Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

ine wants to know about Graphics cards

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 03:23 PM
iexion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ine wants to know about Graphics cards

The current model im using to type this up with is a Dell XPS 400 and I think it came with a Radeon X300. Its been a very long time since I cared with I was putting into my system (before OS 98 se) And now im attempting to find a decent graphics card to upgrade to. I upgraded the memory around a year ago and not looking at buying a new system just for the very few games I play online (TF2 and maybe Starcraft 2 later down the road). I just need to ditch this current card.

Was looking at a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5670 (100289VGAL) 1024MB PCIe x16 Gen 2.0
Old 09-21-2011, 04:52 PM
DarkFire989

Default RE: ine wants to know about Graphics cards

Well before you even start to look at cards you need to know what interface you are running. Also need to know the wattage of your power supply and if has the cables to power it if the card cant be powered by the PCB.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:15 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have AGP you're out of luck - the X300 is about as good as it gets. If you have PCI-E then you have many options, only limited by your power supply. What are the other specs of system?
Old 09-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an AGP nvidia 5900 kicking around somewhere, that kicked ass back in the day.

Iexion, sadly, it is not worth spending even one cent on that machine. You will struggle to find anything compatible in the way of upgrades, and what does exist will be almost as old as what you have. In order to use a modern gfx card, you will need to upgrade the motherboard, which means you will need to upgrade the memory and processor too. Your case probably doesn't suit new motherboards either, so a case and power supply will be needed on top of that.

Consider getting a complete machine. I've seen some pretty awesome deals on the ebay for around $300. Powerful machines for hte money.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Link119
My Feedback: (1)

Learn to build a computer then i can help you with which parts you need for something up to date. Why do you need a new gpu?
And i doubt that the radeon x300 is better than http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161337
But for the 4670 you definitely need about 500 watt psu just to be on the safe side. I have been less interested in rc and more in computers recently, and i figured out that building from parts is much cheaper.
And i know that the old xps is a bit too old, but i can help you build a nice computer.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:58 PM
sheograth

Foxy, I had one of the first GeForce FX 5900 Ultras...... the ones that people called hairdryers because of the heat and airflow that thing was capable of spewing out of the back.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Link119

All graphics cards make quite a bit of heat. Thats because they are power hogs so they produce heat because of the input power.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:29 PM
sheograth

Lol I've been into PC hardware for years, I know graphics cards make heat. The 5900 Ultra is known to this day as the hottest probably. It was ridiculous.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Link119

That seems quite reasonable knowing that a lot of newer cards are really efficient. Im new to hardware, ive been in for about a year so i only know newer stuff, but i used to use an old dimension so i do know a tiny bit about the windows xp age and beyond.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:43 AM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: Link119

Learn to build a computer then i can help you with which parts you need for something up to date. Why do you need a new gpu?
And i doubt that the radeon x300 is better than http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161337
But for the 4670 you definitely need about 500 watt psu just to be on the safe side. I have been less interested in rc and more in computers recently, and i figured out that building from parts is much cheaper.
And i know that the old xps is a bit too old, but i can help you build a nice computer.
500 watts for a 4670? Haha......no. 500 watts on a good power supply will stay stable with a 5850 and an i7 for a long time and still have headroom for overclocks. A 4670 might warrant a 400 watts power supply. MIGHT.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:39 PM
DriftingFast

Yeah a 500w power supply is overkill for your specs, I'm running a ATI Radeon 5970, an AMD 3.4ghz, and 8gb ram on a 500w power supply and I still have some wattage left.

(I'm running TF2 at 1080p at 30fps.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:45 PM
HJJFFFAA

30FPS what?
Old 09-23-2011, 04:45 PM
sheograth

The posted wattage of a power supply is pretty arbitrary. It depends the quality of the power supply more than the wattage.

I'd take a 500w Enermax over an 800w logisys or something any day. The most important factor is how well the unit can maintain constant voltage as the load increases.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:41 PM
DarkFire989

Corsair PSUs FTW.....
Old 09-24-2011, 01:56 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Lol I've been into PC hardware for years, I know graphics cards make heat. The 5900 Ultra is known to this day as the hottest probably. It was ridiculous.
Indeed it was, when playing graphics intensive games it sounded like an aircraft on reverse thrust. lol
Old 09-24-2011, 07:55 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: DriftingFast

Yeah a 500w power supply is overkill for your specs, I'm running a ATI Radeon 5970, an AMD 3.4ghz, and 8gb ram on a 500w power supply and I still have some wattage left.

(I'm running TF2 at 1080p at 30fps.
It's better to go overkill than have to upgrade later... especially if you plan on running SLI.

And 30fps? I can run TF2 at 50fps on my crappy dell laptop. You should have a better framerate with a 5970, upwards of 150fps. There have been some issues with the 10.6 driver pack... but even so, you should not be at 30fps. I mean, the game uses the source engine... which is like the least hardware intensive engine ever released.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:17 AM
DarkFire989

I run TF2 maxed at 900P and it screams on my laptop.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:53 AM
iexion

ORIGINAL: Foxy

I have an AGP nvidia 5900 kicking around somewhere, that kicked ass back in the day.

Iexion, sadly, it is not worth spending even one cent on that machine. You will struggle to find anything compatible in the way of upgrades, and what does exist will be almost as old as what you have. In order to use a modern gfx card, you will need to upgrade the motherboard, which means you will need to upgrade the memory and processor too. Your case probably doesn't suit new motherboards either, so a case and power supply will be needed on top of that.

Consider getting a complete machine. I've seen some pretty awesome deals on the ebay for around $300. Powerful machines for the money.
My Free TF2 Download is going to end up costing me $300 to play it (which I will end up needing to download again to a new system anyways). [:'(]

Aside from that I was surprised to see that there are some decent gaming towers in the $300 range on ebay. For the little gaming I do coupled with the fact most game developers are becoming less likely to release games for PC's, I've been staying away from getting back to gaming on a PC (heavily). This did open some new consideration for a new tower.

And i doubt that the radeon x300 is better than http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161337
I have no problem with building a computer but knowing what "fits" with what from a graphics card/cpu/power supply/ how many gigs of Random Access Memory I want stand point is where the opera stops.

The 4670 is out of the budget (point) for this computer.

Honestly I like the thought having the capability to over clock my system but what this really comes back down to is keeping my hobbies under a reasonable budget. Given Diablo 3 should be out within the next century I wont throw out getting a new PC in the next couple of months[:-]

Does anyone know why you can use the "more smileys" function anymore?!?!
Old 09-24-2011, 02:38 PM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: iexion

Consider getting a complete machine. I've seen some pretty awesome deals on the ebay for around $300. Powerful machines for the money.
My Free TF2 Download is going to end up costing me $300 to play it (which I will end up needing to download again to a new system anyways). [:'(]

Aside from that I was surprised to see that there are some decent gaming towers in the $300 range on ebay. For the little gaming I do coupled with the fact most game developers are becoming less likely to release games for PC's, I've been staying away from getting back to gaming on a PC (heavily). This did open some new consideration for a new tower.

I have no problem with building a computer but knowing what ''fits'' with what from a graphics card/cpu/power supply/ how many gigs of Random Access Memory I want stand point is where the opera stops.

The 4670 is out out the budget (point) for this computer.

Honestly I like the thought having the capability to over clock my system but what this really comes back down to is keeping my hobbies under a reasonable budget. Given Diablo 3 should be out within the next century I wont throw out getting a new PC in the next couple of months[:-]

Does anyone know why you can use the ''more smileys'' function anymore?!?!
There is no reason for TF2 to cost $300 to play... An nvidia MX440 will play it on low settings.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Link119

You just cant play it on integrated graphics. Like sandybridge integrated graphics or any intel onboard chipsets. Onboard video chipsets will have to a bit of lag in fps because it blurs a bit. But the amd fusion processors have a sufficient graphics processor. For any framerate 30fps or lower the graphics would be a bit slow.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:26 PM
sheograth

We're aware the Smileys function isnt working right.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Foxy

I have no problem with building a computer but knowing what ''fits'' with what from a graphics card/cpu/power supply/ how many gigs of Random Access Memory I want stand point is where the opera stops.

I have nothing much further to add to what I said before, but I would like you to consider this...

The PC existed before all the consoles, it will still exist after the consoles. It is still considered the premier gaming platform. A $2000 PC make a $400 console look like the child's toy that it is. Even a $500 PC can do better than the current generation of consoles. I know the console fanboys are gonna jump on me for this, but you really should see Borderlands running on my machine, it is a thing of beauty. ALL FPS games that exist on both platforms (consoles and PCs) are a lot better on PCs. My point is that nobody is slowing down their PC development. In fact, I am expecting a PC revival soon, as the consoles reached their technical peak already a year ago, the only way for developers to continue pushing the envelope until the next generation (which is still 5 years away) is by doing so on the PC. I currently own all the consoles, and all the handhelds, I always have, I always will, gaming is a serious interest for me, but if I'm honest, I only play sports games (and various console exclusives) on the consoles, because most other type of game is done better on the PC. Take Gears of War for instance. A console staple. Yep, it's better on the PC.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:08 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: sheograth

The posted wattage of a power supply is pretty arbitrary. It depends the quality of the power supply more than the wattage.

I'd take a 500w Enermax over an 800w logisys or something any day. The most important factor is how well the unit can maintain constant voltage as the load increases.
This cannot be emphasized enough. I think the PSU is often overlooked when building a system, and the quality of that PSU is a huge factor. Reading up on tech reviews always helps (and has steered me towards brands like Corsair and Antec repeatedly - I'm sure Enermax is in the mix as well, as you state).

PC builders should listen to Foxy and Sheograth - they know loads about this stuff.

Helpful reviews can be found on sites like anandtech.com and toms hardware rewview (although Tom's site is littered with a scary amount of info lately).

anandtech always does a nice "roundup" of building a budget, mid-level, and top end PC now and again to give you a baseline of where to start looking. I like those guys.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:14 AM
proanti1

I have nothing much further to add to what I said before, but I would like you to consider this...

The PC existed before all the consoles, it will still exist after the consoles. It is still considered the premier gaming platform. A $2000 PC make a $400 console look like the child's toy that it is. Even a $500 PC can do better than the current generation of consoles. I know the console fanboys are gonna jump on me for this, but you really should see Borderlands running on my machine, it is a thing of beauty. ALL FPS games that exist on both platforms (consoles and PCs) are a lot better on PCs. My point is that nobody is slowing down their PC development. In fact, I am expecting a PC revival soon, as the consoles reached their technical peak already a year ago, the only way for developers to continue pushing the envelope until the next generation (which is still 5 years away) is by doing so on the PC. I currently own all the consoles, and all the handhelds, I always have, I always will, gaming is a serious interest for me, but if I'm honest, I only play sports games (and various console exclusives) on the consoles, because most other type of game is done better on the PC. Take Gears of War for instance. A console staple. Yep, it's better on the PC.
A lot of people dont mind the slight compromise in graphics, as opposed to pay the $2500+ for a computer. I dont need a dedicated desk for my console, I can sit on the couch and play, and I can plug it into by big ass TV. Pretty much the only people who bring it up are PC fanboys.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:29 AM
HJJFFFAA

The compromise ain't slight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.