Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Ford F150 trucks get diesel engines

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:54 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford F150 trucks get diesel engines

I have been waiting a long time for Ford to actually drop in a diesel engine into the F150 chassis. The 4.4L that they want to use is estimated to get more than 20% more fuel mileage than a 5.4L gas engine.

But back in May, I heard that Ford was shelving the plan and not going to sell the 2010 F150 in a diesel trim.
Does anyone know if this is correct or is it only internet banter and BS?

I tell you, if the 2010 does get a F150 diesel, I will get one especially if the truck can be rated at 10,000lbf capacity. Beats the heck of buying a much larger 6L F250/350 truck that gets less MPG and is overkill in many cases.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:57 PM
04DarkShadowGT

Default RE: Ford F150 trucks get diesel engines

I have no clue but it would be a great idea imo. I am a huge ford fan, but the 5.4L sucks in a truck. The rest of the truck is darn near perfect, it just needs more power.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:16 PM
SAVAGEJIM

No doubt. Personally, I find it utterly stupid that such large gas engines are being dropped into these trucks to make up for the lack of torque that diesel engines make. A V10? Come on Ford! And Dodge too does that with their gas version of their HD trucks. A truck version of the viper engine!

There are work trucks and diesel is the best thing to put into them. Yes, diesel engines are heavier and they cost much more, but for the work these trucks need to do, diesel cannot be beat. Diesel engines will even run hundreds of thousands of miles before they must be rebuilt, they are more fuel efficient and even off-set the higher cost of diesel fuel.

As for putting a strain on the global fuel supply, if everyone went to diesel of an equivalent displacement of their current gassers, the global fuel supply demand will actually drop. Diesel is also easier to refine where gasolines require a bit more steps in the refinery process.

I have no earthly diesel fuel is so damn expensive; I think they are cooking the crude much more to make more gasolines to feed our more inefficient gasser engines. Thus the result is less diesel per barrel of crude produced, therefore an artificial rise in diesel fuel demand and a move to keep us reliant on more inefficient gasolines.

Sorry, this is just the conspiracy theorist in me thinking aloud.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:46 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's true and they actually come to market, that would be great.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Jailbird1818
My Feedback: (5)

I'm not a fan of Ford at all but I hope they go through with it. The half ton truck market needs a diesel in the US.

-JB
Old 07-21-2009, 06:02 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I know that Dodge and GMC/Chevy also were planning half ton diesels, but thier "restructuring" (*cough*, ahem* BANKRUPTCY! *cough*) have made both of these great truck companies shelve this idea too. Ford, seeing the move of tehse two hold off, might have shelved theirs too because they do not have competing half ton diesels against theirs.

Personally, I say ford should go for the jugular and put theirs out and get a serious step ahead.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:27 AM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

I agree. Ford needs to go ahead and throw a diesel in the truck, HD Tranny and diff as well. It would be a killer truck, but the majority of buyers would probably just use it as their daily driver. Hey, I got a truck that gets better gas mileage than some cars and I got a bed in the back to carry my new mattress set home in. What's this little hitch thingy for? Wait, don't throw that in there, you might scratch the bed! It's surprising how many people I know that are like that.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:21 AM
elven wizard

I always thought the International engines were real good for Ford.

The diesal engines today are so much more refined than years ago.

Elven Wizard
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85135.gif
Views:	15
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1241652  
Old 07-22-2009, 10:15 AM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: elven wizard

I always thought the International engines were real good for Ford.

The diesal engines today are so much more refined than years ago.

Elven Wizard

The ONLY GOOD diesel engine ford EVER put in their trucks was the 7.3. Then they turboed it and made it 100x better. I will never buy a ford 250 or bigger with a diesel cause they suck. But if they come out with a diesel in the f 150, ill wait and see how it works out before i go and bash on it. But if its fords motor and not internationals. I wouldnt buy one.....
Old 07-22-2009, 11:32 AM
elven wizard

Thats what Chevy did years ago made there own in house diesal and it wasn't sucessful. Not to say Ford will do the same or have the same results if they chose not to go with International. Many owners that have had Ford diesal's that I know of were extremely happy with them.

Elven Wizard
Old 07-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Eman77

Interestingly, diesel fuel here (Chicago-land, IL) is cheaper than regular gas. By maybe $.10/gallon. (It varies). It used to be noticeably more expensive ($.15-20??), but that changed. I have no idea why.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:01 PM
larryf333

The same trend is taking place here Eman. Diesel should always be cheaper than Regular anyhow. What cracks me up is when you have two gas stations, right beside each other, both have the same gas supplier, one 10 cents cheaper a gallon, yet people still go to the more expensive one. It's ridiculous. I know if you buy 20 gallons you only save $2, but that adds up quick.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

ORIGINAL: larryf333

The same trend is taking place here Eman. Diesel should always be cheaper than Regular anyhow. What cracks me up is when you have two gas stations, right beside each other, both have the same gas supplier, one 10 cents cheaper a gallon, yet people still go to the more expensive one. It's ridiculous. I know if you buy 20 gallons you only save $2, but that adds up quick.
Who wants to stand in line for 20 minutes for other people to run into the gas station buy cookies/doughnuts or whatever come out to ther car fill it up about to pull out when there kid says.... MOM I NEED TO GO TO THE BATHROOM......
Old 07-22-2009, 01:11 PM
larryf333

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

ORIGINAL: larryf333

Who wants to stand in line for 20 minutes for other people to run into the gas station buy cookies/doughnuts or whatever come out to ther car fill it up about to pull out when there kid says.... MOM I NEED TO GO TO THE BATHROOM......

I could understand if it was like that. But it's not, the cheaper gas station is maybe 5 years older and there is never anybody there. They will go to the newer more expensive one, every time. It's nice for me, because I can just run in, grab what I want, and leave. I just don't understand why the more expensive one is so much more appealing. It's a couple hundred feet closer to the interstate, but that's it. I must be outta the loop on this one or something.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

You kind of answered your own question... Its closer... You know how lazy people are.