Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Aquila AT01 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:47 AM
Rube Goldberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aquila AT01 ?

I see that Nitroplanes is now stocking this one apparently from the Fly-Model factory.

http://fly-model.com/cp_detail.php?i...261:&catid=261

My question is that at the stated flying weight of 7 lbs. and a wing area of 490 sq. inches, that works out to about 33 ounces/sq. ft. which is in the same league as the Gee Bee R1/R2.......

Think Nitro could pull one out of the box and put all the components on a scale, let us know what that part weighs. We can figure the weight of the rest of the stuff (radio, engine etc.) to double check this wing loading?

Cool looking plane, but I think (if the numbers are correct) that the wing loading is going to be a bit too much.

Rube
Old 10-01-2007, 11:53 AM
opjose

Default RE: Aquila AT01 ?

I dunno...

The plane is VERY similiar to the Lancair in terms of wing loading, ratios and the fuselage cross section facing the wind.

The Lancair in turn flies very well, but it does come in hotter than many other planes.

I'll bet that this plane lands identically to the Lancair.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Wine Country Flyer
My Feedback: (5)

I will be interested in any and all flight information on this little plane. It is very good looking, I think. And different, too.
John
Old 11-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Intref

hello, I just bought One.

Here in belize, Looking for the correct size engine, probably .50. Anybody ben caught with any vices on this.

David
Old 11-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Wine Country Flyer

Well, I can tell you that it's not a beginners ARF to put together. I had to re-do a few things my way. The tail section was not straight. So, I heated it with my heat gun and straightened it out. That took some doing. Hope yours is straight. I think it's a poor design to boot. It should be a one piece bolt on low wing design instead of plug in wings. The wing bolts are very hard to get at and you have to remove the canopy to even get to them. But I think we can't expect perfection for the price of $125! I have several flights on mine. It does pretty good, I think. It has a Saito .82 with 12x6 prop. Yep, it is pretty fast. But it slows down very well for landing. I might try more pitch on a future prop for a little more speed. Good luck with yours. I think you'll l ike it.
John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45434.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	808164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56970.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	808165  
Old 03-12-2008, 07:38 PM
RC-Captain

I am building this plane as I type, just wanted to know if you epoxied the main wings to the fuselage ? In the instructions it says to connect the wing with bolts then epoxy .

CAP
Old 03-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Wine Country Flyer

No, I did not epoxy the wing to the fuse. You would never be able to take it apart for transport if you did that. That's one thing you have to watch for with Nitro Models, their instructions aren't the best. They need a new translator. That's why I mentioned that this is not a biginners arf. Some things you just have to figure out for yourself. So, hopefully, you have a few arf's under your belt and just build this one as you see fit. Like the instructions said to use only one servo for the rudder and nose gear. But that would have made for some funny bends in the linkage. So, I used two servos and two channels on my radio to make that work. And instead of two servos for the elevators, I used two 440 rods, one bent to the other just before the servo and soldered together, for elevator control. And I took out their control linkage guide tubes, cut them out of the bulkhead and re-routed them so there was no bind in the middle. As you can see, they had them all in one bunch in the first bulkhead. That caused a lot if binding. Take them out, cut the bulkhead braces, put them back in with no braces, then make your own brace and glue them back to the bulkhead. I just took a picture, but I'll have to put it in the next post, as I don't want to re-type all this. Hope this helps. In the pic you can see the two elev. rods on the left soldered together and the rudder rod on the right.
Good luck-I think you'll like how it flys-but it's a lot more work than most arfs.
John
Old 03-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Wine Country Flyer

OK-here's the picture I took, hope it helps.
John

Name:	Qo38827.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	902115  
Old 03-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Wine Country Flyer

Just went back out and weighed it. All up weight, 7 lbs. 9 oz., with Saito 82 (no muffler-instead it has Saito 90 degree adaptor with Saito flex pipe) 12 x 6 MA prop, 2 1/2 in. Tru Turn aluminum spinner, JR 2700 NMH bat., 6 servos, and of course as you can see in post #4 Popeye & Olive as pilots. Yea, I know, he's a sailor man, but they were just begging to go flying !! Let us know how it flys, and your specs, as in weight, what motor and such.
John
Old 03-13-2008, 06:10 AM
RC-Captain

Thanks for the info WCF. I completed the main wings last night. For a Nitro Models plane I was very impressed about the servos being mounted in the wings. The hardware alone makes me believe NM is trying to do better with their ARFs. As far as the elevator installation, I always try to use two servos when ever possible, so I will probably use the tubes provided in order to keep the link between the servo arm and elevator horn as stiff as possible. This is my third NM ARF plane I am putting together , so the poorly written manual has no effect on me.

I plan to use a ROSSI .60 on the nose, why ? because it doesn't have a plane to go into. I recently changed the bearings in this engine and flew only 2 flights before dead sticking to a crash, so I am anxious to see how these sealed ceramic bearings hold up. I will continue to post information and pics in this thread if you don't' mind. I should have all the control horns and servos installed by Saturday mourning. I want the maiden flight to be on Sunday . Oh yea I am ordering a on board glow driver and if the weight is right a smoke system. I recently put together a THUNDERBUG 1.20 ,(hand me down plane for $20) with a Zenoah 20ei on the nose , so eventually I will be putting glow planes on hold as I get into flying more gassers. The point I am trying to make is I want to try everthing with glow before completely switching to GAS then eventually electric too.

CAP
Old 03-13-2008, 12:41 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Wine Country Flyer

They need a new translator.

John
That assumes that there is something to be translated to begin with.

The instructions are mostly pictograms.

These suffice, except when there are missing steps or elaborations. That's where a novice will get balled up.

But for the price of the planes, I don't care much about the instructions.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:50 PM
RC-Captain

although I am not a novice, more words and less pictures would do me fine. I built a SHRIKE and if any of you built this plane , you know it wasn't a walk in the park. I hate to admit it but I already made a mistake with putting the aileron servo rods on the same way instead of the opposite way which only moved the control horn over a few mm from actual mounting position. Yea the cost of these planes really don't make you cringe when you make mistakes building or flying.

CAP
Old 03-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Wine Country Flyer

ORIGINAL: opjose

ORIGINAL: Wine Country Flyer

They need a new translator.

John
That assumes that there is something to be translated to begin with.

The instructions are mostly pictograms.

These suffice, except when there are missing steps or elaborations. That's where a novice will get balled up.

But for the price of the planes, I don't care much about the instructions.

Yep-That's what I said in the beginning-"For the price" it's worth the extra work figureing out how ya want everthing to work. And it's always more fun to do it "your own" way.

RC-Captain--Good luck ojn your "maiden" this Sunday. Send a pic or two. That ROSSI .60 should do just fine.
John
Old 03-14-2008, 06:25 PM
RC-Captain

Is the fire wall fuel and fire proof , trying to decide whether to coat it with epoxy .

CAP
Old 03-15-2008, 01:07 AM
opjose

It's supposed to be, but I always play it safe and at the very least apply a thinner mix if I worry about the weight.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:09 PM
RC-Captain

Just a few progress pictures . If you notice, I used lock washer nuts on the landing gear nose bracket and the landing gear mid fuselage. Another tip was using the U-clamp to press the engine mount blind nute into the fire wall. On the tail control surfices I angled the control horns for better movement of the control rods. I have to mount he servos, set up the receiver, cut the cowl ,and mount the canopy, before knowing the AUW.

CAP

Name:	Ay73355.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	911851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15335.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	911852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63529.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	911853   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54530.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	911854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vm83425.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	911855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Df75143.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	911856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ji28093.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	911857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xw35830.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	911858  

Old 08-07-2008, 10:44 PM
carlosmalone
My Feedback: (25)

I just got one of these. It's a really nice looking plane and I'm looking forward to the build. Lot's of fun for $88. More as things progress.
Carl
Old 08-08-2008, 02:18 AM
RC-Captain

pay close attention to the COG. Ask as many question as you want I will try to help you. If you fly off of grass you may want to leave the wheel pants off for first flight. I didn't do so well with the landings.

CAP
Old 08-20-2008, 07:02 AM
flyboytha1
My Feedback: (30)

I Love Mine Coverted To Elctric Size 60 Eflite Motor, 5 Cell Lipo, The Video Can Be Seen At The Below Like If Copyed And Pasted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iYYJL7lQro
Old 08-20-2008, 07:21 PM
RC-Captain

very nice ! after I get tired of flyin gmine with the ROSSI .60 on the nose , maybe I will try electric.

CAP
Old 10-22-2008, 09:48 PM
john neilson
My Feedback: (2)

Hello Cap & all,

I just received mine and reading the instruction's, I'm amused. After this note I will do a search here on RCU for an accelerator servo!!

Yes, the pictographs work for me seeing I have enough experience. However, I'm a little disappointed that there is no apparent way to make the wings detachable for transporting. I'll figure out something but if I might enlist some of you who have done this to give me a hint.

Your input is appreciated...

JOHN
Old 09-21-2010, 03:26 PM
ron temple

hi guys i know this is reviving an old thread but i was wondering how your finding your Aquila's. ive just got hold of an unflown kit with no manual ,and there doesn't seem to be much info about on these little planes
Old 10-27-2010, 01:01 AM
huck1199

I just put one together and it flys great.  I have a manual. I'll see if my scanner is working and copy it. PM me and I can email it to you.