Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OS 120 AX and black exhaust oil

Hello.

Ran my 120 AX after letting it set idle for several months. The exhaust oil discharge was very black. Someone said it was due to friction between the muffler and engine. Make sense? If so what solution do you propose?

Could it be a bearing issue? No rough turning, strange sounds. Starts with one flip of the prop and runs fine.

Thanks for your help!
    Kevin Goza

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: OS 120 AX and black exhaust oil

The friction with the muffler that they might be talking about is when the muffler can move relative to the exhaust outlet. If that's the case, tighten the screws holding the muffler in place and check them frequently.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: OS 120 AX and black exhaust oil

The muffler is held onto the engine by two bolts. This does allow the muffler to move around a bit. This will cause some aluminum to rub off of the muffler or exhaust port. Exhaust residue will also "cook" inside the muffler and become dark. The two together cause the dark residue to form. You can check this by running without the muffler and capturing some of the exhaust residue on a piece of white card. If you still see a dark residue with small metal particles, you do have an internal problem.
    Bill Baxter, Manager Hobby Services/Futaba Service/North America
    3002 N. Apollo Dr. Ste. 1 Champaign, IL 61822 USA
    Service Phone: 217 398-0007
    Email: hobbyservices@hobbico.com