Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Quitting RC. I am not torn.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 10:32 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechanicaloverlord
This is Maj_Overdrive. A friend I sold some RC stuff to made this account as a joke after I told him to do some of his own research and not to bother with this place. He gave me the log in info and most of the posts have been mine. It was a fun joke but the novelty has worn off. I wasn't going to say anything when I left this time just quietly close my account but I want to point out a few things/people.

DieHarder: Thanks brother. You know I don't really go on forums to make friends, I do it to learn, help and see cool stuff. 9 times out of 10 I'm just straightforward, to the point. This works, this doesn't, here's what I suggest. Fully understanding another person's advice/knowledge, problem, question, or how they did something cool is like a point of pride for me and I put a lot into that. Glad you could see that because understanding is everything.

J330: The forum and the world would be a better place if only it were that simple. I'll do my best though. Just something to think about. If nobody complained, how would we know if there were any issues that ruined someone's enjoyment?

Ext2Rob: I still have no idea why you compared me to Trump in that thread where I reported the counterfeit Slash 4x4. You do see the forum and YouTube accounts used exclusively for promoting products and know those people get paid for it right? Same happens with illegal/counterfeit goods. The next thread that guy made in the car section was for another counterfeit product. On RCGroups the guy has reviews for well over 50 RC vehicles, all obtained from 2 places and posted in a short time frame, too short for someone not getting paid for it. I gave him the benefit of the doubt in the thread but anyone can see he's posting reviews for profit to benefit a manufacturer and/or distributor some of whose products are illegal. And I'm the bad guy? Rob I've known you to be nothing but friendly and level headed on the forums, except when it comes to politics. I had great respect for you but now I'm saddened at how much this incident and your behavior regarding politics has diminished that respect. Heck, now I wouldn't doubt it you were one of those rioting and destroying others property but I sincerely hope you didn't participate and it was just passion and frustration you were releasing on me. Even though it was totally unjustified.

....dang man. Had no idea that was you. Sorry about the crap that happened. It shouldn't have happened and I should have stopped the argument before it got bad. But, school, work, and everything else gets in the way of just plain old fun RC as well as my time on the forum. I still race for sure, local, not-so-local, and regional stuff, but I never have time to throw a pack in my Stampede down at the local building lot.

See? That's what we're missing. Everyone these days is so concerned about lap times and setups, that they don't have fun or help out new guys. Really does suck what this hobby has turned into. However, I'll be here until the bitter end for sure. I never want to leave and I never wanted this site to go down in popularity. I remember when I joined back in 2008, I was a stupid kid asking stupid questions, and the site was popping more than any other forum for RC. I loved it here, you guys were awesome, and I still remember my first Lounge post about getting rear-ended in a go-kart. Dunno why, but it just kinda sucked me in here.

Guess all we can do is wait until the end. But, let's have fun and answer some questions while we're at it, eh?
Old 01-05-2017, 08:32 AM
4NJBOYS

If you quit they win as a Newbie to RC Trucks with Grandsons I saw exactly what you are put off by.
Just after my first post, I was attacked by only 2 posters with a history of being elitists, other members stated ignore them inclouding administrators,
In my opinion when someone has been involved for years with vast experience of any Hobby such as I believe you have it is more boredom with published information than the contents. I need members such as you to help me without being critical of my questions or opinions. you can see one of my posts in Redcat forum. At 75 I do not need d the BS either. but one can pick and choose, Hang in their members like me need you. Bill ----Central Monmouth County NJ. Entered RC this Christmas.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:39 PM
dsales

It's truly sad how this place and the hobby in general have declined. Late 2009 when the recession truly hit the U.K. pretty much every model shop here started going bankrupt. I kept at it purchasing online for a year or so after but it was just too much of a pain waiting for a few days to get parts, then I went to university and couldn't afford the time or money for it and this place started getting really quiet. Then I got into real cars and drones which is what still gives me my RC fix. Luckily before I packed up and left home I put up a shelf in my dad's shed and pretty much stuck anything of value that I had on it and scrapped the rest. Today I went over and started working on some things to get them working again and decided to check back in on this place. I hope to get everything in running condition again if I can find the spare parts.
I don't think I'll ever be the same guy I was 10 years ago that couldn't wait to finish a day of school/work and go bash some RCs but it's nice to reminisce once in a while. Life changes so much and it creeps me out whenever I see this shelf with the things of my teenage years but there's so many good memories here.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ABB63D65-0AC6-4235-A4E9-E86B2652EE0F.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	2196850  
Old 01-15-2017, 01:43 PM
4NJBOYS

Maybe you need a break. I go full guns when I start any Hobby.in many and loose interest only to return again. As far as any Forum go time to time problems arise You have some posters who are starting and those that have been on it for 1000s of posts and clicks form. but in general, the vast majority are very helpful and Patient. Opinions are just that every on has one.
I just got back into the hobby with RC Models after a short visit with a drone and was into wire controlled planes at an early stage I am now 75 and got my 2 grandsons Redcat Blackouts for Xmas we had some growing pains some solved on here and most with Redcat and YouTube. did some upgrades and repairing To let any poster discourage us not going to happen. Some questions are below the elitists as stupid the only thing stupid is the answers. Interest is big in NJ. USA with many Clubs and tracks from RC 1/10 to full-size Nascar. NHRA . You have a good looking collection in that photo well organized maybe just get involved with some new people get them involved. as far as The RC Vehicles I only see big improvements and selections. It is what you make it.
Mate so ( Cheerios as we Americans say. )
Old 01-23-2017, 10:08 PM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J330
The issue is not the forum, or the forum 8community. The issue are those that are complaining.

Here are the benefits that make this hobby and forum part of my life:

The hobby is always evolving into new technologies now more than ever. It's also a lot more affordable than ever, except glow fuel and the cost of shipping. (Neither of those are RCU's fault.)
Seasoned and new hobbyists can exchange their experiences and share their strengths with each other within minutes.
You can save money, not always using trial and error methods by yourself, but document your success for the benefit of others.
Some have a higher level of going about things, and this enlightens others who either do not have the time or money to extrapolate data, which is far more beneficial than just trusting advertised specs translated into english.
This is a virtual meeting place to socially gain experience, not an anti-social one.
YOU can demonstrate and share YOUR interests and thinking on what you did in the hobby today, or what project you've started. Most post in a thread, how many start a thread?
This is where thousands are sharing a common interest, to grow, and experience one another's perspective through a vast array of personalities, ages, and cultures on how they express themselves, and there lies the challenge.
Are you arguing with a kid from junior high perhaps, and he brought you down to his level?
You really get offended for offensive reasons, then report the unwanted behavior. Trolls are removed.
Moderators want you to enjoy yourselves and speak to each other respectfully, as it should be.

Enjoyment in the hobby comes from within. Society online in any forum, is pretty consistent, people are people.
You'll find those that are more mature than other, and the best way to handle a thread that gets out of hand, or if you get a reply that you don't particularly agree with, you make your own choice, to rebuttal the point with more information, or simply do not respond. But people are going to give a response, that's the rules of an forum. It's an open arena and a collection of opinions and viewpoints.

The hobby offers a continuous learning experience, and the forum provides the place to find like minded people.

You don't have to be always right. let it go.

You can always learn from someone else. Believe it and think of that when you post.
Stop regretting yesterday and what a toxic person had to say. Move on. You know yourself better than a man that judges you by one forum thread. Critical behavior will follow anyone. Perhaps

You do NOT have to impress others. Humility goes a long way.
Change the way you think, because maybe the way you think now, hasn't been working for you. Perhaps the quitters have had issues long before the RCU experience in their tolerance of others? It's still with them and the atmosphere isn't going to get better on another forum. If you want the forum to smell like roses and fill a need, how about YOU start changing it? You're missing out on today if you're complaining and worry about what someone else is doing. Your happiness comes from within.
When you get there, post on RCU, I'll enjoy reading your post soon. Just like a forum starts from its humble beginnings, you can bring along a friend and build it back up. Beats PS4 games.
Bravo! Well said. And I don't care this is an old thread. 😀
Old 01-23-2017, 10:49 PM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechanicaloverlord
This is Maj_Overdrive. A friend I sold some RC stuff to made this account as a joke after I told him to do some of his own research and not to bother with this place. He gave me the log in info and most of the posts have been mine. It was a fun joke but the novelty has worn off. I wasn't going to say anything when I left this time just quietly close my account but I want to point out a few things/people.

DieHarder: Thanks brother. You know I don't really go on forums to make friends, I do it to learn, help and see cool stuff. 9 times out of 10 I'm just straightforward, to the point. This works, this doesn't, here's what I suggest. Fully understanding another person's advice/knowledge, problem, question, or how they did something cool is like a point of pride for me and I put a lot into that. Glad you could see that because understanding is everything.

J330: The forum and the world would be a better place if only it were that simple. I'll do my best though. Just something to think about. If nobody complained, how would we know if there were any issues that ruined someone's enjoyment?

Ext2Rob: I still have no idea why you compared me to Trump in that thread where I reported the counterfeit Slash 4x4. You do see the forum and YouTube accounts used exclusively for promoting products and know those people get paid for it right? Same happens with illegal/counterfeit goods. The next thread that guy made in the car section was for another counterfeit product. On RCGroups the guy has reviews for well over 50 RC vehicles, all obtained from 2 places and posted in a short time frame, too short for someone not getting paid for it. I gave him the benefit of the doubt in the thread but anyone can see he's posting reviews for profit to benefit a manufacturer and/or distributor some of whose products are illegal. And I'm the bad guy? Rob I've known you to be nothing but friendly and level headed on the forums, except when it comes to politics. I had great respect for you but now I'm saddened at how much this incident and your behavior regarding politics has diminished that respect. Heck, now I wouldn't doubt it you were one of those rioting and destroying others property but I sincerely hope you didn't participate and it was just passion and frustration you were releasing on me. Even though it was totally unjustified.
Hey Maj, if you ever read this, I apologize. I must've missed the boat on that subject, I obviously didn't know what I was talking about. And as for the Trump comparison, who knows? I was probably in a bad mood, and I will admit I can get testy. 😤😂 Not one of my best traits. You're absolutely right, totally unjustified. 😇 I DO feel passionately about the direction the country is going, but it's not necessary to project that onto stuff people talk about here. That's my bad. And I hope it's not a major reason you're leaving, have left....er...But if that's so, I would feel really bad. Sorry dude.

As for me, I'm not sure I'm too concerned about how "lively" the place is. There usually seem to be a few good knowledgeable folk still sticking around. I got a lot of good information when I first came here, so I like to try and return the favor by answering questions here if I can. It's supposed to be fun, right?