Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 09:49 AM
AirWing Marine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Hey Flybyvam, You ordered yours?...Did you know about Ricks Hoobyshop out on Williamson, next to Supershoes?...You could have gotten one there for same price...Im probably going to get the Spitfire this weekend....maybe sunday we can hook up and do some formation flying...I asked him about throwing a extra battery in if i bought a plane from him, he said he would..Have to wait and see...Let me know when youguys are getting together to fly...Ill be getting the P51 and the Wolf soon also..I want all 3..lol....take care..Semper Fi!
Old 03-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Flybyvam

ORIGINAL: AirWing Marine

Hey Flybyvam, You ordered yours?...Did you know about Ricks Hoobyshop out on Williamson, next to Supershoes?...You could have gotten one there for same price...Im probably going to get the Spitfire this weekend....maybe sunday we can hook up and do some formation flying...I asked him about throwing a extra battery in if i bought a plane from him, he said he would..Have to wait and see...Let me know when youguys are getting together to fly...Ill be getting the P51 and the Wolf soon also..I want all 3..lol....take care..Semper Fi!
Hey Steve,

I haven't forgotten about you! We've only been out there once about a week ago - I copied you on the e-mail. I am hoping for this Sunday afternoon at Greenhill if the wind holds down.

Actually, I got mine in a trade over on RC Groups. There was a problem with the horizontal stab, so I ordered another one and it should be here Wednesday. Unfortunately, that means no maiden this weekend. []

I'm all up for supporting local shops, but sometimes the price just isn't there. Check out Diversion Hobbies for some great deals on PZ and HZ stuff. You can get the Spit, no tax, free shipping, two batteries, extra prop and spinner for the same price as Horizon. I got my Cub from them - super fast shipping.

Take care,
Mike
Old 03-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Flybyvam

ORIGINAL: sniper1

I'm honored mate, thanks!! I'm not the greatest pilot out there, and this is not the greatest plane out there, but with a bit of knowledge and a little discipline, the Mustang is a great plane to fly. Good luck on your maiden! Try and get as many tips from this forum to compensate for the shortcomings (yes there are some) of this plane. There are plenty of experienced 51 pilots here to help you out.
Here are some stills of my 51 in action for inspiration:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...emberId=115402
Not a problem! Enjoyed those video stills as well. Such a beautiful plane in the air.

I've been reading a lot of tips here and over on RC Groups, so hopefully my maiden goes well next weekend.

Thanks again!
Mike
Old 03-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Sinai

Dude, this plane is SJCHWEEEET!!!!
I Love P51's greatest hits too, one of my favorites!!!!!! My favorite part in the song and video is when Stepanwolf's lyrics say, "...Lookin' For Adventure, and ..." the plane rocks side to side in rythm with the beat!!! Plus the Cymbals at the beginning of the song are synchronized with a hand launching per each cymbal crash. Really nice. I have yet to see ANYONE successfully film a stang with landing gear that can actually FLY AND LAND. Only Stills that look cool, but CAN IT FLY WITH LANDING GEAR?????
Old 03-05-2007, 12:26 AM
Mr. Mugen

Sure it can but it will dampen your manueverability a bit. I wish they made an optional LG kit for it.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:56 AM
Sinai

Thanks MrMugen. I'm probably not the only one who looks up to you. Ive seen your mods on the Supercub and have learned alot from your posts. Well, I have a stang, and another fuse laying around. What do I use to fix something like a crunched front end? The structure is fine as far as the frame goes. Its more or less a split down the top of the front part and a gash on the right side. How would you fix this type of thing? here's a pic of my p51 plus the crunched fuse. (I know I could tape it. But what would you do? Foam the nose after tape? or glue it?) . . .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63065.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	635499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48774.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	635500   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28040.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	635501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq45064.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	635502  
Old 03-05-2007, 08:16 AM
GWARREN2

Hey, I have two p-51,a fw190, and a spitfire. I would like to take two of them and install JR radio and servo`s and change the motor to a brushless with 2100 11.1 lipo.

? is, what e-flight or AXI motor can fit in the gearbox?

also I have a Stryker that I need to install a brushless motor in and was wondering what motor fits in the housing????

I love these planes, the Spitfire flies the best of the lot, but as usual, I NEED MORE POWER SCOTTY!!!!!

IT IS BETTER TO HAVE FLOWN AND CRASHED, THAN TO HAVE NEVER HAD THE JOY OF FLIGHT!
Old 03-05-2007, 01:22 PM
darnold

GWARREN2- What are the flight characteristics of the Spit compared to the Stang and Wolfe; does it turn tighter, is it smoother to fly, does it have better stall characteristics, does it climb better? Please tell all.
"IT IS BETTER TO HAVE FLOWN AND CRASHED, THAN TO HAVE NEVER HAD THE JOY OF FLIGHT!"; I LOVE this motto.[8D] May I use it????[8D] LOL!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:27 PM
GWARREN2

Sure, you can use the motto.
The Spitfire flies great and has alot better handling and climb performance than the stang. I like all three of them, but would rate the Spitfire as #1, FW190#2, and the stang @ 3.

I am currently thinking of upgrading the stang to brushless & lipo.

looking for a motor that will mount up to the oem gearbox.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Mr. Mugen

try the eflite six series motor. It bolts right in after you trim a tiny ring with the dremel.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:44 PM
GWARREN2

I did some stall series today with the spits & p51.

The Spitfire stalls straight ahead and recovers quickly ( no roll tendense )

The Stang rolls rapidly at the on set off the stall ( as expected )

The fw190 is in the middle of these two.

my 2cents
Old 03-06-2007, 05:56 PM
01SCSS

Just thought I'd post up a short vid I made over the weekend. -Cheers

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....7e6e0ac1b9f4b1
Old 03-08-2007, 03:37 PM
SNOWTANK

Hi I am new to this forum. I just purchased a PZ SPITFIRE Mk 11B. Need info on how it flies and what to watch out for. I never flown a RC plane before just a Blade CX 2 heli, a 6FT Rc combat battleship and a couple of Henglong tanks. Thanks

SNOWTANK
Old 03-08-2007, 09:12 PM
GWARREN2

Hey, My two cents, get some stick time on a more docile airplane first i.e. parkzone J3, super cub, or something like these.
I have a PARKZONE SPITFIRE,P-51,& FW190, believe me, these airplanes are alot of fun and relatively stable, but they are not trainers.
Do you have a computer simulator ( G3, or the Hangar 9 ) These are around $200.00 and are worth every penny.

Your really going to enjoy the spits, it`s the best of the PZ`S
Old 03-08-2007, 11:13 PM
tclaridge

Snow Tank,
Listen to GWarren!! I know it will be hard, but don't let the Spit be your first plane in the air!!! Get a sim (I love G3), and then a trainer. After about 30 flights (or more) and a few hours on the sim, then go fly the Spit!

I know this sounds conservative, but I hate to see people get excited about the hobby, and get the cool warbird, only to leave the hobby in frustration and a collection of crashed parts.

Trust me and the others on the forum: buy a sim, get the Super cub. Then you will tear up the sky with your Spit!

I posted my Parkzone squadron just for fun.

Name:	Pn36871.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	638264  
Old 03-09-2007, 12:31 AM
Flybyvam

Good advice above. I got the Cub and LOVED it (still a great plane). Now I have a whole squadron of planes, and still fly them all. The sim is a great tool, and FUN in the winter/rainy months when you can't get out.

Good luck!
Mike
Old 03-09-2007, 07:59 AM
GWARREN2

FLYBYVAM, Great motto you have there. I like to tell people that

( I HAVE HAD GALLONS OF MILK LAST LONGER THAN SOME OF MY RC PLANES. )

Yours has a little more of a positive outlook.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Flybyvam

Gwarren2,

Thanks! It's not really my quote - a guy I fly with said something similar to this, and I've lived by it ever since!

Take care,
Mike
Old 03-14-2007, 11:44 AM
7Plagues

I just purchased this plane today as well. Can anyone recommend any landing gear that will attach to this plane? I really don't want to belly land this plane over and over and would rather modify some type of landing gear instead. I seen a few of you recommended a trainer first, so i think i will try that. Also, is there a kit out there that is compatable with the P-51 controller and batteries? I would hate to buy an entire second setup and would rather just have two planes, 1 controller and etc etc.thanks in advance
Old 03-17-2007, 11:17 AM
GWARREN2

HELLO, I would suggest buying a JR, FUTABA, HITEC, or SPECTRUM radio equipment and convert your PZ P-51 to better radio gear. This way, you have a good radio for your P-51 and you can fly numerous other airplanes with the radio ( THESE A FAR SUPERIOR TO THE STOCK RADIO EQUIP THAT YOU HAVE CURRENTLY ).I have both JR & FUTABA with 10 memory slots each, this really helps if you plan on having several rc`s.
I have a couple of friends that have the SPECTRUM and they are very pleased with the performance of this system.

I have two PZ P-51 , SPITFIRE, AND THE FW190. They are alot of fun but the original radio equip is very unreliable. I have had two crashes due to no control. The ones that I have converted are rock solid, no glitches, better response, more travel,etc....

As far as the landing gear, I would also like that. I have considered making my own, but it looks like to much weight and it would be flimsey.

my 2 cents
Old 03-20-2007, 07:47 AM
7Plagues

ORIGINAL: GWARREN2

HELLO, I would suggest buying a JR, FUTABA, HITEC, or SPECTRUM radio equipment and convert your PZ P-51 to better radio gear. This way, you have a good radio for your P-51 and you can fly numerous other airplanes with the radio ( THESE A FAR SUPERIOR TO THE STOCK RADIO EQUIP THAT YOU HAVE CURRENTLY ).I have both JR & FUTABA with 10 memory slots each, this really helps if you plan on having several rc`s.
I have a couple of friends that have the SPECTRUM and they are very pleased with the performance of this system.

I have two PZ P-51 , SPITFIRE, AND THE FW190. They are alot of fun but the original radio equip is very unreliable. I have had two crashes due to no control. The ones that I have converted are rock solid, no glitches, better response, more travel,etc....

As far as the landing gear, I would also like that. I have considered making my own, but it looks like to much weight and it would be flimsey.

my 2 cents
thanks for the insight about the readio. i will have to look into it and update it. I have some time before the weather is right here in NJ for flying. it's currently sloppy, wet, and snowy out.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:26 AM
Libertarian

Hey 7, try one of these versions depending upon what you have in mind.
Parkzone J3 Cub landing gear that I cut in half. I then replaced the stock foam wheels and put 2 x
2-1/4" Dubro low bounce on.

Hey if you want to go with non retracts, maybe look at what is used on the E-Flite P47.
Part # ELF6007, $5.99, from Horizon, comes as a set. Wheels, gear, and supports.
Would be pretty simple to graft them to the Stang. Cut out the holes for the supports, slip in some additional foam for bracing through the holes, and epoxy them in. You wouldn't even have to split the wing to do it

If you're going to build this plane to be a hangar queen, or you really want to taxi around, build it with the gear and put a steerable tail wheel on. If you're more interested in how it looks and flies in the air, and have a reasonable grass patch to land in, leave 'em off.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:59 PM
Flybyvam

Hi Guys,

I finally got my wish! I maidened the P51 Thursday at lunch, and what an amazing plane!

Reading much of this thread, and some info over on RC Groups helped quite a bit - so thank you all!

I launched level at 3/4 throttle after taking a short run with her and away she went. The wing dipped slightly to the left, but after that, the plane flew like it was on rails!

The flight performance really was amazing, and I was only using a 9 cell! I guess I had heard so many negative things, I wasn't sure what to expect. I can definitely say, the plane passed EVERY hope I had for it.

So, the Mustang stays in my hanger as plane #4! My guess is that it will be brushless and Dx6 converted in early summer.

I gotta say thanks again to Sniper1 for the video inspiration that made me follow through on the desire for this plane. Thanks everyone!

Thanks guys,
Mike
Old 03-28-2007, 03:16 PM
sniper1

Glad to hear your maiden flight was successfull-well done!! After your nice comments i would almost feel responsible if it crashed now! If you apply the tips in this forum you shouldnt go far wrong, and as someone here told me: once you go lipo you never go back. Look forward to hearing more successfull missions. As for my flying, i put an onboard camera on my mustang and then went up against my friends Fw 190 for some air to air dogfight footage. Here are some stills taken from the video. The first picture almost resulted in a mid air collision, but just managed to miss each other. I stayed well back for the rest of the flight as i lost my nerve a little. Im not ready for my Mustangs expiry date just yet! I hope to get better at the close formation flying in time. Enjoy!

Name:	Nl28969.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	651904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55342.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	651905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56259.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	651906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22681.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	651907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fr90959.jpg
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	651908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tj74537.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	651909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb61737.jpg
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	651910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nm42994.jpg
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	651911  

Old 03-30-2007, 12:20 AM
Libertarian

Neat pix Sniper1. What type camera do you use?
As far as colliding with another plane I'd be amazed if it ever happened. I TRIED several times to ram slow flying buzzards and its much harder than you'd think. 3 dimensions for you and 3 for the other plane (or buzzard) plus you're not in the plane make doing that VERY tough! I have some video of a buzzard in one video as I'm doing a roll around him trying to hit him. You see a black spec for a 10th of a second and thats it.

HEY if any of you guys want to convert your planes to brushless and still use all the original Tx and RX etc you can use the Powerzone module like I did.

Here's the info.

Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 3:42 PM
Subject: Hey Tom

I was wondering if you're still selling the Powerzone module to use
brushless motors on rc planes made for brushed motors? I love mine but
some of my friends are wanting the module as well.

Is the price still Paypal send $32 ($29 + $3 shipping)

I sure do. Everything is as you mentioned.

When funds are sent, be sure to include a note on what is being ordered
and the model it will go in.

To contact Thomas see the original thread at:
[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430386.]Powerzone thread[/link]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.