Community
Search
Notices
OMP - Ohio Model Products Support Forum Discuss products and get support from OMP. This forum is operated by the owners of OMP and your support questions or complaints will be handled as OMP deems appropriate.

Trouble with Snaps?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 06:48 PM
matus777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with Snaps?

Just curious, is anyone else having trouble with snaprolls either positive or negative and it does not seem to matter which plane is used? The problem I am having is that the snap ends up with the plane in a zero energy state and nose up in a vertical attitude?

I have even tried unloading the snaps with marginally better results but still not right?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:48 PM
matus777

Default RE: Trouble with Snaps?

To be more correct I should have said that almost every snap results in a WALL...pretty cool but not exactly what I have in mind as an end result.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:46 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Ah young grasshopper, you are experiencing exactly what every new funflier experiences once given a high performance profile! Let me guess, you are shooving the sticks into the corners to do a snap roll aren't you. STOP THAT bro. The amount of control surfcace we have on these profiles these days gives you so much authority that given full snap roll deflection, you will execute what is called a "3d snap" and the plane will usually end up in a wall. To do regular snap rolls with a profile you need to reduce the stick input a lot on your rudder and elevator sides. I still like to use full ailerons as this makes the snaps really quick. I do all my snaps now with zero elevator, only aileron and rudder and this gives me a nice predictable snap that stays on course for the most part.

Class dismissed!
Old 12-02-2004, 07:56 AM
Spacey

Mike why!!!!! You're telling us we should stop shoving sticks in corners!!! What is this world coming to? Crazy I tell ya! Crazy!

But yes what Mike said is actually true. To get a clean snap out I also use only ailerons and rudder. Sometime a little elevator to just define upright or inverted. But mostly just rudder and aileron.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:19 PM
matus777

Thanks for the info guys....I do not fly profiles but i'll go back and experiment however what I was trying to accomplish and understand is why the simulation does not transfer more closely to the real thing? It seems like 95% of the sim does very well except with snaps.

I mostly fly CAPS and none of them react they way they do here on AFP when snapping. It seems that all the planes i tried react the same way and if you tehnique around the snaps to get them to work correctly here on AFP then when you go to the field you have a negative transfer of "skill sets"? Profiles excluded, I was expecting the sim to more closely emulate the real world....it does everything else so well........and you guys are correct, i have been throwing the sticks to the limits....LOL! Ok, i'll try the kinder, more gentle way...thanks again!

Perhaps I need to get into the advanced menu and fool around with rates and expo a bit? I seem to recall that even with low rates the snaps were not what i expected but after recess I'll report back.....thanks again!
Old 12-02-2004, 12:25 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could snap on low rates set at less than half the 3D throws, but you need to have dual rates on your radio. Good luck !
Old 12-02-2004, 12:46 PM
matus777

OK, I have dual rates and tried some profile ships and have had mixed results. Some planes "snap" painfully slow and others do what I would not really call a snap. Maybe i'm being too fussy or maybe I just have a learning curve ahead? I enjoy the sim but I'm fairly new to it as well.

I own the H9 CAP in the real world (33%er) but have had less than good success trying to snap the one in AFP. It just seems to come to a stop when I snap it like the one I own? It's a bit frustrating when you try and snap it combined with some rolling manuvers as it brings the process to an almost, halt! I'll keep tweaking...thanks for the help guys...sometimes it just takes me longer than most!
Old 12-02-2004, 07:02 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try entering the snap by kicking in rudder first followed by elevator and aileron. Netralize the rudder at the last 1/4 point, followed by aileron and elevator at the last 1/8 point. This will prevent overshooting (as in your case) and minimise heading loss
Old 12-03-2004, 08:50 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

The larger planes in AFP snap very well but you have to flying the right model and not one that was tricked out for rediculous 3d. The roland matt Extra 330 is damn realistic when it comes to flying snaps and all the IMAC stuff. That's the plane I use to practice IMAC style flying. The AFP Cap 232 snaps way too deep and ends up in a wall but again this is due to the balance and the amount of throw built into the plane. All these can be edited to give you a softer pattern style flying CAP.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:20 PM
matus777

OK....all thanks for the tips. The Matt Extra flys and snaps like a plane should and the rest of the physics are thumbs up as well. I thought I was having a route discontnuity in the grey matter for awhile there.....now i'm back to my usual dirt bustin self!

So, going forward, some of the 3D tricked out ships need to be tweaked or detuned to match the real word more closely....and usually this can be done in the advanced setup or your own TX? I did notice that the wing loading on some of these machines is really low....I have not flown anything with wing loading as light as some of these planes but boy it would be nice to have something in that range. Again...my thanks.