Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

GWS J3 Cub (my 2nd Cub!) with slight improvements!

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS J3 Cub (my 2nd Cub!) with slight improvements!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 12:12 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GWS J3 Cub (my 2nd Cub!) with slight improvements!

Hello good people,

This is going back in time for me as this is exactly how I trained for RC back in late 2002 and this is of course my 2nd GWS J3 Cub with some slight and minor improvements that I thought of.

IMPROVEMENTS / MODIFICATIONS:

1. I did not want to use the ugly looking wood struts and since they "are" functional, I opted to use an old GWS Slow Stick fiberglass solid rod wing re-enforcement assembly. These fiberglass rods are perhaps NOT in any recent GWS SLow Stick ARF / Slope Flyer version as I perhaps had this specific rods lying around for a long time. The assembly is essentially two aluminum tubing and pre-bent for dihedral and four set of solid fiberglass rods and two of them are longer than the other. One set is intended for the leading edge and the other set is for the trailing edge. These will add weight but, you will no longer need the "Functional" wood struts and make the model look cleaner. Using 5-minute epoxy and holding the wing assembly carefully along with one set of the rods and all good.

2. This model has been around for years and I do not know if GWS has improved the model to allow for a steerable tail wheel and at time of this write-up I have not had the time to check a recent GWS J3 to verify but, my GWS J3 is perhaps nothing more than 2 years old and been in the box perhaps longer as I acquired it back in 2008. The need for a steerable tail wheel just screams at this model as it's flying characteristics are just majestic and wonderful and once it lands you have to horse it around with throttle and good amount of Rudder inputs to steer. Well, using some spare parts from the parts bin, I found a complete steerable tail wheel from one dearly departed Hobby Zone Super Cub and the size and fit was perfect! The model at partial throttle and just a slight rudder inputs would tool around on the ground (assuming smooth hard surface) will taxi just like the full size!

3. At first, I was planning on the Himax HC2212-1180 (1180Kv) and use 2-Cell, 800mAH, Li-POLYs but, I had forgotten to buy my usual Speed Controller for this size of a model, the Castle Creations Thunder Bird 9-AMP ESC, a tiny of a speed controller. However, I looked and looked that late night during assembly of the model and just could not find any ESC that small and that light so, I installed the STOCK GWS IPS power system along with an ESC that supports the Brushed power at a maximum of 5-AMPS (ISC-100).

4. Using 1/32nd Balsa sheeting, I re-enforced a good majority of the Elevator surface, especially for taking the load off from that one small spot where the Elevator horn sits. I also did the same thing for the Rudder.

5. I must be tired of cutting out those translucent plastic parts that GWS supplies with these models so, I had some parts in the parts bin from another dearly departed Hobby Zone Super Cub and found two control horn sets. They were like new and did not have any evidence of damage so, I used them because they have a very good locking feature than, having to glue those what GWS supplies.

Flight Summary:

During my initial assembly of this model and in the late evening hours, I must have been tired as I mistakenly installed that Wrong GWS IPS power system, it was an IPS but, with the 3.5:1 gearbox ratio and the maximum propeller should have been nothing over a seven (7) inch propeller and I installed the GWS 9 X 7 and the flight on Sunday morning 11-14-2010 was a short lived flight of nothing more than 3 minutes. The power was good but, the motor seized up and I had to dead stick it from 60 feet up and she came in like a baby doll, touching on it's mains on the smooth hard concrete surface with grace and majestic manner.
That same day, I returned home and replaced the power system as I found where the plastic bag containing the correct GWS IPS power system, the one that came with the model and with the 5.86:1 gear ratio. I flew her again early evening that Sunday and she flew for a very long time and with some wind action of 5 - 6 MPH.

Monday morning came around and I met up with my buddy Geraldo Rivera who came with his Pentax isl Digital SLR camera and the morning was perfect with total dead calm and Blue Sky. I made the GWS J3 take off from the Grass Field with rather short grass near the Pilots station and she took off very scale and lifted off very nicely. I am amazed on how slow this model can fly and the controls are very responsive as a result of using the Hobby Zone's control horns!! Need to tame em down using expo adjustment.

Some pictures of my new J3 Cub by GWS with modifications. (Pictures by Geraldo Rivera, thanks Gerry!!!)

This picture shows a no power glide test of my GWS J3 Cub:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2819.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	2237756

Resumed Powered Flight:

Name:	IMGP2789.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	2237757

Slow and Closeup Passes

Name:	IMGP2829.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	2237758

Name:	IMGP2761.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	2237759

Name:	IMGP2821.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	2237760

Super Close Pass!

Me standing with my hand in pocket and not even touching the transmitter!

Name:	IMGP2831.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	2237761

While I was demonstrating my hands-off technique, the plane took a slight spiral at which I over corrected by abruptly pulling up
causing the battery to fall out the plane which in turn glided gently to the ground!!!...amazing recovery typical of a lightly wing loaded model like this one!!!!
(I had lots of UP Trim and this allowed the model to gently float in for a perfect landing!!!)

Name:	IMGP2757.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	2237762

Notice the small 2-Cell, 800mAH, Li-POLY on the ground!

Name:	IMGP2835.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	2237763
Old 11-15-2010, 04:30 PM
guapoman2000

Default RE: GWS J3 Cub (my 2nd Cub!) with slight improvements!

My good buddy Gerry was kind enough to transfer all of the pictures of my new GWS J3 Cub over to one of my Jump Drives (Memory Stick) and they were just too many so, I selected some new ones that I had not posted before and some even shows the gradual take off of my J3 Cub.

Right Before Take-Off:

Take Off Run over Grass field, and recall this is a STOCK GWS IPS power system with just 2-Cell, 800mAH, Li-POLYs!

Nice and scale Take-Off:

Nice and stable level flight:

A few Closeup passes towards the camera:

Can this picture tell you that I am enjoying this nice graceful and majestic RC Airplane!

Just two (2) Clicks above Half Throttle is what this 39 inch wing span model needs to allow for a nice flying session!

One Last Picture!

Old 11-15-2010, 09:41 PM
DR1Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Pictures!
Old 11-16-2010, 05:22 AM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: DR1Pilot

Nice Pictures!
Thanks Jim! This model brings back lots of memories!!

Well, you recall those early days, right? This was the first plane I was able to fly.

Back then, we were using the timed cig lighter chargers with the nicad battery packs, 7 cell if I remember correctly and GWS was the only ones with these foam electric planes. Wow, what memories...

Those cheap chargers to top off the Ni-MN's at the field! Those Ni-Cd's and Ni-MH's and they were heavy in today's spoiled supply of Li-POLYs!!! I remember those days and when those cheap chargers finally died (they died sooner than later) I bought the GWS 2002 Charger that did Ni-Cd and Ni-MH's, a much better charger from the standards of those early years.

Also, back then, you did not forget bringing your supply of 5-Minute Epoxy and spare parts so, you could continue flying after a crash in less than 15 minutes!

Those were the days indeed and without Computer Simulators as back in 2002 / 2003, computers were no where as fast as today!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:33 AM
guapoman2000

Reporting that the model has flown over 6 flights since the last report to make it a total of 8 flights on it now and never has it disappointed me in the least as it has flown with the GWS IPS power system that came in the box (5.86:1 ratio) and I am still flying it with the 2-Cell, 800mAH, Li-POLYs.

Just this past Saturday morning and most especially early evening I flew the model for a whopper of 22 minutes in a cool and glow-like BLUE sky over Orlando, Florida park known as BLUE JACKET where it was home to the NAVAL Training facility and made into a park and community area known as Baldwin Park. I was amazed how Dead Calm it was that early evening during Sunset as I flew the model right next to Baldwin Lake and no breeze was coming from the lake. I believe the J3 Cub was the last model to land right before Sunset!

Now, tonight I will be bending a light small diameter wire to make the main gear wire stronger and not allow it to flex so much and planning on installing the Wheel Skirts / Pants.

Having lots of fun with this model.

Carlos[8D]
Old 01-30-2011, 10:20 PM
guapoman2000

Well, I have been flying this model and still with the GWS IPS brushed power system!!

About three weekends ago, my large and nasty Hobby Zone Super cub came in for a landing at a park and it came in a little too fast and it crashed into my parked GWS J3 Cub.

I could not believe that the only thing that broke was the GWS 10 X 8 Propeller and the main landing gear got dislodged.

Tonight with a few hours on my hands (easy going) I was able to fix and improve various details such as finally finished the Main Landing gear pants and fixing the Main Gear and epoxy in the landing gear wire with some heavy stock of plywood pieces.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:23 AM
soarhead-RCU

I still have my old GWS Cub also. It was my second GWS plane after the Pico Moth, maybe 6-7 years ago. I fly it with the stock IPS-A also and a 2 cell 700-900ma lipo. Dont fly it as much as I used to but still in the rotation when the WX is calm. As a matter of fact I flew it about 3 weeks ago in the park soccer field , attached a Key Chain video camera to the top of the wing above the cabin. Had some strobeing of the video from the prop but got some good slow flyingshots anyway. Great little soccer field plane, mine has many many enjoyable flights!!!!!!!!

Happy Flying
Bob
Old 02-06-2011, 06:00 PM
guapoman2000

During the indoor event at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, my GWS J3 flew sort of terrible.

The model apart from me installing an almost discharged 2-Cell, 800mAH, Li-POLY, the model dropped the Right wing when attempting to turn Left.

I did everything I could to land her safely at the 2nd flying court area without damage.

I did not fly her for the rest of the indoor event because I wanted to enjoy flying and not fixing or experimenting and testing.

Thereby, today being cloudy all day in Orlando, Florida and at times with drizzle rain, I waited until almost 4:00pm and left with the model and some tape and left over "yellow" foam cutouts form the kit.

While at my closest High School concrete Band practice, I stated right away and flying her with the existing setup and it was a hand full indeed! She veered right with a slight wing down when I attempted to turn her Right in level flight and at times she zoomed downwards quickly and all controls were very touchy.

The 2nd flight was using a GWS 10 X 4.7 Orange propeller because the GWS Grey 10 X 8 broke during the first landing. Also, at this point I developed a KEEL in front of the Vertical Stab and the flight was much better for control but, she still dropped that Right wing when I attempted to turn Left!![:@]

The 3rd Flight was with placing an unused Velcro square between the wing assembly and top of FUSE on the Right side to make the wings and horizontal star equal height by looking at the rear. Well, that did not do anything except make matters worse and I did check for uneven Wash-Out and Wash-In.

It was not until I realized that this slight Drop of Right wing when turning to the Left was a stall and I quickly stuffed a piece and unused Velcro square at the rear of the wing and behold the best flying RC Model ever!

This was very hard to accept because the wing assembly was exactly flushed to the top of FUSE curvature!

A few things to note as to why my GWS J3 fllew so ugly like during the Indoor fly-In.

1. I had a almost completely discharged battery.
2. The wing to Horizontal alignment was off.
3. Today in Orlando I was able to fly the model for 4 flights and the last flight was having 1/4 inch lift at the back of the wing assembly.
4. Development of the Keel in front of the Vertical stab.

These items transformed my GWS J3 to fly like a dream.

It is ready for the next indoor Fly-In!
Old 02-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Bomb Dropper
Banned
My Feedback: (-4)

She's a beauty!
Old 02-24-2011, 03:39 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: Bomb Dropper

She's a beauty!

Thank you Bomb Dropper!

I have to admit to all of you that this Experienced RC Flyer might have been flying this poor GWS J3 Piper Cub with slight Tail heaviness setup.

Years ago then I was training on a model exactly like this one, I flew it with the heavier 7-cell, 2/3A size, 850mAH, Ni-MH's !!!

I am going to try a heavier 2-Cell, 1000mAH or 1050mAH, Li-POLY and see if this helps some as I hate adding dead weight to any model.

Carlos[8D]
Old 02-26-2011, 07:03 AM
Bomb Dropper
Banned
My Feedback: (-4)

I agree 110%

A lot of people put lead and whatnot as needed to get the CG correct, but i'm also a firm believer in using that "adjustment factor" to your advantage via adjusting the battery position and/or size, to correct the CG. And if that doesn't work out, I will THEN consider adding dead weight. But that's not before I contemplate throwing a slightly larger/upgraded motor/esc on it first if it's still tail heavy.

Like one of my e starters for example. I had gotten it "well used" from a friend of mine and it had several heavy coats of paint on it and tons of epoxy and glue in the tail section. After sanding it down and cleaning up as much as possible, this thing was just still too tail heavy with a towerpro brushless, so I upgraded to a 480 class brushless to get the CG where it needed to be. She flies pretty well even though she's around 29oz AUW. I have to come in a little hot and cut throttle completely from a good 200+ feet away, but she still flies/lands well.. just with some serious attitude! (can't dive too much without fear of tearing off the wings)  [X(]

Hey, the price was right, and I had the spare motor/esc/servo's/lipo anyhow 

God I love this hobby!