Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

New Additions to the Family!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 10:15 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Additions to the Family!

Well its been a few years since i had a snake, and i talked mom into letting me get another one. So on monday i went down checked out the store, then again on thursday and once more on friday which is tonight still i guess at time of posting.

Tonight they got more i guess stock in of snakes, so i was gonna pick up this baby ball and with the newly arrived snakes there was one that stood out. So long story short i walked out with both.

The bigger one is the female, and the smaller one is a male. The bigger one is lil, and the little guy is phil (phil and lil from rugrats...). The little guy is no more then i think 3 months, and the big girl i think is around 6-8 somewhere in that range.

Will have more pics soon, there still settling in and the tank isn't fully setup yet.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:44 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Additions to the Family!

thats cool, they make great pets, i myself have a 2yr old female boa and a 2+ year old ball python. the boas starting to get big, about 5.5feet and 8.5lbs, the python is on a 10 day diet and is a little bit bigger than your male.

im going to say they are both over a year old, they grow slow, the girl looks chunky, make sure you feed them no more than once every 7-10days.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:58 PM
IFR Pilot

I had a python about 20 years ago 8 ft. and thought I better get rid of it before it got rid of me. Not to mention I couldn't stand watching it kill cute rabbits I had to buy at the pet store.

Cool pets, I guess...

Old 10-09-2010, 10:16 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Moms Mistake

I had a python about 20 years ago 8 ft. and thought I better get rid of it before it got rid of me. Not to mention I couldn't stand watching it kill cute rabbits I had to buy at the pet store.

Cool pets, I guess...

i only buy frozen pre killed- safer, cheaper and more humane (rodent supplier uses c02 to put them out)
Old 10-10-2010, 03:32 AM
pythonfan

New video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGIkk4xnp-8&hd=1[/youtube]
Old 10-10-2010, 07:50 AM
tommygun32

Good to see the insulating properties of legos being put to great use...

They're perrrrty...
Old 10-11-2010, 06:39 PM
yoyo5

venomis
Old 10-11-2010, 08:43 PM
elven wizard

oh hello little snaky
Old 10-12-2010, 01:41 AM
tommygun32

Pythons are NOT venomous...hence they make great pets.

ORIGINAL: yoyo5

venomis
Old 10-12-2010, 02:13 AM
IFR Pilot

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

hence they make great pets.
Until a 15 footer gets around your neck while you are sleeping. J/K...

Old 10-12-2010, 04:50 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mmm, I like animals with fur. They're cuter. But, snakes are cool.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:50 AM
tommygun32

LOL...point taken.

hence they make great pets.
Until a 15 footer gets around your neck while you are sleeping. J/K...
[img][/img]
Old 10-12-2010, 12:59 PM
kaiser01

nice snakes. i have a 10 year old ball python that i rescued from the neighbor.

i'm a dog person but for a reptile ball's can't be beat. mine will not eat frozen/pre killed rats. i knock'em out and give them to him.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:36 AM
IFR Pilot

ORIGINAL: kaiser01
i knock'em out and give them to him.
I can't even do that. Years ago I raised Mourning Doves and had to slam their heads aganist a wooden post to kill them and couldn't stand it, not to mention the blood splatter on my face. When I had a snake I would put the rabbits in the snake cage alive and right off the bat I could see they were like, OH CRAP.

The other day me and my brother were walking down a sidewalk and I said, what the hell are you doing?, he replied with, what do you mean? I said you walked on an ant and don't do it again.

I can't even kill an ant, because I wouldn't want it done to me.

It may seem far fetched, but things change with time and it doesn't apply to all.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:51 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: kaiser01
i knock'em out and give them to him.

I can't even do that. Years ago I raised Mourning Doves and had to slam their heads aganist a wooden post to kill them and couldn't stand it, not to mention the blood splatter on my face. When I had a snake I would put the rabbits in the snake cage alive and right off the bat I could see they were like, OH CRAP.

The other day me and my brother were walking down a sidewalk and I said, what the hell are you doing?, he replied with, what do you mean? I said you walked on an ant and don't do it again.

I can't even kill an ant, because I wouldn't want it done to me.

It may seem far fetched, but things change with time and it doesn't apply to all.
i dont like to see a animal suffer, even to keep another alive. though i have alot less sympathy for animals that populate VERY quickly like rabbits, mice and rats, ive had pet rats, and thought they where cool pets, and would consider getting another... while also keeping a boa that eats rats... little bit twisted if you think about it[]

it irritates me so much when people kill bees, one- they will leave you alone sooner or later, and two, their population is dwindling.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I dont know about Il but out here in Cali we have plenty of bees. They are an extreme nuisance. You cant leave doors open for more than a minute before 20 meat bees are on the screen.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:10 AM
rasper

holly crap........How can you have it as a pet?.....they need to stay wild and be in the wild.
Just some pics for you guys who likes snakes...um Pythons...... By the way, its a comon snake here by me in the region we stay....what we call Bushveld...google SUN CITY on the maps and see what veld really is.... or if you wanna google more pics try this. " afrika luislange " or african python

Old 10-14-2010, 09:14 AM
The_Shark

looks like it got done eating a goat... then died on the fence, what a waste
Old 10-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

LOL! I dont think PythonFan has a snake that can eat him. + Big snakes are uncommon around here. Biggest I have seen in cali is a King snake.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:41 PM
tommygun32

That is most definently NOT a ball python. I saw those exact same pictures in a viral over 10 years ago........claiming to have been a snake found here in Dubai near an area called Jebel Ali. It actually made it in the papers here...LOL..

Don't quote me but that may be a type of water moccasin...but I'm not sure.

Oh...and by the way, most snakes bread in captivity, wouldn't survive 2 weeks in the 'wild'.

ORIGINAL: rasper

holly crap........How can you have it as a pet?.....they need to stay wild and be in the wild.
Just some pics for you guys who likes snakes...um Pythons...... By the way, its a comon snake here by me in the region we stay....what we call Bushveld...google SUN CITY on the maps and see what veld really is.... or if you wanna google more pics try this. '' afrika luislange '' or african python

Old 10-19-2010, 02:51 PM
pythonfan

First off lots of bet shops get there snakes which are wild caught, (at least around here) though higher end corp owned business get there's from a licensed breeder which are captive breed obv.

Second the pic listed above is your typical burmese, which grow to 8ft +. Balls on record the longest was 7ft something, on avg a male will grow to about 4-5feet, females 5-6feet.

Personally there's only one snake i really want, i love my balls and all kinds of snakes but one truly has a place in my heart. And that would be an albino burmese python ( http://lmgtfy.com/?q=albino+burmese+python )

The babies go for quite a pretty penny, most over 2500-5000. Now you can get them cheaper as adults but most people don't want, can't afford to feed, doesn't have the room when there full grown and often let go because of this. How many people have room or money to feed a 8ft snake? Also when buying them as a adult you don't know there past owner, how much they were handled, and often times people cage feed them so they get cage aggression.

Cage aggression is basically when the snake can't tell the difference between what is food and your hand entering the cage.

Very awesome snake.
http://www.jokeroo.com/user-content/...lb.-snake.html
Old 10-19-2010, 04:51 PM
buggyboy2010

Def NOT a Moccasin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_moccasin

Python is mostly right, its a large Reticulated: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reticulated_python

I have been dealing with and studying all forms of wildlife since I was 5yrs old, Although Up north We don't have snakes that largs unless in Zoo's, I have delt with/kept as pets,The most venomous We have here which is the Massasauga Rattlesnake , It is My pssion.. Besides RC

That is most definently NOT a ball python. I saw those exact same pictures in a viral over 10 years ago........claiming to have been a snake found here in Dubai near an area called Jebel Ali. It actually made it in the papers here...LOL..

Don't quote me but that may be a type of water moccasin...but I'm not sure.

Oh...and by the way, most snakes bread in captivity, wouldn't survive 2 weeks in the 'wild'.

ORIGINAL: rasper

Just some pics for you guys who likes snakes...um Pythons...... By the way, its a comon snake here by me in the region we stay....what we call Bushveld...google SUN CITY on the maps and see what veld really is.... or if you wanna google more pics try this. '' afrika luislange '' or african python

Old 10-19-2010, 07:41 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: pythonfan

First off lots of bet shops get there snakes which are wild caught, (at least around here) though higher end corp owned business get there's from a licensed breeder which are captive breed obv.

Second the pic listed above is your typical burmese, which grow to 8ft +. Balls on record the longest was 7ft something, on avg a male will grow to about 4-5feet, females 5-6feet.

Personally there's only one snake i really want, i love my balls and all kinds of snakes but one truly has a place in my heart. And that would be an albino burmese python ( http://lmgtfy.com/?q=albino+burmese+python )

The babies go for quite a pretty penny, most over 2500-5000. Now you can get them cheaper as adults but most people don't want, can't afford to feed, doesn't have the room when there full grown and often let go because of this. How many people have room or money to feed a 8ft snake? Also when buying them as a adult you don't know there past owner, how much they were handled, and often times people cage feed them so they get cage aggression.

Cage aggression is basically when the snake can't tell the difference between what is food and your hand entering the cage.

Very awesome snake.
http://www.jokeroo.com/user-content/...lb.-snake.html
sorry i just had to!!![sm=biggrin.gif][sm=biggrin.gif]

a large Boa is as big a snake i would like to own, any bigger (10ft upto 60lbs) and it would just be a chore to handle/ feed such a animal.