Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Looking for a new HDTV

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:19 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for a new HDTV

Alright, so we have one 42" Vizio HDTV in the bedroom which is used for pretty much everything, but I want something sexier for the spare living room so I can turn it into my video game and movie lair. What's the deal with LED TVs? I've been out of the loop and don't know what's good or not.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:22 AM
elven wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for a new HDTV

LED's are thin-light and very Eco friendly.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:27 AM
elven wizard

it's 2 25 pm, gonna do some night rcing at the parking lots. Been workin on RC's almost all day-night
Old 10-14-2009, 11:32 AM
qaiz

Look into the new Samsung LED Tv's, extremely good picture, 120Hz, and its unbelievable how thin they are.

Also the new Sony series has amazed me. I just took delivery of their new one XBR9 series. This thing is just insane. I used to be a Samsung guy before, but now with this, Ive turned to Sony.

The picture quality is insane.. Hook up your PS3 to it, throw in a blu ray disc, and you'll be amazed...
Old 10-14-2009, 11:46 AM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

LED TVs are the newest and most environmentally friendly. They have the best picture and are the thinnest so far. But, they are also priced that way.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:14 PM
elven wizard

I've worked on many HDTV lcd's years ago and even now some. I have found Sony's Bravia series /XBR/ are the best most reliable. Best backlight's true 60,000 plus not like the cheaper stuff out there 40,000 hr & under. Sony's Power supply's dont go "pop" like the other so called brands. Best Processing unit too, good boards. Dont be fooled by specs..... lets say Walmart brands, people come to me and say u see you get the same specs as a Sony but wayyyyy cheaper, "almost all" cheaper lcd's not only look grainer and maybe fuzzier and thats a Even Steven on setting's, hooked the same. Problems happen past the 6 month mark if u have a cheapy that still works after a long time of Hr's your lucky. I have seen in store Sony's look not as good as cheaper sets. Have you checked the setting's is it on Vivd mode ? Is it hooked on just coaxial cable. Hooked up right Sony is King ! I've seen earlier model Sony's still workin were let's say Sharp there's a mass amount of refurb out there. Some had replaceable backlight cause the ones in there were didn't last long (cheap quality) What's the point. You pay the price for Sony but you get what you pay for. Just like they say - Sony Quality.

Elven Wizard
Old 10-14-2009, 01:49 PM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

samsung all the way, if it's sexy you want check out thier led's.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Jailbird1818
My Feedback: (5)

I am very happy with my Pioneer Elite plasma.

-JB
Old 10-14-2009, 08:24 PM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: larryf333
LED TVs are the newest and most environmentally friendly. They have the best picture and are the thinnest so far. But, they are also priced that way.
That is not true actually. The pioneer kuro plasmas have been rated the best picture of flat panels for the past what 5 years or so.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:33 PM
secretsg

Samsung 9000 series.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Druss

Best TV picture quality right now is the Pioneer Kuro Elite which has been consistantly rated the best TV for dark levels, picture quality... basically every category for years. The Samsung 8000 series (not too many reviews on the 9000 series yet) has come in second since it was released.

Basically I'd say for a darker room get the Kuro (the Elite is nicer but the standard Kuro is still awesome) and for a light room get the Samsung 8000 series. I have both and don't regret a single penny spent on them.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:00 PM
elven wizard

yup posted at 2:25pm last nite. What's wierd it says 10:27 am on the top. Maybe RCU can explain the wrong time stamp of 10:27 am

Elven Wizard
Old 10-18-2009, 09:42 PM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: larryf333
That is not true actually. The pioneer kuro plasmas have been rated the best picture of flat panels for the past what 5 years or so.

I would go with Mitsubishi's new laservue. uses 1/3 less power of lcds and 1/4 the power of plasmas. not as thin but, you can still mount it on a wall. kind of expensive at the moment but, soon as prices come down it would be more than worth it. or go for a projector if you got the room!!

Check it out http://www.laservuetv.com/
heres a pic of a side by side comparison of it imo outdoing the Kuro. pic is from a review of the two.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94696.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1297837  
Old 10-19-2009, 02:28 PM
blackrain

www.avsforum.com is a great tv and electronic forum tons of info on all tvs
Old 10-19-2009, 04:22 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ever you get make sure you get it soon bcuz the powers that be are trying to put a ban on big screens in California.