Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

I'm sick of cheap-o lawn mowers

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:22 AM
TriggerMike12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I'm sick of cheap-o lawn mowers

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

I have a honda, I cut my grass all summer on less the 2 gallons of gas and I have a large yard.

Must be one of those damn hybrids!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

When I got divorced and found myself starting over with a new household and needing virtually everything, I bought Sears cheapest rear bagger mower, Craftsman cost $159.00. It's been working now for 5 years. My back yard is a lot smaller with my "Man Cave" addition, so it only takes 12 minutes to cut everything. The cheap little mower runs and starts great..!! Who says you need to spend big bucks, Oh that's right, the Honda dealer..!!! But what do I know, I only work for NASA.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:55 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A neighbor across the street gave me a electric mower when he got a sel propelled gas one. At the time I had a Crafstman. When the Crafstman died (after 4 years), I started using the electric mower. The electric mower lasted 9 years. When it finally was not worth for me to fix, I purchased another electric for $210. This was 6 month ago. Let's see how long it lasts. For a small yard, the electric works great since the rest of the yard-toos are electric: hedge trimmer, weed whacker, blower and edger... They start instantly all the time, and are really quiet...

Gerry
Old 07-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Eman77

I've had a Toro GTS push mower for over 10 years now, and it runs just fine. Not the cheapest out there, but it certainly wasn't all that pricey. I'm a big Toro fan now. I was too lazy to have it serviced every year (oil, blade, plug, filter, etc), so I've only done that a few times over 10 years. Still runs like a champ. And my yard isn't exactly small (wish I had a riding mower more than once).

Toro FTW.

GerKonig - I've always wondered how well the electrics did. Is it a mulching mower so you don't have to bag it? How long do the batteries last before a recharge is needed, and how long over the life of the mower before you have to buy a new battery?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:16 AM
justavillain

99.999% of the time it's the owners fault a motor fails. The high-end and the low end mowers all have the same motor. Some of it is the choice. If you go in with a game plan and talk to someone before that knows this stuff then you can get one that lasts.

I have had a Yardman (MTD) for 13 years and mow about 1/4 acher with it every week and it starts on the first pull every time.

my LT has a Yardmachine (MTD) that has been doing the same for 9 years now. Bot with Briggs motors.

Now true there are some mowers with low end motors on them but they still will last 5+ years with proper maintenance.

You said you replaced the plug wire, how did you do that?! you'd have to replace the whole coil and I've never seen a solid state coil go bad. I've been fixing lawnmowers for about 4 years now and hold warranty certs for all the major brands. I'm willing to bet it was poor maintenance.

To make any motor last long do the fallowing, regular oil and filter changes(not every motor has a external filter so just oil changes), drain the gas in the off season, change the plug every year, change the air filter every year/clean it every month with compressed air.

Doing that and you'll get that 100$ mart special running for years. I know I've done it.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:40 AM
lee292
My Feedback: (9)

I once heard Wally World is so big that they can dictate their prices to manufacturers. So, the manufacturer, say MTD, skimps a little here, a little there, to make his mower for Wal-Mart and still turn a profit. Therefore, you get a "B" grade mower. Speaking of MTD, they make a lot of other brands' mowers, for instance, Troy Bilt. I myself have had a couple of Troy Bilts, one with a Briggs and one with a Honda engine, and have had pretty good service out of them. I just purchased a Cub Cadet rider because neither of the Troy Bilts wouldn't go any faster than a rather gentle stroll, and it was taking too much time to mow my big yard. Cut my mowing time in half.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Puff The Magic Dragon
My Feedback: (2)

My front yard is 200" X 700". My Niece comes every 2 weeks, mows, edges, prunes, leaf blows ect. for $50.00. So who need a mower.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:44 AM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Puff The Magic Dragon

My front yard is 200'' X 700''. My Niece comes every 2 weeks, mows, edges, prunes, leaf blows ect. for $50.00. So who need a mower.

Holy crap, I'll maintain your yard for $20. 200"x700" wouldn't take long at all. 16 feet x 58 feet. Do you live in a tent?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:59 AM
lflf
My Feedback: (1)

I have three cheap black and decker electric mowers I bought off of amazon.com. These these things seem to run forever, or at least one is 10 years old and hasn't given me any trouble. I collected the others from rental houses I bought that I supplied a cheap mower with, when I sold the rentals I kept the mowers. I think these mowers were about $149 shipped. Gave up on gas mowers years ago. All electric now. Yes, the cord is a hassle, but less over the long run than getting fresh gas, spark plugs, breakdowns, and all the other things that come with gas powered machines. Gas has its place, but if electric will work I'd recommend it.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Tjettzky

The house I rent came with an old Honda pusher. I looked up the model online so I could read the manual and as far as I can tell it is from 1984. Smoked like crazy but ran fine. I changed the oil, filters and the blade (which may have been the first time that has ever happened) and it doesn't smoke anymore. Besides not being able to adjust the handlebar height, she runs beautifully for a potential 26 year old mower. Neighbor has a brand-new pale-green thing (not a Deere) and it sounds horrible. I sounds like it's going to die every 5 seconds.

I had heard that when it came to buying a mower, if you are pushing get a Honda; if you are riding, get a Deere...
Old 07-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Propa
My Feedback: (4)

I hire the neighborhood kids!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:50 PM
jatoracing33

ORIGINAL: larryf333

ORIGINAL: Puff The Magic Dragon

My front yard is 200'' X 700''. My Niece comes every 2 weeks, mows, edges, prunes, leaf blows ect. for $50.00. So who need a mower.

Holy crap, I'll maintain your yard for $20. 200''x700'' wouldn't take long at all. 16 feet x 58 feet. Do you live in a tent?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:57 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

I was a union member for over 15 years and everything you said could just as easily still apply.
It 100% depends on the contract that is negotiated FOR YOU and the average worker has ZIP for input into those negotiations. And you WILL vote for whatever they lay before you. Sure, you can vote to strike but you better hope that enough others are not terrified of losing their job to vote with you. And if you do, by some odd chance, walk out there will be HUNDREDS of people ready to cross that picket line to take that crappy job away from you for LESS that you were getting.
Oh, and have you ever walked a picket line???? I have and there is NO WAY it's worth the pittance you get from the union.
And if/when you settle it will be for less than you were holding out for and you'll be going back to worse conditions than you had.
And forget trying to get ahead by working hard, won't happen. EVERYTHING is done by seniority. Want a better position? Better hope you have more time in than that lazy, fat slob that has worked there 2 days more than you. Want daay shift? Want vacation? Want ANYTHING? Sure - as long as lazy fat guy does not want it too...

Yeah, you can keep the union. In todays day and time it's far more of a lilability to an intellagent, hard working, ambitious person than a help!!!
agreed. the unions have ups and downs. its great if one's been doing a job for years, but it isnt fair to those who work their butts off and do not advance in their career, this allows lazy people to continue to be lazy and still get huge benefits and are almost "fire" proof (no pun intended)

plus, its because of lazy union workers why our roads on 59 are not fixed. these people who already get $47 to $68 an hour want a 15% pay raise for three years untill they finish work. its put DOZENS of small businesses out. selfishness is a dirty thing.

again, good and bad; protects workers from being taken avantage of, but unfair to the newer workers.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Goldski 2

It dosent matter where the mower is from it matters what compagnie the engine is, i bought a weedeater mower with a briggs 5.5 for 200 canadian. rear bag and everything. it has never broke down or had any problems all i have done is change the oil once per year. and it started on 2 year old gas 2 pulls. if your blade falls off make it tighter du'h or loctite
Old 07-12-2010, 02:17 PM
jatoracing33

Can we all agree that this can be summed up by greed? I could seriously write a 1000 page novel on greed. We all see it every day.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:21 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: lee292

I once heard Wally World is so big that they can dictate their prices to manufacturers. So, the manufacturer, say MTD, skimps a little here, a little there, to make his mower for Wal-Mart and still turn a profit. Therefore, you get a ''B'' grade mower. Speaking of MTD, they make a lot of other brands' mowers, for instance, Troy Bilt. I myself have had a couple of Troy Bilts, one with a Briggs and one with a Honda engine, and have had pretty good service out of them. I just purchased a Cub Cadet rider because neither of the Troy Bilts wouldn't go any faster than a rather gentle stroll, and it was taking too much time to mow my big yard. Cut my mowing time in half.
That is true about WW dictating prices. I live about 10 minutes from the main Snapper factory and, at one time, they were talking with WW about selling their mowers. Snapper finally told them to take-a-hike because WW was demanding a specific price point and Snapper could not do that w/o lowering quality, which they refused to do.
I used to use a snapper daily when I was doing yard work and they held up very well to what could only be described as gross abuse.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

My father has a cub cadet... That thing is awesome. All sorts of attachments.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:42 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

People actually go to Wal Mart to buy tools?

People actually think that unionizing Wal Mart would put an end to the poor wages and their treatment of employees?

BRB, rereading 1984.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:40 PM
SAVAGEJIM

The only way we can stop wage depression that Wallyworld is doing is to stop shopping at those damn stores. Stores that contribute to wage depression are stores that sell sorry imported stuff instead of things made in the US.

If we give American companies a chance, not only will they give people jobs and put more of the unemployed back to work, but they will also work hard to put qulity products. Of course, the few that want to continue to dump sorry products, even American guys who do that, we as consumers need to boycot those. We as consumers need to demand quality products.

I learned a hard lesson from my Wallyworld mower from Weedeater: Stores like wallyworld will continue to depress product quality, depress wages and benefits, and so forth as long as we buy crap from them.

I am upset at Weedeater for bending to reduced quality just to fit into wallyworld's price scheme and poor product market dumping. I remember as a child Weedeater commercial when Weedeater was probably a decent product. But my Weedeater wallyworld mower has shattered any hope of me ever trying their product again, at least as long as they remain affiliated with wallyworld.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Lman

I own a Honda buy the best and cry only once...[&:]
Old 07-12-2010, 07:45 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Lman

Should've bought a 30 year old Cub Cadet It'll last longer
Old 07-12-2010, 07:49 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Cub Cadet, is that an industry grade mower?
Nice mowers, they cost as much as a John Deere riding tractor mower, but they have the benefit of zero-turn

http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=14101
Old 07-12-2010, 07:53 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Lman

Should've bought a 30 year old Cub Cadet It'll last longer
my dad has three of them a 69, 74 and a brand new one.

This is the 74 (same year i was born)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75284.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1467022  
Old 07-12-2010, 10:13 PM
I-fly-any-and-all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check the carb on it and little buggar in the carb can be a problem. also for tough starting mowers, a little 10% glow fuel dont hurt about 2 ounces.
I use the glow fuel to start my old snapper mower with a briggs and stratton 4hp on it.
problem is they can run on glow fuel alone, but at idel the engine will be taching out and will back fire like crazy.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:25 PM
justavillain

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Cub Cadet, is that an industry grade mower?
Nice mowers, they cost as much as a John Deere riding tractor mower, but they have the benefit of zero-turn

http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=14101
They're a MTDand they're not a high grade mower but they're an ok level one.

If you're looking for a riding mower look at the Toro line. They're all good except their low level rider that is made by MTD and is the same as the JD, Toro, Cub, Crafsman and a few others. If you want to get one and not go back, Ihave to say the Toro Titian line is the best mower I've ever used. They have a welded deck not a bent one like 90% of them out there.

When Ipriced them the 52" z-turn with a Briggs motor on it was 3800. I went with the 60" z-turn with the Kawi for 5700. They're crazy good mowers and I don't see this going down any time soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.