Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

PayPal question!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 05:25 AM
OvalRacer99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PayPal question!

OK guys, having been playin the rc game for a lot of years, there is still something that confuses the heck out of me.
When selling stuff online and taking PayPal, why do some of you want me, the buyer, to pay the PayPal fees?
When I sell stuff, so what if PayPal charges me a couple bucks. No big deal, a little less $$$$$ in my pocket. Small pricce to pay for the convenience and the protection they provide.
I just can't seem to understand why some sellers are so cheap that they want me to cover their costs of doing business.
Your thoughts and opinions will be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I don't buy form anyone who wants me to cover the PayPal fees!!!!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:45 AM
Karontu

Default RE: PayPal question!

there are no paypal fees O.o, i buy and sell online all the time and have never heard of paypal fees
Old 09-25-2011, 06:06 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There certainly are paypal fees. The seller should bear them, never accept that. If someone wants a safe guaranteed payment, they can pay the fees. You are obliged, as the buyer to pay ONLY the face value of the auction and shipping.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:51 AM
OvalRacer99

ORIGINAL: Karontu

there are no paypal fees O.o, i buy and sell online all the time and have never heard of paypal fees
As a seller acepting PayPal, you get charged a small percentage of the total sale.(1.9% to 2.9% +$0.30) Buyer doesn't pay any fees.
Now, some have gotten around this by asking payment be sent as a gift, but as a buyer, if you do that and get hosed, you have no way to
recoupe that. If it is not a gift and you get hosed, you can file a greviance and possibly get your $$ back.
I just think it is bad business to ask the buyer to cover the PayPal fees and wanted to get others opinions.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:10 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doesn't matter who pays the fees. As long as you know the seller expect you to add the fee to the asking price ahead of time. Its only 2%-4% or somewthing like that. Its not much money at all. It is less than sales tax that most states have. you pay sales tax every time go to a regular store so what the difference?When you negotiate the final price you just figure in the fees too. nothing to make a big deal about.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:54 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

I think it is ridiculous to charge paypal fees to the buyer. it's like if the dentist would charge you extra fees for his malpractice insurance :O it should be part of the asking price, so one can compare prices "as advertized"...
any ad ons are just a way to extort more money, LIKE the airlines do ))) charging you for using the bathroom in flight IT"S JUST WRONG! IMO
Old 09-25-2011, 02:48 PM
sheograth

I never charge the fees to buyers. I'm the one who gets all the benefits of having a premier account. It may even be against paypals user agreement to do that, just like it's technically illegal for stores to charge more to credit card users or have a "minimum".
Old 09-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I once bought an item on e-bay where the Seller came back and complained because I was using MasterCard in combination with PayPal, so he was losing two fees. Mind you, his Advert stated he preferred Paypal and all the usual credit card logos were up there.

So I offered him another $4 (item was over $200) and he was satisfied. But I should have told him "NO!" and reported him to E-bay, but I wanted the item and it was hard to find.

What annoyed me the most, is that it was an auction, and the final price was really abstract (or arbitrary; not sure what word I want to use here). It was well over the reserve, so he should have been happy, at least by +/- $4, but he was just a cheapskate.

Only satisfaction I had was to see his account was supended a few weeks later, so he must have been doing this to a number of Buyers.

Basically, the Seller has the opportunity to list his price, or set his reserve, to allow for all these fees, and he ought to do so.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:02 PM
sheograth

Yeah, the final price should be the final price. In any case its totally against ebays policies to tack on any additions after the sale..

BTW: I'm moving this to the off topic forum.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:06 PM
splcrazy

for buying off ebay is ok but as a seller you have to deal with alot of re tards and time wasters and false buyers , I also think the fees to put something up for sale and then fees again once its sold is a complete ripp off they make heaps of money of relisting aswell .
Old 09-25-2011, 07:40 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Buying and selling stuff is a business. when you sell something you tyypically want to get the most money you possibly can for it. when you are buying something you want to get it for the least amount of money possible. eventually the final sale price will fall somewhere in the middle. this is how capitalism works and what make it so great. as long as the fee are posted up front then I don't see what the big deal is. if the seller is not upfront about the fee and then expoects you to pay them you are by no means liable to pay the extra expense. you have every right to cancel the sale if that is what you wish. No body can force you to spend money you don't want to spend. Don't bash ebay and paypal just because you don't like how they make their money. that is why they are in business in the first place. don't get caught thinking they are there for the customer (you). every business has one goal in mind. to make money. You have the freedom to give ebay or paypal your business or not. they both provide a valuble servise and that servis is not free. If you don't like that then don't use the service. am I the only one who doesn't care about the fees or who pays them?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:51 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

I agree 90% of what you wrote YF, but what i always liked about capitalism is that the "error" does not fall on the consumer. let me give you an example how it's NOT suppose to work:

lets say you are in a different country. the prices of items are marked the same as usual ( ex.$ 5.99 ) BUT there's no penny in the monetary system. so the seller charges you $ 6 instead of 5.99

That's not the American way. unfortunately that's the way it works where i live & it's against all principles i've known in Canada. If there's any "rounding" of a sum, it must be LOWER than the original. Plus, you cannot advertise a price "outside" the monetary denomination values.

That's the price of living in a ex communist country, where principles were based on different values