Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 Stryker Part 9: Crazy DARK SIDE - Beginners to Dark Extremes

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 Stryker Part 9: Crazy DARK SIDE - Beginners to Dark Extremes

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 03:18 AM
moparmyway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 Stryker Part 9: Crazy DARK SIDE - Beginners to Dark Extremes

ORIGINAL: Rimripper

Wow that thing is so sleek looking!what would be a good size bec to get?I currently do not have one installed but it would probly be a good investment I guess,do you run a seperate bat. for your r/x?or just run it off the main cells?is that stryker glassed or a thin coat of epoxy?Taht thing just looks fast Keep us posted on the speed that puppy makes!!
Greg.
I use the Castle 5 amp BEC (NOT the Pro BEC)
I use a 460mAh or a 740mAh 3 cell as seperate power for my BEC
Glassed with a few layers of glass/epoxy in critical areas
Old 10-01-2010, 06:47 AM
Rimripper

Thanks for that info Mopar,the twin build is looking good Murdo!Boy the weather is closing in on us up here in the north,I hope my motor will come quickly so I can at least run it a few times in my orange stryker for a couple doppler passes,then that should give me something to work towards when Im building my new stryker up.Horay for friday and I hope some darksiders can scream through the air!!
Old 10-01-2010, 06:49 AM
Arcteryxxx

ORIGINAL: moparmyway

OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry about that crash !!
I bet that those stock (glassed) elevons failed. At 115 mph, I am very surprised that they held up for those few passes.

I hope the next build will be bass trailing edges and 1.5" balsa elevons !!
The elevons don't seem to be the problem. Strange, maybe, but nevertheless... Even survived the crash

But there will only be 40mm balsa elevons, DuBro hinges (the big ones) and 1cm*1cm pinewood TE (Not familiar with "Bass"....) from now on....

Old 10-01-2010, 08:08 AM
murdnunoc

Murdo,
GREAT to see how you worked out 8 cells !!!
My battery setup is 53mm wide, and JUST 6 cells []
Lets hope you break that speed record that stands at 185 now.
I really wish you and Gryphon lived closer to NY !!
I just remembered, the picture you posted, arent your air brakes cut/modified ?

The twin build is looking stellar, in its ideas and the way you have overcome ''twin build'' obstacles. I am very curious to see how you install verticals and where they are placed. I will be waiting with baited (and bad [:-] ) breath !!!!!
My 8S fits in just like your 6S does. Little shorter, even. They're 54mm wide, and a shoehorn fit(especially when the poor things swell up after a flight! LOL!), so we probably cut just about the same size slot.
The new 6S 4000 45C are very thin (46mm), so width is no problem at all. They are very tall when stood on edge, though, so I may have to deepen my battery bay if I can do it without running into carbon.

I did shave down the front part of my airbrakes. Left as much as I could for electronics bay wall support.

I think the twin will wind up with wingtip fins like some other flying wing designs. They're super easy, as you just slap them on with some hot glue! I think a single center vertical would be cool, too, though. I may just play around with both and see which one I like better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mj24573.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	1509222  
Old 10-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Arcteryxxx

Pass was the first one
How close is that RPM ?
Mopar: The RPM of the ICE log of that spesific pass showed an rpm difference of only 50 rpm (less on the ICE).

Here's the graph

Name:	Ig13248.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1509466  
Old 10-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Arcteryxxx

Designing custom verticals

Here's the design of the verticals on my latest build.
I made them in a shape I thought was agressive and cool and painted them to fit the rest of the paint scheme.
I made the bottom like skids and the material used is 4mm ply painted with epoxy.
I really don't know how this design will work out when it comes to stability and authority, and any feedback on this will be much appreciated...

Name:	Qo39549.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1509475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55711.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1509476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53391.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1509477  
Old 10-01-2010, 05:13 PM
murdnunoc

Arc,
I like the design of your verticals. Nice and low, which will help with drag. You also extended them to the rear, which gives the fin more authority (farther from the CG acts like a longer lever).

I like the 4mm ply, too. That's a tough size to get here in the U.S. I've made verticals before out of 1/8" (3mm) and they took on a warp after some time, even though they were coated with epoxy. Hopefully the little extra thickness of yours will be enough to stay straight.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:25 PM
murdnunoc

Arc,
I just noticed something about your control linkages.

The clevis pin needs to be located directly over the hinge line.
With the pivot point set back from the hinge line like yours is, there is less mechanical advantage for the linkage setup to move the elevon.

Do you have some longer clevis adapters to screw onto your heavy duty control horns?

Name:	Db86301.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1509559  
Old 10-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Arcteryxxx

I do have the DuBro horns you have in your picture and I tried to fit them a couple of hours ago. What I don't have is an umbraco set of imperial standards.... Damn Metric/Imp difficulties!!!!!!!
The ones i use are the little brother of the ones in your picture. M3 screw some 10mm longer than the ones you have in your pic. Thinking of lowering the elevon side fasteners as throw is limited since they are so long...and will think of something for the pivot placement... As long as I can keep to metrics I'll come up with something....or just get the right kind of umbraco to fasten the ones I intended to use in the first place.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:38 PM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: Arcteryxxx

Pass was the first one
How close is that RPM ?
Mopar: The RPM of the ICE log of that spesific pass showed an rpm difference of only 50 rpm (less on the ICE).

Here's the graph

GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!
If we nailed the RPM, then for sure, we nailed the speed !!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Arcteryxxx

ORIGINAL: Arcteryxxx

Pass was the first one
How close is that RPM ?

Here's the graph

GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!
If we nailed the RPM, then for sure, we nailed the speed !!!!!!!
Scientists 'R Us....

Old 10-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Arcteryxxx

ORIGINAL: murdnunoc

Arc,
I just noticed something about your control linkages.

The clevis pin needs to be located directly over the hinge line.
With the pivot point set back from the hinge line like yours is, there is less mechanical advantage for the linkage setup to move the elevon.

Do you have some longer clevis adapters to screw onto your heavy duty control horns?
Luckily the hw store did have the right kind of umbraco (7/64) and I got to install the horns as first intended.
Guess this is more like it, Murdo

Name:	Zw69297.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1509811  
Old 10-02-2010, 11:11 AM
murdnunoc

Arc,

Beautiful!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Rimripper

Well I put my order in for the Mega 16/40/2ce on the weekend hopeing it will not be that long of a wait for the horse to drop it off here up north!Mount should arrive soon enough also,I can manage to series up up a 5s set-up for now other than that just have my big 3s 3400,until I pick up some new lipo's.Did you manage to run that big set-up Murdo?
Old 10-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Arcteryxxx

ORIGINAL: Rimripper

Well I put my order in for the Mega 16/40/2ce on the weekend hopeing it will not be that long of a wait for the horse to drop it off here up north!Mount should arrive soon enough also,I can manage to series up up a 5s set-up for now other than that just have my big 3s 3400,until I pick up some new lipo's.Did you manage to run that big set-up Murdo?
The waiting is painful, indeed!!!!
Today I received a message from Mega that my special 22/xx/yy is ready for shipment from the Chezc Rep..
Can't wait!!!!!!!

Old 10-04-2010, 05:59 PM
murdnunoc

Rimripper,

GREAT to hear you're getting the 16/40/2CE!

I think that in the long term, this motor will be a true gem as your plane goes faster and faster. The 16/40/1.5SCE that you were originally going to buy would have met your original goal of a motor that could run now on 3S, but I think you would have been a little sad in the future at its inability to run 6s with props sized for good efficiency.

The 2CE will do wonderfully on 4S-6S, with the true beast being revealed on 6S.
And there's nothing saying you couldn't still run your 3S with an 8x6E prop for 65A and fun buzzing-around power!

Here's an idea, and you'll have to decide if it's feasible:
Is the 3S 3400 pack that you have now a fairly new one? If so, you could buy a twin for it (assuming you don't already have one) and when run in series with your current 3S pack, it would make a wonderful high speed 6S setup.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:02 PM
murdnunoc

Arcteryxxx,
I'm way excited for you to get it, too!!!

Love it if you could get that beast in the air before your annual Ice Age!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Rimripper

Ya Im pretty stoked about getting it with custom mount also,not worrying about mount failure anymore will be great!The 3s has maybe 15 cycles through it so I could probly getr another on and that could be my 6s.I rigged a buddys plane up with some electronics and motor after he crashed pretty hard,got him flying again and let him borrow my 4s to do some runs with it...........needless to say he's into me know for some parts and a batt. as he drove into the ground at about 70 mph straight in!!!4s lipo,30 e-flight esc and a e-flight 480 gone!!!At least He's going to replace it all or just give me the equal funds,I may just get some HK batts not sure.Whats the biggest prop a stryker can fit inbetween the vert.stabs?
Old 10-04-2010, 10:49 PM
murdnunoc

8" will fit if you do a little trimming to the rear of the area where the verticals mount.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:01 AM
Arcteryxxx

Arcteryxxx,
I'm way excited for you to get it, too!!!

Love it if you could get that beast in the air before your annual Ice Age!
You bet I will have it airborne before the lanscape turns all white!
Cooling will be great in the weeks and months to come...

Old 10-05-2010, 03:02 AM
moparmyway

Rimripper,

GREAT to hear you're getting the 16/40/2CE!

I think that in the long term, this motor will be a true gem as your plane goes faster and faster. The 16/40/1.5SCE that you were originally going to buy would have met your original goal of a motor that could run now on 3S, but I think you would have been a little sad in the future at its inability to run 6s with props sized for good efficiency.

The 2CE will do wonderfully on 4S-6S, with the true beast being revealed on 6S.
And there's nothing saying you couldn't still run your 3S with an 8x6E prop for 65A and fun buzzing-around power!

Here's an idea, and you'll have to decide if it's feasible:
Is the 3S 3400 pack that you have now a fairly new one? If so, you could buy a twin for it (assuming you don't already have one) and when run in series with your current 3S pack, it would make a wonderful high speed 6S setup.
Murdo,
Do you have any concerns over CG'ing our Strykers with setups along the lines of 16/40/xx and 6s3400 batts ?
Old 10-05-2010, 08:27 AM
murdnunoc

I don't get all that many good videos that include more than the plane just whipping by the camera on the tripod that often, so when I get a good one, I like to post it!

Uber thanks to Stryker Flyer and his family for hooking me up with the PERFECT fast Stryker flying field, and for shooting the video!

This plane is running the Scorpion SII3026-1190kv outrunner, and it's moving in the mid-150's. Not the record-breaking efficiency I was looking for, but the power was there! The flight before this one where I went 4mph faster was on 3600 Watts!

I got my 6S Turnigy NanoTech 4000mah 45-90C batteries broken in, and this was the day to wring them out. Boy, did they perform! At 170A and 36% discharged, they were still holding 3.6V/cell!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90GAwhYNuQ0
Old 10-05-2010, 08:53 AM
murdnunoc

Murdo,
Do you have any concerns over CG'ing our Strykers with setups along the lines of 16/40/xx and 6s3400 batts ?
That's a perfect combination for a well-balanced Stryker, IMHO.

Here's where 6S 3300 ( black battery) rides in my plane when a Mega 16/40 is mounted. It's tail heavy with the big Scorpion I have now on the back, but balances 1/4" in front of the CG dimples with a Mega 16/40/XX.

This plane is fiberglassed, so that adds a little more weight behind CG, but I think a non-glassed plane with enough carbon to make it stiff enough to run 150mph should balance fine on 6S 3400 if the battery bay's aft end is 1/2" behind a stock plane's battery bay.

We're fortunate that, as battery weight goes up, motor weight usually does, too. So the teeter-totter stays at the point that the kids can still play. Even if it's two fat kids.

Name:	ec88537.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	1511312  
Old 10-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Stryker Flyer

I don't get all that many good videos that include more than the plane just whipping by the camera on the tripod that often, so when I get a good one, I like to post it!

Uber thanks to Stryker Flyer and his family for hooking me up with the PERFECT fast Stryker flying field, and for shooting the video!
Everyone there was very impressed Murdos flying. His lipos were barely warm at landing.I have got to get some of those 45C Turnigys for the my next stryker builds. That was the fastest one flown on that field ever. Weather is looking good on Sunday hope my Hose Monster Bungee cord makes it, I ordered it last night.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Arcteryxxx

Pushrods

Hi!
I'm planning to increase the dimension of the pushrods a tad and want to use M3. The crash last week might have been caused by a M2 pushrod being bent after turning hard in high speed, and although there are other possible reasons for the crash I want to eliminate the chance.
I went to the LHS to get what I needed but as the LHS business seems pretty slow here in Norway and it's the end of season (for most flyers anyway) they were not exactly stocked up with goodies. The things I could get were:
1) Steel M3 clevis
2) M3 pushrod threaded at one end
3) Threaded couplers for soldering on the non-threaded end of the rod.

What do you guys suggest? Clevis-Coupler-Solder-Pushrod-Clevis or should I solder the clevis directly on the non-threaded end of the rod. Or should I discard the whole thing?
See the picture for details.

Name:	Ca81949.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1511427  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.