Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 11:50 PM
tricountyconst07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF

Poor motor didn't make it i had too install a brushed motor ,280 geared..........fortunately reciever and servos made it along with battery. Next delima i have is charging the 10.4 v parkzone p-51 battery.Seems the mega 2 charger i have is too small it only charges up too 7 cells.I bought battery but didn't realize i needed a bigger sharger til i got home.Am gonna try it with the 480 geared In my Aeronca.....got her off ground the other day but she needs a little more power for take off. Complete flying weight i am at 29 oz....
Old 09-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Ffej

I just bought a J-3 Cub and crashed it, breaking the propeller. I ordered a replacement propeller from Red Rocket but it looks different from the original. They call it a PKZ1008. The original one appears to be a PKZ1014. The hub is larger on the PKZ1014. Will the PKZ1008 work? How do I remove the old propeller and replace it with the new one?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:51 PM
tricountyconst07

I hear ya not sure if it will work . The spinner on the j-3 might be big enough too accomodate it not sure.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:15 PM
theLane
My Feedback: (1)

Hi all,

Crashed and broke the motor mount for the plane. I ordered and received a new one, but does someone have a picture of their mount on the plane? When I put it on, there are spaces between the bottom of the mount and the wall. If I were to tighten it right up, something will break. I can't remember how this mount was on there. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Lane

Old 01-27-2009, 08:43 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Nothing should break, there is a plastic plate behind the firewall that the screws thread into. This should pull the firewall up tight to the motor mount. The mount itself should not flex. Can't post a pic of mine right now as its not here at my house. Post a pic of yours so we can see what you see.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:34 PM
theLane

OK, thanks. I bit the bullet and turned them in until the mount was against the firewall. It was pretty tight. I figured something would give, but seems to be holding. Thanks.

In any case, here is what I was looking at:

Lane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80560.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1121429  
Old 01-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Crash One
My Feedback: (42)

I haven't seen that version before but just looking at your picture, the firewall appears to be concave. It looks like tightening the bottom two screws would flatten out the firewall. May be just the camera angle though.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:55 PM
theLane

Actually, it's not... well, maybe a tiny bit. What you are seeing is a thin plastic trim around the firewall which is making it look like it's a bit concave.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:55 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Looks like its on properly, that fire wall has a lot of flex, especially after a crash. I crashed one so bad the firewall ripped completely off. I just wrapped packing tape around it and heated it with a heat gun. This makes the adhesive stick better and when the tape cools it shrinks and hardens and is actually stronger than the original foam!. I have a bunch of these birds and have probably fixed just about anything that can go wrong with one. If you ever have a problem or question about one that you don't get an answere to, feel free to pm me!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:59 AM
theLane

Thank you for your support. It's much appreciated. I'll give it a try this weekend maybe if the weather is nice.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:28 PM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

Hi all! I'm still back on page 11 (slow reader) so I apologize if these 2 topics have been covered before (search isn't all that great here either).

I plan to buy the PnP version this spring & I was wondering if the servo connectors will fit in a Spektrum Rx? Also, I have a bunch of LiPo batteries for my heli but noticed they are slightly different size. Has anybody put the battery for a Blade CX2 heli in to one of these airplanes?

Thanks & I can't wait to try one of these.

Chuck
Old 02-26-2009, 03:01 PM
bpd282

Clp.eng,

The Parkzone Bl J-3 Cub is a great first plane. Yes, the servos are compatible with a Spektrum RX. I use an old AR6000 and the range on it is fantastic paired with my DX6i TX. I would be careful if you are using a Blade CX2 TX, because it is a "Low Power" TX and the range is shorter. I am using Mega Power 2s 850's I used in my old CX. They are a little long and required me to cut a small piece of plastic in the top of the battery tray to get it to fit. This was very easy and does not hurt the plane. The MP batteries work well. Stock E-Flite 2s bats from the CX2 are pretty much the same size as the MP bats.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:27 PM
clp.eng

Good evening, bpd282 & thanks for the quick response!

I also have the DX6i (did you get the recall notice?) & was planning on putting in an AR6100 Rx. I use it on both my helis. I'm only using the LP5DSM for flying the Vapor indoors. NOTE: I'm hoping what I learn on the Vapor will translate to the Cub.

No matter where I looked I couldn't find out anything about the battery compartment. Thanks so much for that info. I have 4 10C 900mA batteries I used on the CX2 & would like not to have to spend $26 on one E-Flite for the Cub! So that sounds good to me - a little rework won't bother me. I'm sure more than the battery holder will take a beating the first few times out!

Now there's no unanswered questions! If it would only stop snowing & warmup so I can order it! I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas!

Thanks again.

Chuck
Old 02-27-2009, 02:40 PM
bpd282

If you can fly the Vapor, you will find the Cub fairly easy to learn. I'm sure soon after getting the Cub and finding it is easy to fly, you will end up buying a Corsair. That plane flies great also. The thread may have covered this, but when you place the servo wires into the RX, put the rudder servo into the aileron spot. This will allow you to turn the plane with the right stick. It also likes speed as you turn and landing is simple, as it just glides pretty well. I hand launch my Cub a little over 1/2 to 3/4 throttle with a medium straight out toss. I've also ROG it on a baseball diamond infield before, but like hand launching it better.

Good luck.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Wenty

I have one too that I'm waiting for the warm weather to kick in up here in Minnesota. I'm going to run the Thunder Power 2100mAh Lipo on mine. They weigh about 1.9 oz. more then the stock lipo that comes with the Cub. I'm hoping it will fly ok with them so wish me luck.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:10 PM
clp.eng

bpd282: thanks, I probably wouldn't have thought of that right away (rudder on the right stick). That avoided mishap #1 (lol)

I pulled the trigger last night & ordered the plane & Rx. I figured while I still have a job & the $$, I better do it! Now I have to find a big field to fly it in.

Any programming hints for the DX6i & the Cub? How about spares? I'm figuring props but what else? The Vapor is almost indestructable so I haven' replaced much but the prop & shaft.

That Corsair is one sweet looking plane but I'm thinking that my 1st aileron plane will be the T-28. Then when I win the lottery, I'm gonna' get me the Deuces Wild! & maybe the 1/4 scale CUB.

wenty:

I didn't think it ever got warm up there! I'm in northern IL.

I saw a video of the CUB with a camera hanging on it, so I'm guessing a slightly heavier batt should be OK.

I know with in minutes of that bad boy getting here I'll be taxing in the driveway.

Thanks for any info anyone would care to share!

Chuck
Old 03-23-2009, 09:10 PM
clp.eng

Sorry this thread died, lots of good stuff in the 59 pages I just finished.

If anybody's still out there....

I made my 1st attempt at flight last week with the J-3 Cub BL & bent the shaft. I took it to LHS & the kid there stripped the setscrews on the motor trying to loosen them.

Has anybody got an old burned out BL motor that they would be willing to part with? I can remove the outrunner part & put it on the inner part for a spare motor. I'd be happy to pay any costs incurred for shipping, etc.

Thanks.

Chuck
Old 06-14-2009, 07:43 PM
clp.eng

After several disappointing attempts due to rain, baseball games, etc. I finally made attempt #2!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwRHEb71Vi4[/youtube]

If anybody sees this, it really is a great little airplane. Use a sim, it made it possible for me (FMS & Piper Cub model).

Chuck
Old 06-15-2009, 08:03 AM
jmir

You will never forget the thrill of that first, successful flight!
I learned to fly with the J-3 Cub. Wished they came with a brushless motor then.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:58 PM
clp.eng

jmir - you got that right. I haven't had the time or the wx to get back out there since! I'm thinking of throwing the Cub in the car & stop where ever I see an open field & fly!

Here's my version of the DuBro rear tail wheel for the Cub. Thanks to whoever mentioned this earlier!

I cut off the "dragger" section of the tail to make room for the wheel. A little glue to the tabs & stuck in the crack showing. Added a stiff piece of wire to the existing arm - a steerable tail wheel. I tried it once & it worked. I never tried the 'plane on the ground without it. So I assume it works better. LOL

Chuck

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48168.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1220082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs13321.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1220083  
Old 06-18-2009, 08:41 AM
jmir

That's a good, clean mod to the J-3. I also installed a tail wheel. My J-3 had a tendency to run in circles on take off until I installed the tail wheel which resulted in a big improvement. I gave it up-elevator until it got going so that the tail wheel would keep it straight on the ground while gaining speed, then leveled the elevator, watched the tail rise,and it just took off.Beautiful sight.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:05 PM
clp.eng

Did anyone ever find a replacement motor for the J3 brushless? 3 flights & 2 broken motors. At 35 bucks a pop, I won't be able to stay in this hobby! LOL.

Thanks.
clp
Old 07-03-2009, 04:53 PM
jmir

ORIGINAL: clp.eng

Did anyone ever find a replacement motor for the J3 brushless? 3 flights & 2 broken motors. At 35 bucks a pop, I won't be able to stay in this hobby! LOL.

Thanks.
clp
What happened? Defective motors, or unintended landings?
Old 07-04-2009, 01:10 PM
clp.eng

Jmir - i tried to fly it last week with the CX2 Tx 'cuz the DX6i was down again. Apparently, the CX2 Tx has a very short range & it crashed out of control. I replaced the obvious damage (prop & cowl) & didn't see anything else. Tried to fly it this weekend with the DX6i I had to repair & it flew bad, I was trying to bring it back for a landing when it did a lawn dart. Inspection showed the front of the motor was cracked & 1 of the allen screws was missing which would explain the erratic power I was seeing. I'm assuming this happened on the previous mishap.

The front of the motor on the 1st unit was destroyed trying to get the allen screws out to replace a bent shaft.

I just a new heli & a new motor for it. The motor is a 450 class 3550 KV which comes with abuilt in cooling fan, is ALL metal, has gold bullet connectors & connectors for the ESC & a certificate of it's ACTUAL tested specs for $19.99. The motor for the J3 is a 370 class 1500 KV & sells for $32.95.

At those prices I can't afford to fly the J3. Heck Exceed sells a whole RTF Cub for 69 bucks. While Horizon has great service unfortanetely they need it because they have problems with their stuff.

OK, sorry, I'll stop venting now, but I got real frustrated as I wanted to make that Cub soar this weekend!

Chuck
Old 07-04-2009, 01:30 PM
clp.eng

If anybody has any old burned out BL motors I'd be happy to take them off your hands!

Chuck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.