Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Airfield 800mm P51 rtr.. Tail is crooked / spinner wobbles / return?

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Airfield 800mm P51 rtr.. Tail is crooked / spinner wobbles / return?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:04 PM
tromano32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airfield 800mm P51 rtr.. Tail is crooked / spinner wobbles / return?

Hi,
I just got my 800mm airfield p51 today and got it all assembled.. while I was tweeking the control surfaces I noticed that the tail portions were glued together from the factory very poorly.. after installing the elevator it was very clear the whole tail section is leaning down and to the left... The spinner or prop also looks like its bent.. the prop does not track (off by about 1cm) and the spinner looks like its wobbling.. this really isn't acceptable to me and I am afraid to try to fly it and void the warranty because it just looks out of whack..is the motor shaft or prop bent? do I deserve a new plane or kit or something to fix the issues...

Please let me know what anyone thinks...

Thanks

Tony
Old 08-24-2010, 11:13 AM
opjose

Default RE: Airfield 800mm P51 rtr.. Tail is crooked / spinner wobbles / return?

A sharp knife and a bit of foam safe glue will fix the tail.

As far as the spinner, remove the spinner and prop, then run the motor to see if it actually the shaft that is bent.

Normally it's merely the spinner that is a bit off, which doesn't really affect things, but the shaft is a different story.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:18 AM
tromano32

Default RE: Airfield 800mm P51 rtr.. Tail is crooked / spinner wobbles / return?

Hi,
Thanks for reply... so what I should do is cut he tail apart at the seams and re glue it? I will check the motor itself.. never got any farther because I wanted to address the tail section... Cutting and regluing doesn't seem like I am going to retain the fit and finish of one doen properly to begin with.. isn't there anyway I can get a new fuselage and send back the old one?

my order number is 914412
Old 08-24-2010, 12:27 PM
opjose

You would have to talk or PM someone at Nitro about an exchange.

Unless the shaft is actually bent, it may not be worth the effort. Fixing misalignments in foam parts is quite easy, requiring only a few minutes work and a bit of glue...

White glue works pretty well, leaving the original finish looking good.

The key is to get a good initial cut using something thin. I've started cuts with hobby knives and continued with fine hacksaw blades.

However check the shaft first... as this will determine what you should do.

BTW: unless the tail is so far out of alignment that it looks horrible, small errors in angle will barely affect the plane if at all.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:17 PM
tromano32

Thanks for info.. I just spent 35 minutes with live chat and the person was no help .. after trying to explain the problem and trying to find out exactly what to send back and everything the person just gave up and told me everything was fine and there was not a problem and that they need to see pictures.. I am extremely disappointed... this is the first thing I have ever bought from nitroplanes and I am not happy with the quality of my plane and the quality of customer support...
Old 08-24-2010, 01:31 PM
opjose

The Live Chat people are more order takers than anything else, so they are of little help for things like this.

One option is to PM Tony at rcdiscuss about getting the fuselage changed out.

Six degrees sounds like too much to me... I don't bother if it's a few degrees.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:36 PM
tromano32

I took the prop/ spinner off and ran the motor and it appears to be straight and true.. if I put the base of the spinner on and and run it, it spins true, if I put the spinner base and prop on then it wobbles.. so it must be the prop or spinner? right?
Old 08-25-2010, 02:06 PM
opjose

Correct.

Of itself this is not hugely problematic, but if you wish you could try balancing the prop and spinner, and or checking their centering.

I'd fly it just to see if it worth doing... On a small electric like this, it may not be worth the effort.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:59 PM
tromano32

ya i got it all figured out.. the base of the spinner is actually messed up and nitroplanes is sending new spinner.. thanks