Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Soldiers in need of Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:45 PM
slikdzigns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soldiers in need of Fuel

Hey everyone! Hope the holidays back home are treating everyone well!

I represent a group of young Soldiers who just started the whole R/C thing. We all bought trucks/truggies thinking that fuel wouldn't be an issue, but we've all had our cars for about 2 months now and they haven't even been broken in!

I know that fuel is a sensitive item, and most businesses won't even try to mess with shipping Nitro to us in Iraq, but we are desperate here. We have plenty of JP-8 aviation fuel, but that won't work so well on our trucks. We are willing to pay all HAZMAT fees associated with Shipping fuel, but when we asked DHL how much it would cost to get a few gallons of fuel here from the states, they gave us an $800 haz fee. That's a little much wouldn't you say?

I've tried to get a hold of som e hobby shops here in the Middle East. I've been in contact with one in Kuwait amd one in Dubai, but we still need a shipper. I've even gone as far as contacting Traxxas, but Traxxas simplyreplied to us with"We can't help you." Thanks Traxxas, I'll keep that in mind.

If anyone knows of any shipping companies or distributors willing to help us out that would be awesome. My email is [email protected]. Our cars are clean and it drives me crazy!

- Paleriders
Old 12-22-2009, 08:01 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Soldiers in need of Fuel

thanks for your service first and foremost...hope yall have as good a holiday season as possible and come home safe and soon

as far as how to get fuel I dont know...surely a person could set something up to have it put on a military supply shipment or something...I would try to get ahold of odonnell and byrons and see if they could set something up...they would have alot better shot of setting something up with the military to get you some fuel and I wouldnt be suprised if they didnt just donate some to you...

[email protected] byrons

[email protected] odonnells
Old 12-22-2009, 08:14 PM
firebird78

also I think if enuff people send emails to these companies it would help to get more favorable results...

I just think the fuel company themselves would have alot better chance to get something done...
Old 12-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Clymer122693

Its suprising traxxas said that. Usually traxxas donates stuff all the time, especially to the charity national races here in the states. I would try again. Maybe contact PeterV on the traxxas forums, he is an employee and great guy of traxxas and I'm sure he'll help ya'll out.

Stay Safe, happy Holidays!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:31 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a pretty big RC crowd in Kuwait and the UAE, your best bet will probably be a hobby store there who will ship to Iraq or a US base there. But it sounds like you tried that.. What about Doha? Isn't there a base there?
Old 12-22-2009, 08:34 PM
slikdzigns

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I'll try Byrons and O'Donnels for sure.

I was pretty dissapointed with Traxxas' reply too. It seemed like whoever got that email just wrote us off without even trying to help me out. I'll see about contacting someone in the Traxxas Forums.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:39 PM
firebird78

spreadin the word bro...I'll be sending some emails asking if they can help and contact you for your info....stay safe..
Old 12-22-2009, 08:40 PM
slikdzigns

I think that Doha port was turned back over to the Kuwaitis. I have been in contact with one Hobby shop in Kuwait, but my email traffic stopped abruptly. I think the idea of Americans in Iraq looking for stuff from Kuwait comes off suspect. Kuwaiti-Iraqi ties aren't exactly awesome, and they may feel uncomfortable. Getting a shipping company seems to be the toughest part for us here.

The UAE also told us that they carry fuel in Dubai, but we would have to have some shipping company pick the fuel up for us since they do not ship to their International customers.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

umm you guys might think of investing in HPI Baja 5b's or 5T's or some other 1/5th scale gas truck or buggy in all truth
They run on standard at the pump gas mixed with some simple 2stroke oil (should be plenty of gas and oil out there )
I personally think it would be way easier and cheaper to go that route and save the nitros till you guys get home
Old 12-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to be a humbug, but you guys DO have electricity there. Sell those dogs and go electric, and bypass all this hazmat jazz.

Then, you won't need to settle for nitro performance either.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:09 PM
firebird78

why doesnt this suprise me....these guys volunteered to serve our country, whether you believe in the war or not they signed up and put theirselves out there to help try to keep our fuzzy butts safe....how hard is it to send a couple emails?....he asked for help not which rc to buy...
Old 12-22-2009, 09:28 PM
slikdzigns

One of our guys has already went the electric route. His patience wore thin. I, however, like the convenience of not having to recharge my batteries. Now I'm sure there are kick-ass batteries and charges out there for the electric crowd guy, but I'm in an Apache unit. These heicopters burn 800 pounds (119 gallons) of Jet fuel an hour. I think its safe to say that we, here, have an attachment to the fossil fuels, LOL!

The 1/5 Gas cars came up to but we all started buying 1/8 and didn't want to 1-up anyone. Besides, 1/5 are so big you might as well include seatbelts!

I'm already getting emails about this, so, thanks everyone. hopefully I'll be able to post pics of our cars tearin upo some Iraqi dirt in no time. I appreciate all the support. Look out for pictures of 1/1 scale AH-64D's with our 1/8 trucks right next to them! I hope this works out.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:28 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: firebird78

why doesnt this suprise me....these guys volunteered to serve our country, whether you believe in the war or not they signed up and put theirselves out there to help try to keep our fuzzy butts safe....how hard is it to send a couple emails?....he asked for help not which rc to buy...
Mine was just a alternative to think about instead paying insane haz charges to DHL if they can't locate a place that will ship it reasonably. Whats easier paying DHL $800 every time you need fuel (and possibly waiting 2weeks) or going to the local gas pump when you need it?

Old 12-22-2009, 09:40 PM
GW
My Feedback: (2)

It cant be shipped from the US via the Postal Service?
Old 12-22-2009, 09:56 PM
firebird78

usps wont ship fuel....ups will but its going international....if you ever tried to order fuel online and have it shipped to your door it isnt cheap....and thats shipping it here...going international would just be insane...I can believe $800

I sent emails and asked a buncha people to do as well....some already have...hopefully this helps get yall rollin....
Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Here's why found it on a hooby shop site for nitro.
Due to the Flammable nature of this item, it can only be shipped within the contiguous 48 states and via ground ONLY. No International, Alaskan, Hawaii, or APO/FPO shipping allowed due to the Hazardous Materials regulations in place for the airlines.

So it seems they are going to have to get it from another country .

What about hobby shops in the EU? (don't know if they have similar restrictions)

Just checked a UK hobby shop they had something similar stated and no air shipping.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:03 PM
DaveG55

Maybe look into mixing your own fuel.
All it is made of is methanol, castor oil and nitromethane. And the nitro is not necessary for the fuel to run the engines. It just provides more power.
85% methanol and 15% oil will work fine for you. If you can get nitro (race tracks / drag strips will have it) then you could go 65% methanol, 20% nitro & 15% oil.

You might also try looking at someplace other than the States and the gulf area for the fuel. Maybe someplace like Italy or ????
Also, I know there are other servicemen over there that are running nitro vehicles. Maybe there is some way to network with them?? Have you tried the USO? Or talked to the people in your PX?
What about Tower Hobbies? I know they ship fuel in cases of 4 gallons. Have you checked to see if they, or any of the other big online shops, will ship to you?
Old 12-22-2009, 10:06 PM
firebird78

yeah that why I said maybe the fuel companies could set up something with the military to have them deliever it.....not saying they could do it but doesnt hurt to ask...I know if I owned a fuel company I would try to figure out how...for one it gives our boys a chance to have a lil fun...plus its good plubicity....military is always flying in celebs and ceo's to visit our troops...
Old 12-22-2009, 10:09 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

found a post on another forum from a year ago while searching.

yes dealt with it a few years ago you cannot get nitro in iraq i tried and tried the only way to do it is have someone here take a mouthwash container and clean it out really well and put nitro in it something blue or orange that would match the color of mouthwash and have fun oh yea dont forget have the top shrink wraped again before it is sent if it is searched without the wrap they will check it dont ask me how i know this but it hasbeen done and will be done again now obviously mwahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahha watch out for the sand chiggers over there lol i had gotten into a nest of them and i was hurtin in no time lolool
that was the only idea anyone had

Edit: seems it was declared a hazmat issue in kuwait about 2 years ago and thats why you can't get it shipped to Iraq.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:01 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's two more thoughts:

1) Put your feelers out here at RCU in some of the more nitro-specific fora. You might run into someone who has been through this.

2) Consider putting your nitro cars on ebay; it would be an easy way to sell them. Easier to ship them to someone than to ship fuel. Then go electric.

3) Mixing your own sound like a really good idea, if you can find those ingredients. I wonder how well they'd run without nitro. Isn't car fuel usually 20% nitro?
Old 12-23-2009, 01:32 AM
sick6stang

Well if you have the money to spend on the rediculios hazmat charge, I would send the nitro cars back to the US to wait your arrival home, or sell them. Contact Traxxas and explain your situation. Include the fact that someone sold you nitro cars and obviously knew about the trouble you would have with the fuel issue. I would see if they will offer you a huge discount on the electric versions of thier line up. I am sure you guys are board out of your minds over there and need some entertainment. They make some bad ass electric vehicles, and the electric cars with upgraded batteries will stomp the nitro cars. Look into a E-MAXX, E-REVO, SLASH, RUSTLER, whatever it is get it brushless, and get a upgraded battery. They will be easier to maintain, and as far as the batteries go, you still need ones for the transmitter and reciever anyhow. Make sure they give all you the new 24 ghz transmitters so you dont need crystals. I know I know, the nitro cars are neat cause they go BLAHHHH, BLAHHH, RAWWRRRRRR!! Thats why I went nitro.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:09 AM
lez1troubles

Hi fellas, hope you'll keeping safe.
As for your question,cannt your QM help you get all the fuel you need. I know when I was with the army (British) our QM could get ahold of everything we needed even if it cost a couple of bottles of booze but thats better than paying $800 for DHL hazmat.
If that dont work just go to the vehicle park and borrow a couple of humvees and have a christmas buggy race, surely you could talk to a couple of officers to join in on the fun. Abrahams battle tank race against the British Challenger tanks could be fun also if your anywhere near a british tank regiment. I know for a fact that if you challenge the British Army to anything sports like they will accept, no hassle.[8D]
HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR to all the folks out there protecting our hobby (and freedom).
Old 12-23-2009, 05:25 AM
tommygun32

Hi slikdzigns,

I have a friend here in Dubai who ships hazmat from the States to Dubai and then onward to Kuwait & Iraq to a number of the bases there.

I'll check with him if he could ship a pallet of fuel in one of his consignments and what the costs would be (if it's possible).

Just rang him on his cell but no answer yet. He'll call me back.

Stay safe and Happy Holidays.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:49 AM
slikdzigns

Dude,

I've had some email traffic from a hobby shop in Dubai, but he said we would have to arrange for the shipping ourselves. If you have a way to get some fuel to Balad, Iraq, then you may just be the most awesome person ever and there will be a lot of Soldiers extremely happy to hear the good news.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:55 AM
tommygun32

Just got off the phone with my friend. He apperantly has stopped shipping things to Iraq. It's more Afghanistan now. Sorry.

He also informs me the Iraqi government has stopped DHL, FedEx and other companies from flying stuff into there. (I haven't been able to get official confirmation on this though) and only one company is now allowed to do that.

I know the company and have sent an email asking if it's possible to send this fuel from Dubai to you in Iraq. Just waiting for a response.

slikdzigns, can you pm me your email address and I'll cc or forward you in on the conversation.

Sure something can get worked out.

Which hobby shop you been talking to?

If this doesn't work, I know a LHS here in Dubai that has a sister store in Kuwait. Maybe they can give me an answer. Problem here though is that some companies still believe in the afternoon siesta between 1 - 4 pm....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.