Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Nitroplanes Cananair CL-415

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Nitroplanes Cananair CL-415

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nitroplanes Cananair CL-415

I have been looking at the new 80.7" Cananair ( which I think should be "Canadair") CL-415 seaplane and am wondering how you add/remove the outer engine nacelles with the glow engines installed. With the nacelle being one piece it would seem virtually impossible to access without removing the mufflers, needlevalves, fueling valves, etc. and then you would have the chore of getting the cylinder head to clear the nacelle. The only way the one piece nacelles will work without splitting them at the firewall would be to mount the engines inverted but it still would be extremely difficult to access the engines. Am I missing something here?

Well I guess I will find out soon enough. I just ordered the plane. It looks too nice to pass up. Thinking about a pair of O.S. 55 AX's for power. This will be my 3rd model from Nitroplanes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56521.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	1162160  
Old 04-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Flyin Beagle
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Nitroplanes Cananair CL-415

I am also thinking about this kit. Have you received it yet? Were you able to find out any more info other than the little bit on the nitro planes website??? It looks great in the pictures, I am just trying to find a little more info.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2009, 02:40 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The entire engine pod is held on by the four cap screws as you can see in the mislabeled "floats" picture. You remove the screws and the pods come off intact and completely.

The fiberglass pods are large enough to almost completely house the engine including the cylinder head... though you would want a hole for the glow plug or a remote ignitor.

The pods would have to be cut to accomidate the muffler, and the muffler has to be set up to install after the engine is in the pod ( I use a similiar scheme on my inverted mount Ultimates ).

The biggest bugaboo is the needle valves.

Some engines, like the SuperTiger's have HS needles that protrude WAAAY out, and you would not be able to use an engine like this without some skillful work.

Others should have the needles fully enclosed, and what you do is to cut a groove into the knob head so you can turn the needles with a screwdriver.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

I have received it and aside from two flaws it will be a nice functional model. The first flaw is that the right wing panel has two crushed internal ribs out towards the tip. The damage has to have been inflicted before or during packaging since I inspected the box when it arrived at my residence with absolutely no signs of trauma to the shipping box or the actual box the model is packaged in. The second issue is that the right aileron was manufactured 1/8" thinner than where it meets the trailing edge of the wing along the hinge line. I have contacted NITROPLANES concerning these two issues. Nitroplanes has replied but there has been no offer of replacement or resolve concerning the crushed ribs or the incorrectly manufactured aileron. I am a builder and can correct these problems but they are not what I payed for and hope Nitroplanes steps up to the plate and corrects these problems in some manner other than just an apology. Besides the issues mentioned, it is a very nice model and should be easy to fly since it is pretty straight forward in design. I may consider reinforcing the hull from the inside.

Should NITROPLANES correct/replace the damaged right wing and incorrectly manufactured right aileron, I will be sure to post it here in this forum and give them credit where credit is due. If not?...I will be absolutely sure to post it here in this forum for all to read!

Have you ever tried to put a screwdriver in a slot made in the end of a needle valve of a running engine???? It isn't an easy task and not too safe either. Most O.S. engines come with a hole in the end of the needle valve and a set screw to secure a flexible piece of cable or a piece of wire with a angle bent in the end of it. This may not be as sightly to the finiky scale buff but it sure beats trying to find the slot in the end of the N/V with the engine running or worse yet with 2 engines running in this case. Or even worse ????....drop your screwdriver in the lake!!!

Speedy
Old 04-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

I have good news and bad news. NITROPLANES contacted me via email asking whether I believed the two issues with my new CANADAIR CL-415 were from shipping damage or manufacturing. I sent my reply stating the two issues definately had to be from faulty manufacturing ( right aileron ) and damage ( crushed right wing panel ) before shipping since box was undamaged. The bad news is that I have never received any form of contact or communication with NITROPLANES since then. I am stuck here with the dilema of owning a model that I can not proceed with the assembly until I hear back from NITROPLNES should they wish to correct/replace the damage and incorrectly manufactured right wing panel.

NITROPLANES?.......... This is bad business on your part and I am going to speak my piece LOUD AND CLEAR right here for all to read till someone makes this situation right. [sm=thumbs_down.gif][sm=punching.gif]
Old 04-05-2009, 04:30 PM
normgoyer

I received my new Canadair CL-415 the other day. It is a first class kit. However it was missing the auxillary vertical stabilizers and the two winglets. I did get a promise of shipping the missing parts in two weeks, but....they are simply flat pieces that I can make myself if push comes to shove. Hint.....keep the communications up, don't wait weeks or months for replies, get on the horm or email and call them and call them and write to them. These guys have the job from hell and all they want is to satisfy the loudest customers, it is not their fault but an accepted method of off-shore marketing. Norm Goyer
Old 04-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

Norm, Luckily mine came with the parts you are missing. I can trace around them and send you the patterns if you want. I can repair mine also but...........! You are right...It is a very nice model and sure to be a great flyer and performer. If these guys have the "job from hell" I would testify that they have dug the hole themselves!! The phone is useless. I went that route. No one knows a damn thing.
I would like to hear more on the progress and build of your CL-415. What are you planning on using for engines. I went with the two O.S. 55 two-strokes since I did not wish to go fishing for a pair of expensive 4-strokes and the 55's have a lot of power and more compact.
Let me know if you need those templates. I have also asked NITROPLANES what brand of covering is used on this model. They can't even give me an answer on that!

Mr. Moderator "OPJOSE" I would appreciate your involvement here in resolving my complaint and trying to get a response fron NITROPLANES. Look at the NITROPLANES PARTS REQUEST FORUM. Look at how many unresolved requests are in that forum.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:19 PM
chopper man

By reading through these threads the only thing that Opjose will do is delete your complaints. I've seen a lot of people complain only to have the thread deleted. What a joke. good luck. I'm sure this comment will not last long
Old 04-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

Thanks CM! I hope you are wrong but if I were a bettin' man...........
Old 04-05-2009, 07:53 PM
chopper man

I realize that this a support forum, but everytime people start getting really mad the post disappear. If Nitro would support their product people wouldn't have to complain so much. I wish this wasn't true because I see some sweet looking planes that I would like to get but after reading all about the broken stuff missing parts rude customer service people no responces you have to ask yourself, why trouble yourself.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:00 PM
normgoyer

Hi Speedy, I am on deadline for my weekly columns for the Internet and I will get back to you after the rush ends at noon tomorrow, nice hearing from you. Norm
Old 04-05-2009, 08:11 PM
kid chuckles

Chopper you can rest assured if I had posted it that it wouldn't last but a little while. It is a shame they do have some good looking planes. I would like to own a few of them but been there done that won't do it again. If only once that is to many times espesially in the times were having now and the buck is already stretched. Then getting posts removed just because the person is stating unsatifactory service or manufacturing is ridicoulus. Makes you really wonder how many just suck it up and lose the money they sent them, because they can't get anyone to answer a phone or when they do, get the runaround. This is all over the forum not just here on there support forum. There is a reason RC Ken put the sticky above the posts. In other words they can do anything they want or just outright hide any complaints. OP told me there were 4-5 moderators that visit the site but had never seen one before him. And the way i took it was that they were from RCU not hired by NITRO guess if they were they were slacking off lol.

Very nice looking plane though let us know how they fly if you get them up. Good deal being a builder already
Old 04-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

I have posted my requests on all forums related to NITROPLANES. That should keep someone busy just deleting them all if that is what they do. Now....if these guys associated with these forums and NITROPLANES would dedicate the same time spent deleting complaints as resolving problems we could talk about the good side of this hobby. I can be a major A/H if needed...and persistent too!
This is my 3rd plane from Nitroplanes and this is the only one with a problem.

Nitroplanes....80" EXTRA 330L....no removable top deck....had to unscrew canopy every time for access to radio and removal of wings.....major engineering/design F/U

Nitroplanes....50cc Giant ULTIMATE......Superb model...I was impressed....needed a little firewall work

Nitroplanes...Canadair CL-415......rating undetermined until current issues resolved
Old 04-05-2009, 09:07 PM
chopper man

I was looking through some other post where I have posted but those post are no longer. It's kinda like a dictatorship What's the sense of having a forum if you can't express your opinion. It is ashame because I fixin to spend about 600 bucks on some new planes at Tower Hobbies.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:40 AM
normgoyer

Hi Speedy, got a few minutes break, I have switched to all electric about two years ago and of course you know they are great for twins for obvious reasons. I have been flying scale off water for about 40 years now and really enjoy it. There isn't that much water in the desert but there are sea plane meets all around us over the mountains and in the lakes of the Colorada River. I have copied your letter and if I don't get the parts in a week I would certainly appreciate the outlines and how thick a piece of wood id they use< ply or balsa. You can also give me the angles and the length of each leg via email if you want, it would be very helpful. I am putting in two AXi2826-12 with Jeti esc and two four cell Li pos in parralel for 6800 ma

Norm Goyer
21416 Ramona Ave
Apple Valley, CA 92307
[email protected]
Old 04-06-2009, 10:47 AM
opjose

Speedy.

Your best bet is to PM John here ( as always ).

Simply find any of his posts ( Nitrostaff1 ) and click on his name.

On the new window, click on the PM balloon to send him a message about your problem.

ALWAYS include the order number to avoid delays and allow a few days for him to respond.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

OPJOSE,
Already did that! No reply...yet. I am keeping my fingers crossed.my toes crossed, my eyes crossed, my arms crossed, my legs crossed, I am even trying to keep my ears crossed but my head is too wide!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 03:27 PM
opjose

It may be a couple of days before John checks in. Whenever you see activity from him, he's been around.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:44 PM
kid chuckles

rofl at that statement. 3/21 - 4/6 that was funny.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:49 PM
kid chuckles

Speedy he was posting on 4/3 if that means anything.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:14 AM
dtmackin

Hello,

Is there an option for retracts on this model??
Old 04-07-2009, 09:27 AM
normgoyer

No, there are some graphics which you apply to the fuselage to simulate a landing gear retracted. To put retracts on this airplane would be super expensive and even more complicated for various reasons. I am going to insert some metal tubes which are sealed and then weld up a landing gear system that simply plugs into the tubes for when I want to use wheels. Option two is build a take off cradle similar to the ones we used to use on our control line speed ships of 50 years ago. These would also work fine and not have a landing gear hanging down for the flybys. A metal or graphite strip on the keel would handle fuselage damage. Norm
Old 04-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

Well hopefully after over 50 minutes on the NITROPLANES website using the "Live Chat" and conversing with "Darryl" I was messaged that I would be sent a new right main wing. I will be sure to post my receiving it once it arrives. I have a 50-50 chance of success. Nitroplane has always been good on shipping new product. I am anxious to see what type of service they offer on warranty/damage replacement parts. Wish me luck! Speedy
Old 04-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Speedy-Gonzales

John, I must say I am truely shocked at the positive and quick response and I am extremely grateful. I am going to post the good news on all the RC Universe forums that I have conversed on. Thanks for the great service. Hopefully all the negativity that I created will be abolished with my new comments. Respectfully, Dennis L. Wann

This response from John at NITROSTAFF1 is outstanding and I am truely grateful to John and NITROPLANES.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:11 PM
nitrostaff1

Thanks

John
Nitro Planes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.