Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

after market mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 02:40 PM
fotta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after market mufflers

I have a Tower Hobbies .46-size muffler that I would like to use on my OS46FX. I find that the OS is *too* quiet. I have problems hearing it when other planes are in the air.

The Tower muffler is merely a cyclinder with no baffle (as you may know). Could I potentially damage my OS46 by using it, due to decreased back pressure?
Old 06-14-2002, 05:02 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

We've not run that particular muffler on a 46FX, so i honestly don't know how it is as far as back pressure. I don't believe its a direct match or it would be listed in our files as such.

Some folks take the baffles out of their 46FX mufflers for the same reason. It DOES decrease the back pressure and increase the noise, potentially shortening the engine's life. You might consider a pitts muffler instead.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:14 PM
fotta

Thanks AnnMarie,

The muffler is an exact fit. I have read of others using these mufflers and experiencing horsepower gains. I tried it on my OS and it worked without seeming to affect the engine's performance negatively. I took it off after one of the more experienced club members mentioned there might be a problem due to the reduced back pressure