Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.
View Poll Results: A poll
CA Internet security 2008
0%
Zone alarm 2008 (I think thats the name)
14.29%
Microsoft One Care
7.14%
Other (please list below)
78.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Internet security

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:56 PM
JB COMP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internet security

what Internet security software do you use, and which do you like he best, I have (well my family has 3 computers it has to go on) we did have CA Internet security 2007 and it expires soon, so we need to firgure out if we want to renew or change to something else, I'm currently trying Onecare right now.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:07 PM
secretsg

Default RE: Internet security

Do you need antivirus or just firewall? If you are looking for complete package I'd suggest Kaspersky.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:58 PM
JB COMP

well, we're looking for anti virus, spyware, phishing, and firewall, and onecar has a few computer performence features I like.

and maybe anto spam aswell.

and if you list others (than what I listed in the poll) a link would be great so I don't have to do as much searching, Thanks.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:15 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude, security is my living, I check the systems of the largest companies in the world to make sure they're secure, including banks. What do I use at home? AVG Antivirus, windows firewall. Nothing else. I used to run a program which tracks changes to files, but it was collecting too much irrelevant data, and i didn't get an attack in months, so I switched it off. The best way to manage security is to make sure your windows is properly updated, so that vulnerabilities are closed promptly.

If you do that, then only the finest hackers will be able to get in. Why would the finest hackers be interested in your system? They're not. See my point? People worry too much. You're not the secretary of defence are you? Ok then.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:27 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just use a mishmash of a few free programs.

AVG Antivirus
ZoneAlarm Free edition
Spy-Bot

Havnt had major problems in years
Old 01-31-2008, 03:28 PM
JB COMP

you've got a good point Foxy, but I would like a anti spyware as well.

You're not the secretary of defence are you?
could be,
LOL
no I'm not.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:33 PM
zeen420
Banned

ORIGINAL: sheograth

I just use a mishmash of a few free programs.

AVG Antivirus
ZoneAlarm Free edition
Spy-Bot

Havnt had major problems in years
Ya i use the Spy-bot S&D, AVG antivirus free edition, AVG anti-spyware, then just windows firewall and windows defender, windows defender is just another spyware prog but it dosent work that great
Old 01-31-2008, 03:58 PM
A.B.U

ehh this comp has McAfee, Windows Defender, Ad-Aware and that's about it.

Had Norton, but i hate norton.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:24 PM
SpikeX

I use AVG Free Edition and Windows Firewall. AVG has kept my old computer clean for 3 years, and detected and killed off viruses very well.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:28 PM
JB COMP

we used to have Ad-Aware till we got CA, which now CA has gone down hill.

Ad-Aware is free if I remember correctly, right?
Old 01-31-2008, 05:08 PM
nickd

used avg wasn't happy with it as with many others
My favorite now that I strongly recommend is NOD32 (get the corporate level security if you want (I do lol)
It is the lightest weight and most efficient I have used i am sure you would be very happy with it
Old 01-31-2008, 05:18 PM
JB COMP

oh, one more thing, the Internet security can't slow our computers down, CA did, and I hated that. with CA my laptop was running at 50 processes and now with the one care demo its running at 37, and the CA made my IE 7 memory usage go up like crazy, I turn my laptop on in the morning the turn it off at night so it on from 8:00Am to 10:00PM (usually) and my IE 7 memory usage will be at 150,000K or so by the afternoon, and now with the one care demo its at 81,000K and with the CA the memory usage would keep clumping all day, but now it only goes up if I on a new window or a new tab, and I'm liking that.

I only have 1GB of memory in my laptop and I don't want to use that 1GB on something that I don't have to be using it on.

thank for all the replies, I'll look them over and let my Mom and Dad look them over and deside on what we're going with.

This off topic RCU forum is AWESOME, RCU is the best
Old 01-31-2008, 08:59 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got Norton, like it really well, haven't had any problems.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:44 PM
ssj2

I have heard that the freeware version of AVG Antivirus is pretty good, along with ZoneAlarm as far as firewalls go. I have McAfee internet security suite and we haven't picked up any viruses yet so I guess it's doing alright. I would say that AVG is your best bet unless you want to look into purchasing a program. If you consider Norton, also consider that it's a large program. My machine runs much quicker on startup than it did with Norton because Norton, IMO, is very bulky. Also, if you plan on running dual programs, research first that nobody is having any problems as far as compatibility goes. That could bring you into frustrating, unwanted problems.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:12 PM
snoking16

I have a MAC....we dont have viruses.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:16 PM
Nik.

nobody would think of spending the effort to make viruses for a measly mac. Most people use windows so that is the biggest target.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:16 PM
mandtra
My Feedback: (29)

Trend Micro is #1 , AVG is #2, Kaspersky is #3 I would never use panda, norton, mcaffe , or any other discount antivirus software
Old 01-31-2008, 10:19 PM
Nik.

get a router, and set it up as a hardware firewall.

I like the program Ccleaner. it is not a scanner per se, but it is the best tool doe cleaning temporary files and repairing the registry, which is where most adware\spyware resides nowadays. Most of the 'virusses' you see are just adware\spyware, not many people make worms anymore and your computer is a very small target for being hacked.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:24 PM
JB COMP

I'm thinking of getting a free anti virus and spyware from filehippo.com so I don't have to pay for anything.

I know a few of ya'll said you use a anti virus and windows firewall, how good is windows firewall compared to say a some of these http://filehippo.com/software/firewalls/ or a firewall program (foxy42 since you do security stuff, how good is the windows firewall compared to the stuff you work with or what do you think about it)

sorry about all the questions, but its basicly I have to research all this, pick the best one and tell my dad why I pick it, My mom can research it but she don't know much about this stuff, and Dad knows as much as I do if not more, but he's too busy with work, so like I said its up to me.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:41 PM
Nik.

The windows firewall if fine. The main things that will get you into trouble is actions and going to certain websites. You need to be careful, websites like filehippo can install bad stuff on your machine, and if you zooming around the net clicking on every link you see will surely get you some nice malware. Just keep the windows firewall on (the one that comes with XP is fine IMO) and be careful of the sites you visit.

Another thing you can do id dump Internet Explorer. Get Firefox and the NoScript extension, it blocks all sorts of websites form running scripts you might not want to run. Firefox also doesn't support ActiveX, witch is the main hole in internet explorer that the bad stuff gets through. IE7 OK, but id look into firefox too.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:32 AM
ssj2

ORIGINAL: mandtra

Trend Micro is #1 , AVG is #2, Kaspersky is #3 I would never use panda, norton, mcaffe , or any other discount antivirus software
I forgot about Trend Micro, that is also a very good program. They're online FREE scan picked up stuff that my Norton scan failed to do when I still was running Norton.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:31 AM
associatedrules

Ever since I started using Avast I have not had a problem with anything since. It is free for home use but not business. It updates every night around 2 in the morning and it is active while you're surfing the web.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:31 AM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: Nik.

Another thing you can do id dump Internet Explorer. Get Firefox and the NoScript extension, it blocks all sorts of websites form running scripts you might not want to run. Firefox also doesn't support ActiveX, witch is the main hole in internet explorer that the bad stuff gets through. IE7 OK, but id look into firefox too.
isn't ActiveX what runs videos and stuff online? or does firefox have a way around that?

and would the "NoScript extension" be a update or would I have to go somewhere and install it myself.

Ok, heres what its looking like I'm going to do,

get AVG anti virus, AVG anti spyware, and Firefox. and the best thing about that is its free, I like free

I know this is offtopic, but dose anyone know of a good backup software that dose full back-ups of the drive, the one that came with a external drive is junk. and free.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:51 AM
JB COMP

I got firefox and I don't think we'll be using it, I'm having a few problems with it not loading the flash player, and a few other things. Is there anyway to get firefox to look and act like IE 7? my Mom don't like anything new, and this is alot different then IE 7 (she just upgraded to XP from 98 this year, and she still don't know how to use XP that well, so changing to firefox it a no go unless we can get it to look and act like IE)

and I couldn't move any of my favorites or as called in FF bookmarks around and thats annoying
Old 02-01-2008, 12:19 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the [link=https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4988]IE 7 skin[/link] and that's as close to actual IE 7 as makes no difference. Are you using the NO SCRIPT addon for firefox?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.