Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

I'm sick of cheap-o lawn mowers

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 04:29 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I'm sick of cheap-o lawn mowers

They're a MTD and they're not a high grade mower but they're an ok level one
Yeah its too bad international sold the cub line to MTD in 1989 I think, They where the best lawn tractor up till then, the one the pic above is like 700lbs and can pull cars around like nothing.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Puff The Magic Dragon
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: I-fly-any-and-all

check the carb on it and little buggar in the carb can be a problem. also for tough starting mowers, a little 10% glow fuel dont hurt about 2 ounces.
I use the glow fuel to start my old snapper mower with a briggs and stratton 4hp on it.
problem is they can run on glow fuel alone, but at idel the engine will be taching out and will back fire like crazy.

Thats right, they will run on Glow Fuel. Back in the 70's, in high school, one of the guys brought his Mini-Bike with a Briggs 5hp, to shop class to weld the frame. Well like a bunch of motor heads, we proceeded to modify it. Off came the muffler and on went the bell end of an old Trombone. We filled that sucker up with, Fox Missile Mist Glow fuel (24% Nitro if I remember right) It was a hoot, I believe it was taching about 4 grand and spitting 6 foot blue flames out the Thrombone exaust. It was loud!!!!!!!!!!!! Connecting rod came busting through the crankcase after about 10 minutes. Guess we should have lowered the compression, but what do a bunch of 16 & 17 year olds know about the finer points of burning nitro.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:03 AM
Cashpoboy
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I owned a lawn business for several years and we used commercial hondas.
I gave up my business about 15 years ago but kept one of my mowers.
It still runs as good as the day I bought it. I am sure it will last a lifetime.
The commercial ones are easily 10 times more robust than the home models.
They are built to run all day everyday. A far cry from once a week for the home models. Not even in the same ballpark.
The downside is they are $1000+ for a new one. I think I win if you consider how many new mowers you will need versus me.
Also, I still use the mower for my rent house maintenance too. It will mow over ANYTHING. I rarely bend over to pick up anything including beer cans. It will suck them up too.
The blade clutch will 'give' if I hit anything that would ruin a crank on any other model. I fear nothing with this honda.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:14 AM
lackeyma
My Feedback: (4)

Blame it on ethanol gas, it clogs everything!
Old 07-13-2010, 11:31 AM
twpetry
My Feedback: (5)

HONDA IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

I HAD A LANDSCAPE BUSINESS FOR 18 YEARS. WE HAD HONDA 21" WALK BEHIND BAGGER , HYDROSTAT , IT MOWED 10 YARDS A WEEK FOR ABOUT 15 YEARS, I KEPT IT AFTER I SOLD THE BUSINESS , STILL USE IT FOR MY YARD, STARTS FIRST PULL EVERY TIME EVEN AFTER BEING STORED FOR THE WINTER. ALL I DO IS CHANGE THE OIL ONCE A YEAR. I THINK IT HAS THE ORIGINAL SPARK PLUG , DON'T REMEMBER EVER CHANGING IT
Old 07-13-2010, 12:23 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

But really who's to blame for that?????
As consumers we mostly seem to value price over anything else. It's been lost on most people that spending some extra $$$ up front will mean far less replacement and problems down the road. All WalMart has done is to cater to what "we" seem to want. IMHO, it's our own fault. We want the convience of everything in one place and low cost items. Well, that's what we have gotten and now we get to sleep in that bed - even as it collapses to the floor
AMEN!...It's the same with "Violence" that passes for "Entertainment"....videos, games etc....It's there and available because there is a market for it!....So sad...