Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 Stryker Part 9: Crazy DARK SIDE - Beginners to Dark Extremes

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 Stryker Part 9: Crazy DARK SIDE - Beginners to Dark Extremes

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:21 AM
murdnunoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 Stryker Part 9: Crazy DARK SIDE - Beginners to Dark Extremes

Rim,
If you've already talked to Gryphon or Mopar and they matched your intentions up with the 1.5SCE, take this with a grain of salt.

But I did fly the 1.5SCE for a few flights on the Stryker, and from those flights, it is apparent that this is not a 6S motor if your end goal is speeds in the 150's+.

Mopar was dead on with the problems finding a motor that will work with 3S through 6S. To run the 1.5SCE on 6S will mean running a mid-pitch 6.5" diameter pylon prop, which just doesn't quite cut it above the 140-145mph range.

If you plan on running 5S as your max on this motor, it's the ticket. Or if you plan on 6S with the expectation that you'll have to run small props and maybe not get the full speed out of the motor, it's also the ticket. The motor will meet your desire to run 3S through 5S efficiently, and 6S with small props and not quite as efficiently (but very loudly! )

The 16/40/2CE would be a perfect match to run top speed on a Stryker with 7" props on 6S.

Again, if you've been matched up with this motor by either of our resident power gurus, I'd lean toward their counsel. I'm just offering more thought to confuse things!
Old 09-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Arcteryxxx

Hi!
Did some runs with my old and bent Stryker today with the MEGA 16/25/2EC, CC ICE100, Zippy 4S400 40C and APC7*5Sport.

Here are some passes... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC08w68JFOA

Lord Murdo: Could you please do me a favor and run this through your doppler analyzer? The air temp was about 10C / 50F and no wind
Old 09-29-2010, 03:37 PM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: murdnunoc
To run the 1.5SCE on 6S will mean running a mid-pitch 6.5'' diameter pylon prop, which just doesn't quite cut it above the 140-145mph range.

The 16/40/2CE would be a perfect match to run top speed on a Stryker with 7'' props on 6S.
At 150 mph on a 6.5x6.5 prop, I was running 175 mph pitch speed at close to 2000 watts
I have run 150 mph on about 1500 watts with 7.4 and 8 inch props.
IMHO;
a 6.5 inch prop is just an inefficient stop gap, a tempory measure for more speeds than a 6 inch prop, they will go faster than a 6 inch prop on our Strykers, but anyone trying for speeds over 120 mph should start with 7 inch props at minimum, as the 6.5 inch props start really wasting power above 120-125 mph

Rim,
I will be testing my 40/2ce in the very near future. If you really want to run 6 cells, let me know and I will try to move my timetable forward at a more rapid pace.

One more thing....................time to Avenge some failures
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Md52987.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1508520  
Old 09-29-2010, 08:27 PM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: Arcteryxxx

Hi!
Did some runs with my old and bent Stryker today with the MEGA 16/25/2EC, CC ICE100, Zippy 4S400 40C and APC7*5Sport.

Here are some passes... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC08w68JFOA

Lord Murdo: Could you please do me a favor and run this through your doppler analyzer? The air temp was about 10C / 50F and no wind
NICE !!!!!!!!
And only on a 4s400 eh ???

Name:	Sd43666.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1508671  
Old 09-29-2010, 09:38 PM
gotboostedvr6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

murdo,

Maybe just maybe ill build up the Stryker airframe i have sitting in the basement.

It may have to wait for my winter break in December but it will get done, eventually.

It will have a brick on the back but this brick will have been made in the Czech Republic lol.

-
Dave
Old 09-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Rimripper

ORIGINAL: moparmyway

To run the 1.5SCE on 6S will mean running a mid-pitch 6.5'' diameter pylon prop, which just doesn't quite cut it above the 140-145mph range.

The 16/40/2CE would be a perfect match to run top speed on a Stryker with 7'' props on 6S.
At 150 mph on a 6.5x6.5 prop, I was running 175 mph pitch speed at close to 2000 watts
I have run 150 mph on about 1500 watts with 7.4 and 8 inch props.
IMHO;
a 6.5 inch prop is just an inefficient stop gap, a tempory measure for more speeds than a 6 inch prop, they will go faster than a 6 inch prop on our Strykers, but anyone trying for speeds over 120 mph should start with 7 inch props at minimum, as the 6.5 inch props start really wasting power above 120-125 mph

Rim,
I will be testing my 40/2ce in the very near future. If you really want to run 6 cells, let me know and I will try to move my timetable forward at a more rapid pace.
Hey Mopar I think Iam leaning toward the 16/40/2ce It will be easier for batts and hopefully get some good use out of it,No need to push your scheduale ahead for me but I sure would like to know some of the prop selection you went with,and how the motor handeled the abuse Im sure your going to but it through in the good fasion of course!Did you fly the stryker in the photo today?what is that set-up in there?
Greg.

One more thing....................time to Avenge some failures
Old 09-29-2010, 10:02 PM
Rimripper

Hey guys I am just wondering what the prefferd discharge rate for lipo's is when running the mega beasts,is it best to run the highest discharge a guy can get his hands on?Also my LHS sells (they're brand)Great Hobbies lipo's,which I already have a few of, they are reasonably priced,but they can be charged at 3-5c of they're capacity.Is there any other lipo's that you guys have seen out there like this?it makes for lots of flying if you have 3 lipo's by the time your ready to start at the first battery agin its already charged and balanced.What is your preffered choice in lipo's
Old 09-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Arcteryxxx

NICE !!!!!!!!
Missed a 0...sorry. 0 is worth nothing anyway... No. it should be 4S4000 40C, but I think you figured that one out.

Thanks a lot for the doppler - my guess was 115 so I'm getting close.
Which pass did you measure? I'll try to find the CC data from the exact pass to see how rpm and stuff line up....

Old 09-30-2010, 02:38 AM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: Rimripper
Hey Mopar, I think I am leaning toward the 16/40/2ce. It will be easier for batts and hopefully get some good use out of it. No need to push your scheduale ahead for me but I sure would like to know some of the prop selection you went with,and how the motor handeled the abuse Im sure your going to put it through, in good fasion of course! Did you fly the stryker in the photo today?
Greg.
OK, I will swap over to the 40/2 turn real soon on Popcorn. I just have to get 2 or 3 more flights in on a different setup (16/35/2).
That Stryker in the picture looks like it will get maidened on Sunday with Peter M snickering to his wife while I try to throw it up (hand launch) with batteries that weigh about 2 pounds. [sm=omg_smile.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=tongue_smile.gif]

AUW is .........................

Name:	Ul79766.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1508752  
Old 09-30-2010, 02:43 AM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: Arcteryxxx

NICE !!!!!!!!
Missed a 0...sorry. 0 is worth nothing anyway... No. it should be 4S4000 40C, but I think you figured that one out[img][/img].

Thanks a lot for the doppler - my guess was 115 so I'm getting close.
Which pass did you measure? I'll try to find the CC data from the exact pass to see how rpm and stuff line up....

I had to get that in there [:-]
Pass was the first one
How close is that RPM ?
Those were some real good passes, the lines came in crystal clear towards the front of the shift picture, but the rear lines fuzzed out a little early, can you get closer to the camera ???
Old 09-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Arcteryxxx

can you get closer to the camera ???
Ehm......no. Not with that one anyway. Actually the flight in the video was the last one that Stryker will ever make.
About 15 secs after the end of the video I lost control of it as it was coming out of a dive and it went nose first into the field at some 80mph in a kind of a vertical roll.
Totally beyond repair but the MEGA, the CC Ice, the servos and the RX tested ok afterwards. Only hardware lost was the stryker itself and the Zippy 4S4000 which looked like an accordion after the crash.
Investigation is inconclusive but I have three probable causes:

a) One of the verticals came loose
b) Jamming of one of the servos (found some grains of wheat in the servo well which must have been there since i landed in the field before harvest some weeks ago)
c) Brownout (was using an AR500 with my DX6i but the distance was not more than 200 meters)

So now the plans for building another Stryker will be executed immediately after finishing the Sleipner....

Name:	db85096.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	3.77 MB
ID:	1508807  
Old 09-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Rimripper

Just wondering what method you guys are using to hold down the ice 100?right know I musing some good velcrow to hold into the frame with the heat sink sitting up in the airflow.Is there a different method that you use?
Old 09-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Arcteryxxx

Just wondering what method you guys are using to hold down the ice 100?right know I musing some good velcrow to hold into the frame with the heat sink sitting up in the airflow.Is there a different method that you use?
Some use hot glue and I will too...

Old 09-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Rimripper

YA hot glue sounds pretty good it would come easily when you want to move it on to its next home.Did you have that stryker lightly glassed,the one from the video?
Old 09-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Arcteryxxx

Did you have that stryker lightly glassed,the one from the video?
Glassed TE (one inch top and bottom - no wood), glassed stock elevons and the battery bay was glassed on the outside since I had carved it to fit a 4S5000.
No glassing elsewhere and only 5mm CF tubing as a replacement for the stock rods and a 3mm tip to tip.

But: I did have the customRCparts.com mount and that saved the motor from being ejected and buried into the soil!!!! (Forever grateful, Gary!)

Old 09-30-2010, 06:12 PM
moparmyway

OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry about that crash !!
I bet that those stock (glassed) elevons failed. At 115 mph, I am very surprised that they held up for those few passes.

I hope the next build will be bass trailing edges and 1.5" balsa elevons !!
Old 09-30-2010, 06:14 PM
moparmyway

I use hot glue, if you look carefully you will see that I place the glue on the sides of the modified plastic cover that goes over the capacitors, and spread the glue onto the foam walls of the electronics bay

Name:	Xr46973.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1508993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Du19769.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1508994  
Old 09-30-2010, 07:02 PM
Rimripper

Hey Mopar,Did you cut down the leads on your esc?they look really,really short.I thought it was not advised to shorten leads on esc units?Also do you plug the electronics into the reciever under the foam?your intalation is very clean looking!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:10 PM
moparmyway

Hey Mopar,Did you cut down the leads on your esc?they look really,really short.I thought it was not advised to shorten leads on esc units?Also do you plug the electronics into the reciever under the foam?your intalation is very clean looking!
I shorten everything as much as I can.
I believe it is NOT advised to lengthen the leads on the ESC, it is NOT advised to shorten the leads on a motor (unless you really know what you are doing with enamel coated wire)

Everything goes under foam or tape for streamlining purposes. Need super slickness for MAX speeds !!!
more pics

Name:	Sd43506.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1509006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo88754.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1509007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn85889.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1509008  
Old 09-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Rimripper

Wow that thing is so sleek looking!what would be a good size bec to get?I currently do not have one installed but it would probly be a good investment I guess,do you run a  seperate bat. for your r/x?or just run it off the main cells?is that stryker glassed or a thin coat of epoxy?Taht thing just looks fast Keep us posted on the speed that puppy makes!!
Greg.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:44 PM
murdnunoc

Mopar,
Those are some LOOONG, skinny cells!

Sounds like the Stryker community has an eventful weekend coming up. I know two Darksiders have heavy and very special maidens coming, and I have some new gas tanks to hopefully let me do something significant on the speedometer!

Let's hope we all get up, go fast, and come down safe!

Name:	Li21139.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	1509072  
Old 09-30-2010, 09:55 PM
murdnunoc

Arcteryxxx,
Really, really sorry to see your crash. These things happen as we go faster and faster. There's always a weak link somewhere in the system, and we juggle equipment to minimize it, but sometimes something goes south that we were hoping would hang on.

Good to have another build underway while the previous one is still flying, like you do. Bigger, better, faster!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:36 PM
murdnunoc

Lite Twin Build:

Sorry I haven’t posted much on my twin build the last couple of days. There’s been progress, but not the time to post on it!

I found a great use for the stock fiberglass leading edge spars. I cut one in half and drilled it into the area around the battery bay to strengthen this area. For me, a lite, fun Stryker always gets flown aggressively, and this leads to the inevitable splats. The nose and battery bay area take a beating from this, so the fiberglass rods should give some support. They’re also more flexy than carbon, so the idea is to make the nose very stout, but a little bouncy.

To bury a rod in the center of a foam area, just chuck it up in a drill and spin it so it tunnels its way where you want. Aim carefully. Sometimes you can shine a bright flashlight through the foam and see the location of the rod so you can make any adjustments to the tunneling angle. I centered mine in the wing vertically, and pointed them to form a "V" shape from the top, with the back tips of the rods being farther apart than the front tips.

Get the rod wet, smear it with Gorilla glue and jam it in.

Name:	Fd92666.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1509093  
Old 09-30-2010, 10:48 PM
murdnunoc

Lite Twin Build:

Time to get some motors on this sucker!

Because of the sweep of the trailing edge, motors mounted outboard of the aircraft centerline end up farther aft than a center mounted motor. The two small motors I’m running weigh about what a 480 size motor weighs, so I want to get them as far forward as a stock motor would mount for CG purposes.
This required a cutout in the trailing edge, which I framed with a cap of balsa.

I whipped up a couple of light duty motor mounts from some aluminum angle stock. They have four mounting holes for sheet metal screws, which anchor into hardwood dowels glued into the wing foam. Hope it holds!
A nice alternative would have been a couple of outrunner stick mounts buried in the foam, but the LHS is far away!

Name:	da83417.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	1509100   Click image for larger version

Name:	zu66503.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	1509101   Click image for larger version

Name:	di99980.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	1509102   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb80207.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	1509103   Click image for larger version

Name:	pa33078.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	1509104  
Old 10-01-2010, 03:14 AM
moparmyway

Mopar,
Those are some LOOONG, skinny cells!

Sounds like the Stryker community has an eventful weekend coming up. I know two Darksiders have heavy and very special maidens coming, and I have some new gas tanks to hopefully let me do something significant on the speedometer!

Let's hope we all get up, go fast, and come down safe!
Murdo,
GREAT to see how you worked out 8 cells !!!
My battery setup is 53mm wide, and JUST 6 cells []
Lets hope you break that speed record that stands at 185 now.
I really wish you and Gryphon lived closer to NY !!
I just remembered, the picture you posted, arent your air brakes cut/modified ?

The twin build is looking stellar, in its ideas and the way you have overcome "twin build" obstacles. I am very curious to see how you install verticals and where they are placed. I will be waiting with baited (and bad [:-] ) breath !!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.