RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/)
-   -   Dinner time (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/off-topic-forum-cars-trucks-buggies-more-392/10735733-dinner-time.html)

tommygun32 12-12-2011 11:25 PM

RE: Dinner time

That just sounds wrong Sheo....:D (thanks mate, I just LOL'd, I needed that)

ORIGINAL: sheograth
(and met some really shady seamen) for cheap.

tommygun32 12-13-2011 07:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Let the Cinci 5 way cooking commence...:D

I noticed everyone saying previously for the Dogs..."Lots of hot sauce". Is this a chili that's more on the sweet/mild side?

sheograth 12-13-2011 11:18 AM

lol I know. I thought about editing it actually. What I mean is, get fish and chips for cheap, and meet some shady seamen.

There's something whimsical about that whole lifestyle and history. The cold, the creaking ships, the salt air, the food, the atmosphere. I love hanging out down there and even reading historical novels from that time period. San Francisco has a really great maritime history. I also like building model ships, which is totally dorky but it's really fun. I like the wooden tall ship models, not the plastic ones.

There is this one company out of Palo Alto here on the peninsula called Steel Chapman, and Hutchinson who makes giant very scale RC wooden model ships. Like 10 footlong tall ships and things. They're nearly $20,000 but I'd love to own one someday, they're museum quality display pieces with extreme multi channel RC control. There's a lot of assembly left to do by the user, like a year long project.

http://www.modelsailingships.com/ships/hms.html

Hull weight is 47 pounds

This is one of their smaller models.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13..._phil_cart.jpg

frets24 12-13-2011 06:06 PM

WooHoo!!:D Can't really describe the taste...you'll just have to experience it for yourself.

Personally, I don't care much for the coneys; Much preffer the three-way or 4-way(onion). The Kidney beans make it too much like tex-mex chili for me although our bass player used to double up on the beans and wouldn't have it any other way. To each their own!:D

Love the tall ships Sheo. Nice link, thanks.:) What's a year when you get something like that at the end of your effort? That's almost like every scale plane I build. Start the research in August and the prebuild assembly of materials and planning in early Nov with a slight bit of building, full on after Christmas and maiden sometime in July or August...cheaper than therapy and a heck of a lot more fun!!

tommygun32 12-14-2011 01:50 AM

I know what you mean Sheo. Growing up in San Diego I spent a great deal of time down at the docks. Used to work the party fishing boats as a deckhand. Started by 'pin-heading', basically getting a free day of fishing in and help scrub the boat down and help the other fishermen when they needed it. Progressed up to the multi-day long range boats from there.

Nothing dorky about liking what you like mate. I spent about a year building a 3 foot long plastic model of the Independence with real cloth sales, rigging, airbrushed effects, etc. Gave it to my parents on their wedding anniversary 'cause they loved sailing as well.

Tried my hand at a wooden model once but I bit off more than I could chew at the time. I realize now you need to start small until you perfect more skills.

tommygun32 12-14-2011 07:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What's going on with this website???

Anyway...Cinci 4 way!!! This stuff Rocks!!

Oyster crackers are not available out here, so I've skipped it. I'm also not a big kidney bean fan, so I opted for the optional pinto beans. My son is now hooked.

Thanks Frets.

frets24 12-16-2011 04:41 PM

Really glad you like and that we(you know...the Royal/collective WE) have been able to win a new convert. :D:D:D

I get mine here, though at times you can find super deals on amazon.com.

http://www.cincinnatirecipechili.com/

sheograth 12-16-2011 05:28 PM

Mmm I think I'll get chinese takeout tonight.

butt_housed247 12-16-2011 06:24 PM

on my way home from finishing up my christmas shopping i stopped off at a place called Rezzini's Pizzeria in long beach.  got take out.  came home with lasagna and a salad.  it was pretty good.  im going to have to hit that place up again.  they had a meatball sub that looked good

tommygun32 12-16-2011 11:57 PM

I'll be honest frets, I was a bit worried about the cinamon, the chili on its own features quite a dominant flavor of it, but with the addition of the beans, chesse and especially the chopped onion helps to mellow it quite a bit.

And you were right, it's a flavor hard to explain; you just got'ta try it. ;)

Sheo, what Chinese are looking to get?

tommygun32 12-17-2011 12:05 AM

OK frets, I've been on the website. What is Goetta??[&:]

frets24 12-17-2011 09:24 AM

Goetta (Ge'da) is "Cincinnati Caviar".
It's a pork based, sometimes 50/50 pork/beef, sausage that has A LOT of oats in it. The major seasonings taste of rosemary, thyme and pepper. It tends to be somewhat "bready" due to the oats and was probably of German origin in the area. The high grain content was probably an effort to extend the meat for those on a lower income, though now it is popular across the board. The oats are quite coarse so you really notice the oat content unlike in other sausage that may have grain flour in it to extend or solidify. Pan fried like any sausage and it's good with honey, apple butter(fave) or grapejelly as well as ketchup or mustard(another fave). Used to be just for breakfast but was getting to be common for burgers and hotdogs when we moved out of the area. Someone said that over a million pounds of the stuff was consumed in the Cincy and Tri-State area annually....I was abit incredulous but Snopes confirmed it as well as the Glier(major producer) website a couple years back.

"Outback Steakhouse" with the family last night. 20oz porterhouse, rare and bloody, for me. 2 Newcastle Brown Ales, a jacket potato and a skewer of grilled shrimp with a Caesar salad to round it out....Tasty!!:D

FahrtAutoRC 12-17-2011 09:43 AM

I am jealous! VERY! I love Joe's but they closed down the only one close by a few years back and opened a Chik Filet or whatever it is in its place!

tommygun32 12-17-2011 12:51 PM

That seriously SUX Fahrt, I am disgusted and disapointed....[:@][:o]

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

I am jealous! VERY! I love Joe's but they closed down the only one close by a few years back and opened a Chik Filet or whatever it is in its place!

sheograth 12-17-2011 01:23 PM

Pizza

sheograth 12-17-2011 01:28 PM

It's not delivery, it's DiGiorno.

FahrtAutoRC 12-17-2011 01:59 PM

The blue sigs are back. Hmmm.

Looks like tonight we will be making our own real chicken strips, mashed potatoes and gravy, and probably a few more items, not sure yet. Oh, and of course, my own barbeque sauce.

DustBen 12-17-2011 03:25 PM

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

I still say bring on the appetite suppressant alien injection lol
I'm always afraid when I read messages without punctuation and include "lol" to suggest something might be funny.

The plague began when malls were built, and then cell phones with texting came along.
It was inevitible that little girls walking around mall would adopt a style.

Thankfully, most grow out of it and begin communicating as adults, to adults.

FahrtAutoRC 12-17-2011 06:56 PM

Anybody ever have white hominy? What is it? What does it taste like? Etc.

frets24 12-17-2011 07:15 PM

ORIGINAL: sheograth

It's not delivery, it's DiGiorno.
Haven't you heard?! DiGiorno is BETTER than delivery:D

Tonight's fare was Fresh flounder that we speared in the flats at my aunt and uncle's place in Wilmington, NC yesterday. Some corn on the cob and garlic bread on the side.

FahrtAutoRC,
White hominy is a southern staple...tastes like really big grits. Lots of butter, some salt and pepper and it's great as a meal unto itself. It's basically large white corn kernals dried, shelled and then rehydrated. Throw some in a pot with a dash of cumin and some diced pork, boil it up and call it Pazole' (TexMex pork and starch soup).

FahrtAutoRC 12-17-2011 09:31 PM

Ok cool thanks! I like grits, may have to try hominy. I heard fry it bacon grease, but when half your moms side of the family is from West Virginia, bacon grease seems to be a staple!

tommygun32 12-18-2011 02:29 AM

Everyone knows bacon grease is a food group all it's own. :D

frets24 12-18-2011 06:22 AM

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Everyone knows bacon grease is a food group all it's own. :D
Absolutely!!!

That and butter....We keep a cup/tin of bacon drippings around all the time. great seasoning...just a small dollup in the bottom of the cast iron skillet and the fried eggs don't stick and have a bit of added flavor in one step:D

tommygun32 12-18-2011 08:03 AM

ORIGINAL: frets24
''Outback Steakhouse'' with the family last night. 20oz porterhouse, rare and bloody, for me. 2 Newcastle Brown Ales, a jacket potato and a skewer of grilled shrimp with a Caesar salad to round it out....Tasty!!:D
Dude!!

We have Outback Steakhouses out here as well. It's not quite the same though.

This reminds me of a restaurant in San Diego called "The Butcher Shop". The story goes that there was an East Coast mobster that decided to quit the family and go 'legit'. He moved to Southern Cali and opened "The Butcher Shop". It's shaped like a classic white sided, red roofed barn and on the side of the roof in massive 10' letters is written "THE BEST PRIME RIB, EVER!" (that's a big statement to make in my book:eek:)

Anyway, first time I went there was with my dad when I met him to introduce my wife to him and have a long catch up chat.

They have 4 sizes of prime rib cuts (bone in), I don't remember the wheights of them except one. Sizes were called Cowgirl, Cowboy, Cowgirl Special and Cowboy Special. My dad ordered the Cowboy Special....76 oz of medium rare bovine flesh. I watched him start from one end of that slab of beef and work his way through until he hit the other end of it.[X(] It came with salad, Texas garlic toast, baked potato and brocoli. He's was a retired US Navy career XO and always said, eat when you can, 'cause you never know when the next opportunity may arise.

I had the Cowboy size and didn't come anywhere close to finishing it. But I'll tell you what, I was able to make about 4 more meals from the left-overs my wife and I took with us. :D And yes, their slogan lived up to it's bragging statement. I literally was able to cut the steak with a spoon, push the piece of beef against the roof of my mouth with my tongue and it would disintigrate.

OK, I'm homesick again. [&o]

jessiej 12-18-2011 09:26 AM

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

dinner and eating to me is annoying we only eat to fill our body up with its needs and then its all pooped out lol , can't wait till there is an alien invention that injects us with all the nutrients we need for about six months lol and never worry about eating again like those aliens in star trek
How terribly sad[&o]