit of wiggling they work perfect. but can for not reason stop. I have found this with 5 of them so far.
Really dissapointed as I thought they would be a good value for money servo, obviously the pot is very poor quality, I am going to look at maybe trying to retro fit another brand one.

Because of this I seen the right up on some websites on the MG996 improved version of the MG995 so I bought some as did a friend, I was a bit suspect when they arrived as the label on the servo said TowardPro not TowerPro.
A friend fitted some in his 26cc petrol sukhoi and it spun in after the third flight. When we looked at the wreckage the rudder servo (MG996) was jammed solid yet there was no damage or dirt on the rudder so we knew it was 'nt crash damage.

When we opened the servo we could see no wrong and the gears were now turning, once we put the cover on and turned the servo arm it jammed up again, when we opened it we discovered that hole in the plastic case for one of the gear axles was pulled out of shape, this allowed the axle to lean to one side and with the close nit and ridgid metal gears caused them to jam.

In 25 years of modeling I have never seen this happen. We opened up all the other MG996 servos (another 4) used in this model and everyone were showing signs of the stressing at this hole, obviously poor quality plastic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17844.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1233211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10038.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1233212  
Old 08-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Tibcsyke

hi all,

I was considering to buy some mg 996 for my katana 29% but reading about this servo convince me not to use them

happy landing T