Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Challenger Electronics Put Into Another Plane? (& Challenger Hop Ups)

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Challenger Electronics Put Into Another Plane? (& Challenger Hop Ups)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 10:01 PM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Challenger Electronics Put Into Another Plane? (& Challenger Hop Ups)

Hey all, gearing up for spring flying season and, being new to this sport only last year, I have many questions that I'm hoping for some answers to. Due to the learning curve last season my Challenger's body is about shot. I did the motor mount ziptie but never did the tail boom ziptie mod. As a result the tail boom is causing problems. It's fixable, but mainly I want a new body because the nose on it is badly disfigured from several really bad hard surface nose dives. Not complaing, as the plane held up well considering what I put it through. Now the circuit board has also come loose after fixing it once already. She'll still fly with some minor rebuilding but I want a pretty new body as I'm confident I won't be destroying the nose this time around...at least not for a long while. So, the questions begin...

1) Since a new body for $45 comes with internal electronics I have some perfectly good electronics in the old body that I'd like to give new life in another plane. I'm leaning toward a glider or a flying wing. What kind of ready to fly body would be a good candidate for my old electronics? I'm assuming the tail "mixing" controls for lift and turn will work in a flying wing, or what other body types will they work on? Also, on a glider would I hack them to the tail for control? Need ideas.

2) I'm planning on buying a second plane this year....mostly leaning toward the Stryker, the Extreme, or that new Mustang (?) fighter they are coming out with. SInce I already have a charger, batteries, and a controller for my Challenger, which of these planes can use any or all of these components? I'd like to save money by buying only what I need of the new plane to get it flying. I think the Stryker uses a different controller, but I believe at least the Extreme uses the same Challenger controller? Also, I believe the Extreme uses bigger batteries than the Challenger, but that the Stryker uses the "Pro Pack" Challenger battery? Can the Challenger car charger charge all the above batteries for the various planes? Don't know what the new fighter plane uses. Any details on the above would be great. I'm mainly trying to figure out what Challenger components (batteries, charger, controller) will work in combination with the above planes.

3) Souping up the Challenger. I'd like to add some extras to it. I currently have purchased the extra cell "pro" pack to give it more engine power. This pack is by Venom and features a higher 1100ma for longer run times as well. Are there any higher ma nihms out there for it now? Or, I'd even like to go lipo for longer run times. Can anybody point me to lipos that will work with the plane. I think I heard that the auto voltage drop engine shutoff on the Challenger will protect a lipo from over drain so I'd like to go that route if I could. Part #s and any wiring info would be helpful. Props...are there any aftermarket props that I can use on the Challenger and what would be the advantages of them? I'm assuming a carbon prop would be more energy efficient. Again, part #s? Brushless motors...the way I understand it you can't put one on a Challenger as you'd need a speed controller for brushless but you can't replace the old one. Seems to me there should be brushless motors out there with some kind of speed controller adapter circuit that will allow the current control electronics to "think" it's working a brushed motor?

4) Onboard video. I hear the trend it toward mini digital camcorders and away from cameras with transmitters. Looking for something cheap and light that a Challenger can carry. Mustek, others? Weight and other concerns?

I know this is a lot of questions but hoping for specifics to get my season in high gear. Thanks in advance!