Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:45 PM
jbajor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF

Thanks for the info! Mine did not come with any nylon strap or velcro... I wrote to Parkzone... stuck it in the plastic tray vertically and supported the electronics with foam rubber between the enclosure and the firewall... Still perfecting the slo-v and getting up the nerve to take out the cub.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:06 AM
PMDrive1061

You know, I tried a Slo-V once and I found it more difficult to fly than the Cub. The Cub's a bit faster, but it seems easier to control.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:04 AM
Venom_14

Hey everyone,

i just like to say well done to those of you who had a succesful first flight... mine wasnt... [:@]... but that was a long time ago and i will never speak of it again...

Anyway, i have had my cub for about half a year now and it is still stock, COMPLETELY. Apart from the motor mount and prop shaft.
I didnt fly my cub for about two months after my first flight as it broke, but now its fixed, and i fly it when i can. (not much now i have the FW190) i've probably had about around about 10 to 15 flights on it, and that little motor can still pull it along.

Someone mentioned doing loops. The first time i done one, i climbed high up, went into a sallow dive and pulled up, it done a perfect loop and rolled out the bottom excatly where it started.
I have almost done a roll, by mistake, when i over controlled it. it went over and i pulled back so it came back level.

Thats it from me.

Alex
Old 07-07-2006, 12:53 PM
PMDrive1061

As seems to be the custom here, may I just say: Welcome to the addiction!

That rudder roll you described really is a lot of fun and easier to do if you move the clevises at the control surfaces in one notch. You'll have to adjust them so that the surfaces are level, but that only takes a few quick twists.

As for the loop, that's the only way I've found to be able to do it even with the Venom. The little bit of extra weight I have in the nose between a block of Styrofoam and some fiberglass cloth used to reattach the firewall makes loops with my plane a bit ugly.

Getting slightly off-topic: How do you like that FW-190? I had the P-51D but man, what a pain it was to get airborne. Buddy of mine out here gutted the electronics out of his, put in some Futaba gear along with a very nice brushless outrunner setup. He cut a firewall out of thin plywood and attached the motor with the help of a cut-down glow engine mount. He also split the wing open and replaced the foam reinforcements with carbon fiber and basswood. A 2100 li-po fits the battery box to perfection. He'd done the same thing to a 190, but one of the motor windings had burned out just prior to my getting to the field. Except for the APC props behind the stock spinners, you couldn't tell either had been modified.

I kid you not when I say that P-51 was more than twice as fast as the stocker. Launches were effortless and the control was far more precise. He'd buzz the field low and in perfect control and pull it straight up. Vertical performance was incredible. In comparison to a fresh P-51 on its maiden flight - which was in the air at the same time - there simply was no comparison.

I may no longer have my Mustang, but I sure do have my Cubbie.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:48 AM
Bob Cosby

It's been a while since I checked into this thread - its continued growth is amazing. I started with a J3 Cub back in October, and "flew the wings off of it"...almost literally, LOL. Good stuff for sure.

I've been over in Baghdad for over 2 months now, and brought my CG Eagle 400 (on GWS floats) over here to do some relaxing. A couple of guys came out and watched, and were immediately hooked. Choice for first plane? PZ J3 Cub, of course. One of them got here yesterday, though it is too windy to fly. The other should be here middle of next week. I'll be helping both, so they should be in the air successfully a lot quicker than I was. LOL.

Boy...shiny brand new little Cub sure looks neat, too!

Bob
Old 07-09-2006, 05:23 AM
cobra26

After sitting on the sidelines and lurking on this thread for a while, I finally ordered the Parkzone J-3. I'm looking forward to its arrival. I've also ordered the Venom 370P, 2" wheels, DuBro tail wheel and bracket, and the GWS 8060 props. Can't wait to get a go at this one! I figure I'll start out flying with the stock configuration and then do the upgrades so I have a comparison between the two. Any thoughts from anyone on this approach?

Aeromite
Old 07-09-2006, 06:41 AM
Leo L

Your approach is fine. I would suggest that you get the PZ High Pitch prop. You will find that the plane flies better with it as compared to stock and as compared to the GWS props.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:23 AM
kwmorris
My Feedback: (4)

Hey guys. I'm new to the RC sport. I purchased a J-3 Cub about a month and half ago. I love it. I have a few questions. Does it make a difference if you fly without the black nose cone? Can you replace it with a plastic one? How many of you guys still have the original electronics in your J-3 Cub? Would you recommend adding aileron to this plane? How does a electric plane fly compared to a gas plane? I have a gas trainer that has a 65 inch wingspan that I have not flown. I figured the electric plane would be a trainer for the gas plane and a lot cheaper to fix. I also purchased G-3 flight simulator yesterday. How realistic is the flights simulator to the real thing? Thanks for the help

Kevin
Old 07-09-2006, 03:15 PM
OverDrive1

well, if you guys want to see a really weird ParkZone cub that I created, go to http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540658
since i dont know how to post a pic here...
P.S. it has a 5'2 foot wingspan!
Old 07-09-2006, 10:27 PM
PMDrive1061

Diggin' the SOOOPER CUB! Cool idea!
Old 07-10-2006, 06:46 AM
Leo L

Kevin,

Welcome! The black nose cone is mostly for appearance, but in the event of a nose first crash, the rubber cone will take up some of the shock, reducing damage. You can fly without it and you can replace it with a plastic cone. (I presume that you lost yours. If not, I suggest sticking with the original. I add a little rubber cement to the hole on the inside of the cone to help keep it from falling off.) I've been flying the Cub for almost a year now and find no reason to change the electronics. As long as you don't get interference from others on the same channel, there is no need to change the electronics. I have six HobbyZone / ParkZone planes, all with their original electronics, and none have a problem. Keep in mind that it you're going to change the electronics, you need to change everything: transmitter, receiver, speed controller and servos. There have been several flyers who added ailerons to the Cub. You can find details on this thread, I believe somewhere around page 10. Glacier Girl did a fine description of the change, including some great pictures. I cann't comment on how the electric compares to the gas because I only fly electrics. I also have never used the simulator, but from comments made by others, the simulator is considerably easier than the real thing.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:14 PM
brandesmd

I can say that in my experience the simulator was a lot easier than the first few times I flew the cub. I have about 10 flights on mu cub and learned to fly with it and I don't really think that the simulator did me any good. I was to relaxed on the simulator because I knew it wasn't real. But that first time that I ran her up to full throttle and chunked her in the air I was nervous as hell. In my case I just needed to get out and do it rather than practice on the simulator. It was too much like a video game for me.

I have removed my cowl for the first time and have noticed that on the underside of the gearbox it looks like it may have melted or something and there are some cracks in the gearbox. Has anyone else seen this and do I need to replace the whole gearbox? I don't think that it is affecting the flight characteristics so can I just leave it alone or is this something that needs to be addressed?
Old 07-10-2006, 02:40 PM
brandesmd

By the way, has anyone flown the Cub with just two rubberbands on the wing? I was going to try it because I only have two left and it seems to hold the wing on pretty tight. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:38 PM
gunracer

brandesmd,

the gearbox and spur gear do have a tendancy to melt...especially if you're running wot all the time and with no additional cooling holes added to the cowl...if the gearbox is still holding the motor securely, i wouldn't worry too much about some slight deformation and small cracks...just make sure you don't fly her too far away from you in case you need to make an emergency landing...i wouldn't fly with just two rubberbands holding the wing... if one of them breaks, the other one will pull the wing off center...i never used the stock rubberbands as they were too tight and narrow...
Old 07-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Bob Cosby

To add to the above....buy an extra gearbox now, so that when it does finally give out, you won't be down for more than a few minutes. They're cheap, too.

Bob
Old 07-10-2006, 09:53 PM
hray2

If you can manage it, try to take two planes and about four batteries when you go out to fly and alternate planes giving them time to cool down between flights..... I take my Cub and the Decathalon which share batteries, props ect. And i don't fly wot for the whole flight......get it up a ways and cut back throttle and enjoy......Baring a really serious mishap i can fly for as long as the winds stay reativly calm or i run out of daylight...Denny
Old 07-10-2006, 10:00 PM
JasonRP

ORIGINAL: kwmorris

Hey guys. I'm new to the RC sport. I purchased a J-3 Cub about a month and half ago. I love it. I have a few questions. Does it make a difference if you fly without the black nose cone? Can you replace it with a plastic one? How many of you guys still have the original electronics in your J-3 Cub? Would you recommend adding aileron to this plane? How does a electric plane fly compared to a gas plane? I have a gas trainer that has a 65 inch wingspan that I have not flown. I figured the electric plane would be a trainer for the gas plane and a lot cheaper to fix. I also purchased G-3 flight simulator yesterday. How realistic is the flights simulator to the real thing? Thanks for the help

Kevin

Kevin,

I have the G2 simulator. It taught me to fly, and is worth it's weight in gold! No kidding, without the sim, I would either not be in RC anymore, or at the least I would have wrecked many many more planes.. I don't know about G3, but G2 comes by default with a screwy view setting, that kinda follows the plane around. You have to change a setting under the view menu to "look at ground", so that the ground is always in view. This I find is totally realistic, as this provides you with the frame of reference you need for it to "seem real"..

Anyway, with many G2 hours under my belt, I then flew a scratch built plane powered by a Cox .049 (no throttle- wide-open!), with only elevator and rudder control, and I flew it and landed it safely 3 times the first time out! If you can, take someone with you that has flown before, but if that's not an option, the sim will teach you. Pay attention to what is happening, and learn from your mistakes.. Don't overcontrol (think finesse), and immediately after launch, don't try to turn, but focus on gaining airspeed and altitude. If you always fly "several mistakes high", you'll be good to go. Also, with the cub, don't fly in too much wind, and although it is tempting to let the plane float, keep up at least a little airspeed.

Jason
Old 07-10-2006, 11:36 PM
wo23dodge

Isn't anyone running a brushless on a cub?
I picked up a wing,tail assy and a body all for half price from a hobby store that closed it's doors Saturday and I have enough parkzone electronics to put in it to make it fly but have not decided what to do for a motor,I have 3 or 4 brushless laying around that I am thinking of using,really probably only two would work,both out runners,one being a BP21.

I have a powerzone board to adapt the stock electrics to go brushless
Old 07-11-2006, 12:00 AM
PMDrive1061

^^Ooh, I want! I've heard of these things but I know nothing about them. A brushless Cubbie on the stock electronics would be a beautiful thing, especially since Horizon seems to have the glitches under control. My receiver is more than a year old with countless flights to its credit and it hasn't so much as hiccuped. The transmitter is my original from nearly two years ago. I know that these electronics are done on the cheap, especially after reading a thread here on these boards, namely:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_40..._1/key_/tm.htm

Regardless of the simplicity of the approach, these things work fine if you have good ones.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:51 AM
Glacier Girl

wo23dodge,
I run a Hacker brushless in mine.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM3005
Fits right into the stock gearbox.

Hey Bob, Glad to hear you're still safe over there.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Bob Cosby

I built a rather ugly firewall for my Cub and mounted a Park 370 BL Outrunner, using a TP 2C 1320 Lipo. Worked great.

Thanks GG...Safe is good...LOL. Looks like I might get a small flying club going over here....built around PZ J3's to start, if the damn wind will ever quit blowing!

Bob
Old 07-11-2006, 11:50 AM
PMDrive1061

I share GG's sentiments, Bob. Great job over there. Meant to say that a couple of posts back.

You may have answered another question of mine, namely that of which li-pos fit in that itty-bitty battery space. Does your 2C TP fit in the stock cage (hopefully)? The stock electronics work fine, but if I ever want to put upgraded guts in mine, I'm going li-po as well if I find something that fits.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Bob Cosby

Tks PMD. The 2C will fit, but it is very snug. I took a dremel and did a little bit of clearancing of the stock battery cage. The battery goes in at an angle, so it only needs a little bit of material taken off at opposite ends. Works well!

Best of luck.
Bob

PS....will have some pics of "Cubs over Baghdad" as soon as this wind dies down....which might not be till October, LOL.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Glacier Girl

Bob,
If you are in need, let me know I'll be glad to ship stuff over to you.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:47 PM
wo23dodge

I should have known you had

Thanks
I am going to try and make a BP21 work,forsee any troubles?
I have so little in this that I just have to try it.
None of my batteries want to fit

Brian

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

wo23dodge,
I run a Hacker brushless in mine.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM3005
Fits right into the stock gearbox.

Hey Bob, Glad to hear you're still safe over there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.