Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Starter Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:10 PM
hands without shadows

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Bike

With the amount of sunlight and nicer weather we've been getting lately I'm thinking of buying a motorcycle. I'm 6'3", skinny and want to keep it on the cheap because I'm on a student budget. I have dirt bike experience but I will definitely be taking a safety course because it will teach me proper habits, drop insurance, and counts as your m1 exit test. I'm looking to buy used and would like something thats common and rugged. I'm leaning towards a Honda Rebel because of the price, availability, and toughness but I'm not sure if it will fit me comfortably because of my height. I will probably go check out the local Honda dealership to make sure it fits before I start really looking.

Are there any flaws in my thinking? How about recommendations as to what model bikes to look at, what to look for in a used bike, buying gear, etc? Any tips or warnings?
Old 04-01-2008, 12:13 AM
zeen420
Banned

Default RE: Starter Bike

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

With the amount of sunlight and nicer weather we've been getting lately I'm thinking of buying a motorcycle. I'm 6'3", skinny and want to keep it on the cheap because I'm on a student budget. I have dirt bike experience but I will definitely be taking a safety course because it will teach me proper habits, drop insurance, and counts as your m1 exit test. I'm looking to buy used and would like something thats common and rugged. I'm leaning towards a Honda Rebel because of the price, availability, and toughness but I'm not sure if it will fit me comfortably because of my height. I will probably go check out the local Honda dealership to make sure it fits before I start really looking.

Are there any flaws in my thinking? How about recommendations as to what model bikes to look at, what to look for in a used bike, buying gear, etc? Any tips or warnings?
lets see....there is always the 250cc honda's and I think kawasaki has one also, And there is alot of older model bikes ranging from 250-450cc which are great starter bikes, go check out kijiji.com and do a search for Ontario, positive you will find something there. Anything over 500cc will kill you on insurance ( trust me, Ontario motorcycle insurance is HIGH..eperience [&:] ) and personally I think 500cc is plenty, any higher and your just asking for it [X(]
I'll check for some models for ya, But your main bet is, Yamaha,Kawasaki,Honda
Old 04-01-2008, 12:32 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

500cc is plenty
Indeed. I had the pleasure of driving one of these fellows once, Valkyrie Rune - it was an experience. Freaky though, not something I'd like to do every day.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:50 AM
Longhair

Don't worry too much on the engine size.

The biggest thing is that you are comfortable on the thing to keep you alert at all times.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:40 AM
zeen420
Banned

ORIGINAL: Longhair

The biggest thing is that you are comfortable on the thing to keep you alert at all times.
Yes worry about it... Thats my point.. Newbie getting on a bike....You don't want a big cc..... And unless He want's to be paying 800$ a month for a yzfr1 then all the power to ya

But I will agree with being comfortable on one and staying very alert at all times, I used to have a 500 Suzuki bandit, Wicked little bike..but..WOW. uncomfortable! And they way they had it designed, All that cold air would come right over top of the gas tank and....down..... ya... wasn't very comfortable after about an hours worth of riding
Old 04-01-2008, 10:43 AM
zeen420
Banned

ORIGINAL: zeen420

ORIGINAL: Longhair

Yes worry about it... Thats my point.. Newbie getting on a bike....You don't want a big cc..... And unless He want's to be paying 800$ a month for a yzfr1 then all the power to ya

But I will agree with being comfortable on one and staying very alert at all times, I used to have a 500 Suzuki bandit, Wicked little bike..but..WOW. uncomfortable! And they way they had it designed, All that cold air would come right over top of the gas tank and....down..... ya... wasn't very comfortable after about an hours worth of riding
And Sheo
That bike it amazing, I also had a chance to steal one for a day from my local dealership.. What an phenomenal ride!, I've always givin props to honda for making a very nice cruiser.. But would never buy one, Only because thats the Harley fan in Me
Old 04-01-2008, 07:20 PM
-Inverted-

Harley is a great bike if your looking to spend 7x more than comparable motorcycles.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:22 PM
-Inverted-

Harley is a great bike if your looking to spend 7x more than comparable motorcycles.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:34 AM
zeen420
Banned

ORIGINAL: -Inverted-

Umm..sorry..not true...Do some research bud, I ain't going to argue about it

Honda's etc are ment to the person who wants to get out there and not worry about fixing anything ( lazy...lol)

Harley drivers work and tune there bikes constantly..get to know them very well and appreciate the ride more

Old 04-02-2008, 06:56 PM
-Inverted-

ORIGINAL: zeen420

ORIGINAL: -Inverted-

Umm..sorry..not true...Do some research bud, I ain't going to argue about it

Honda's etc are ment to the person who wants to get out there and not worry about fixing anything ( lazy...lol)

Harley drivers work and tune there bikes constantly..get to know them very well and appreciate the ride more

I've done plenty of research. Ever compare the price and feature list of a Honda Goldwing to a comparable H. Davidson? I have seen Goldwing trikes for $20,000, whereas the comparable Harley is selling for $45,000.

I also disagree entirely with your statement about how "Harley riders appreciate their ride more." Unless your referring to fanboyism, in which that statement would be true. The typical Harley rider holds a superego towards his bike and expels hatred to any competitor.

What do I know though... I am more of a street fan.

Cough* MV Agusta Senna? *Cough....darn colds.