Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Plane to travel on a plane with.

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Plane to travel on a plane with.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 03:31 PM
markktm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane to travel on a plane with.

Gentlemen

I travel a lot and would like to take an elecrtic plane with me to fly when on trips.The plane would be to have to break down to fit in a box about 23"x12"x9" (std carry on size). I would want to fit my Futaba, charger, batteries etc in the box. The plane could have about a 40" wing span if I can break it down.

Any ideas?

Mark
Old 12-06-2004, 04:05 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Plane to travel on a plane with.

Welcome to RCU.

I moved your question to the Parkflyer electics area as you had posted it in the 1/2A gas engine area. Also you may want to further describe what sort of flying you wish to do with the model so folks may offer suitable suggestions. In the end you may have to make your own model or modify a kit so you can build in the mods required to best break the model down for transport. Or if you're up to some 3D flying then some of the very stubby square or saucer model designs may be an option that would still pack down very small.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:32 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Welcome again!

I've been mulling over the same sort of idea... As I travel quite a bit too, but my flying environment is a little more hostile. sigh, unfortunately, no plane on this trip. [&o]

I have successfully used a golf club case for a small electric, with radio, charger, and the rest in my suitcase. Aside from some strange looks going thru customs, I've never had a problem. Unfortunately, ya gotta check stuff that size.

Just like Bmatthews was asking, what kind of flying are you planning on? One thought that I was considering is a slow-stick with a removeable tail, that should fit in a small case fairly well, and it's light! Still thinking.....
Old 12-06-2004, 05:57 PM
jboy381-RCU

radical rc has a micro stik that would be perfact for your idea...give it a look...it ueses GWS equipment for control....

hope this helps...
john

http://radicalrc.secure-mall.com/sho...13&cart=251944
Old 12-06-2004, 06:22 PM
GeorgeinVT

A THawk breaks down easily and is very sturdy. You can purchase it minus the rc gear and install you own. It takes real servos, etc.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:35 PM
markktm

Thanks

I'm new to this, just starting out so 3D might be a bit much for now. I was thinking of something that the wings can come apart like My Kadet senior. I want this to be a good next step plane from the Sig.

Mark
Old 12-06-2004, 07:16 PM
INeedHelp

Pico Tiger Moth may work for you. The wings can come off the fuselage and it breaks down to be quite small.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:22 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How about a Clancy Baby Bee?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LL1400&P=1
Old 12-07-2004, 09:20 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey CWRR, I will be in your neighborhood in Feb and I have been trying to think how I can bring something out there to fly since you guys have so many nice places.
You mentioned odd looks going though security with the radio stuff. Please tell me more. I think I can pack a modified FFF F-18 in my checked luggage but I didn't want to trust my tranny to the luggage apes.

To all luggage apes in RCU I am sure you would never hurt a guys TX.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:19 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

Markktm...the graupner mini piper is quite small and transportable{ even assembled}..you can buy it as a kit version for about $30...it used to be $50 but has come down in price,,,hobby lobby has them,,,but you need a 280 speed motor..but I dont recommend it if you are a 1st time flyer...it can be hard to control in the wind cause it is quite light and has such a small wingspan..
Old 12-07-2004, 02:04 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Cool Vicman - You're welcome out at our field any time!

It's really no big deal going through security, just go through the line way early, cooperate with the goons, and be friendly/curteous, etc(smile alot). They will probably want to see your tx once it goes thru the x-ray so they can swab it, look at it, ask you silly questions, and screw up your trims. Just be patient. I don't think I would let the luggage apes(no offense anyone! ) throw a tx loose around in my bags.... but if you have the original box, it works pretty good.

As far as carry on, unless you get into the micro indoor type stuff, you'll be kinda limited on space. Remember everything's gotta go under the seat or up in the overhead. Personally, I would prefer to check the plane and radio(packed as well as possible), and carry a change of clothes as carry on, just in case.

Another idea I'll throw out there instead of lugging one with you is to ship it ahead of time...(done that too!) Or, if you know someone where you're going, maybe talk them into loaning/renting one to you.... Hertz rent-a-R/C anyone?
Old 12-07-2004, 06:13 PM
jboy381-RCU

ORIGINAL: cwrr5
Another idea I'll throw out there instead of lugging one with you is to ship it ahead of time...(done that too!) Or, if you know someone where you're going, maybe talk them into loaning/renting one to you.... Hertz rent-a-R/C anyone?

that's what i'm planning on doing this summer...going to vist my brother in OR...i'll send about a week in advance...

john
Old 12-07-2004, 09:30 PM
vicman

if you know someone where you're going, maybe talk them into loaning/renting one to you.... Hertz rent-a-R/C anyone?
Believe it or not, when I was out there last Feb I showed up at the feild after all the fair weather flyers left for the day and a guy showed up with a reconstructed/bashed/testbed/recycled plane he was experimenting with flaps and a new radio. After spotting for him and helping him program his new radio (I had the same 9C) I shared some tricks for flying in the wind and never turning around to complete a circuit. If you have never done this it is some of the most fun I have had flying but you need a steady wind. Anyway he handed the Tx to me to fly for a tank. I had a great time sharing tricks, helping, bench flying, an actually flying. I wish I could remember the guys name, we had a great time.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:04 AM
flyingflipper

I have a Accipiter Badius that I take with me on trips. It's got a plastic fuse with plastic covered foam wings - it can take a lot of abuse. I break down the tail and elevator, disassemble the wings and it fits nicely in a 36" X 6" X 8" box. I put the radio in my carry-on bag. It only takes a few minutes to put it together again. It's not a bad flier either. You can get them cheap on eBay or at raidentech. I'm heading out tomorrow to Orange County, California for a few days and can't wait to get in some stick time.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:45 AM
vicman

I've been thinking about one of those.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:22 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want something that can really be packed up for travel, check out the Carbon Falcon. Here's a [link=http://www.acesim.com/rc/]link.[/link] I don't have one, so I can't vouch for it's performance, but I've never heard a bad word said about it.