Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Newbie here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 05:49 PM
mattwindy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here.

Ok all I have a few questions. I have flown before, I am looking to get a park flyer just to play around with. What do you all reccomend. I am looking at the parkzone J3 cub, or a yard stik. Any plus or minuses on either. I have read rave reviews about the j3. Will it dead stick? If I hear the beeps and kill the motor will I land it or crash. Can I get longer run times with a different pack. Ideally I'd like to get like 15 to 20 min flights. A nice lil relaxer to cool down after work. Please help me out here! What do you all reccomend for a good park flyer.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:42 PM
mectf

Default RE: Newbie here.

Matt,

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/A_call_to_all_ParkZone_Cub_owners/m_1967298/tm.htm]check out this discussion[/link]

I love my J3. Easy flying, cheap parts. The plane dead sticks just fine, when the battery gets low the engine shuts down and gives you enough battery for the controls to land.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:31 AM
gargoyle7

mattwindy, welcome to ya! I have to say what many say on this board, the GWS Slow Stick is the way to go, a nice relaxing plane that can be surprisingly diverse when upgraded/modded. It's also very inexpensive to fly & maintain, only $35 for an ENTIRE new kit if/when damage occurs. A great little plane to toss into the air after you come home from work to relax. I run 2Cell LiPos on mine & am getting 20-25 minutes NONSTOP flight times. Whatever you choose though, best of luck with it.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:56 PM
wattman

After a 30 year break , I have returned to rc model airplanes , electric powered , they are great , Parkzone cub , stock battery 14 minutes , timed , flight times , half throttle . GWS Tiger Moth , lipolly battery , 2 cell , 700 mAh , 16 minutes of flight time , on the safe side . Today was a beautiful day of flying , these pictures are from today .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24869.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	159703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25344.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	159704  
Old 08-02-2004, 04:17 AM
foreverNight

Thats a great looking field! I fly my zero and sky scooter in a soccer field complex. It's about 10 soccer fields put together. but, yours has a runway!
Old 08-02-2004, 06:48 AM
Morb

ORIGINAL: wattman

GWS Tiger Moth , lipolly battery , 2 cell , 700 mAh , 16 minutes of flight time , on the safe side . Today was a beautiful day of flying , these pictures are from today .
Hey Wattman, beautiful pictures....and stop being safe You should get at least a minimum of 1/2 hr

I clocked at 50 minutes of general putting around with Etec 700 2s1p packs on my TM stock motor .. almost fell asleep in the hot sun a couple of times.

That is with ... yuck..... throttle management.

Geof.
www.smoothair.ca
Old 08-02-2004, 07:02 AM
phase_boy

Hello Newbie,

I would recommend the ParkZone J-3 Cub. I have one, and it's wonderful to fly. My flight times are around 15 minutes, with the stock 8.4V 600mAh battery. Granted, I haven't flown anything else--but that says something about the Cub. It's somewhat faster than the stock Slow Stick, and I prefer the look of a scale plane. The whole kit is quite cheap, but of course this means that you don't have the flexibility in choosing the radio package (as with the Slow Stick, or other ARF).

You should take a look at the discussion that mectf suggested, you can read about some of the Cub's quirks, and decide if it's the plane for you. There are many happy Cub flyers, and probably about a million times more happy Slow Stick flyers. The planes really aren't comparable, though. They each offer a different experience.

And, of course, there are a dozen or so other planes that might be just right for you.

My vote is for the Cub.

- Sylvan