Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Gusto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

The pinion gear is OK, just slid off the shaft. Where do I find upgrades?
Old 04-18-2007, 04:58 PM
AETCBoom4

Contact Horizon Hobby directly to ensure you get a metal pinion replacement. They were backlogged with pinion replacements so contacting them on the phone can ensure you get a metal one. Regarding the running starts, a little up trim, right trim on high rates at full power + a good javelin throw should be able to get her up to speed without a torqe roll. This works good for the PZ P-51 and should work for the FW. I would search FW-190 forums for more info and advice.

The weblink to Horizon Hobby support:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Horizon/ContactHorizon.aspx

HZ part number:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1535

I know it looks like it's plastic, but trust me they have metal replacements now, just be specific and ask for one. I ordered some replacements in Feb and they were metal.

NKAWTG
AETCBOOM4
Old 04-18-2007, 05:01 PM
AETCBoom4

ORIGINAL: Gusto
There seems to be plenty of thrust, I think I knocked the pinion loose by hitting the ground with motor running on high!?

Forgot to mention if you hit the ground with the motor on high you'll definately have a stripped pinion.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:37 PM
gunracer

although the teeth are probably ok, the inside diameter (hole) has increased by a few thousandths of an inch rendering it useless...the plastic pinion gear was a design flaw on pz's part...they realized it and now provide the current models and replacement motors with metal pinion gears...sources for metal replacement pinion gears were posted above...good luck...
Old 04-19-2007, 12:08 AM
Libertarian

Hey AETC.
Using the 4 blade with the Axi BL and E-Flite 40 amp esc the amperage use was still high enough to melt the shrinkwrap off my powerzone module after about 10 flights! It still works though and Thomas is still selling them in case you want to use the stock Rx and Tx to easily switch over to brushless. I never tried using the stock prop with the brushless setup though so I don't know what that really means. I was only getting 6 to 10 minute flights using 1/2 to 3/4 throttle which is less than most guys report on LIPOs but I don't know what amperage that Axi motor uses either. On the other hand the plane is scary fast and full throttle is almost unusable as it's too unstable at 75 mph. Rather than just cut off the motor at the LVC it would slow down with a wavering sound. I have purchased a Typhoon motor and will be using that rather than my Axi outrunner 2808/24 (in case someone would like to buy it and the aluminum E- mount). It was $76.90 new and the E-mount was about $15 I think. I also have 2 NEW UNUSED stock 480 motors Hobby Zone sent me I never used as well as 2 used ones. Make me an offer. You should break those in btw in water (referring to Digger's question I saw).

If you are going to use the FS400 prop you'll need a collet like the 4 mm MJ4703 Hobby Lobby one I use. As its tapered, stepped and too big for the prop a little custom drilling is in oder to use it. If anyone finds a better one let me know.

Thanks Darnold for the welcome back. Yeah I'll send ya'll some pix once I have the new plane done.

Sniper that's a neat place to mount the 5 in 1 camera! I may try that one!

Cruzman I used some coathangar wire doubled up tight to make my own clips for the scoop. I gorillla glued the wire just inside the stock attachment screws that serve as an anchor point for added strength. It does at least 2 things, makes it less likely the wing will pop off at the back (happens a LOT otherwise in hard landings) and keeps the weak plastic ones from snapping off and ruining the scoop. You MAY need to dremel out the pin holes some depending on how well you align them. See pix.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51330.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	667790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17726.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	667791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93321.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	667792  
Old 04-19-2007, 08:46 PM
AETCBoom4

Lib: I replied to your email about the Typhoon motor. You might want to modify the FS-400 to fit the stock gearbox, the reason being I feel that the amp draw will probably be to high with the stock 10x8 prop. Email me and I can get you the specifics. Hoping to get that CF shaft in this weekend. Let me know how she flies. You'll probably beat me to the flight test. The weather here has been to unpredictable.

Later,
Ralph
Old 04-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Libertarian

That's true that I'll have to see how it fits the stock shaft since I'm not using an outrunner this time. Its been way too windy here to fly and I'm waiting on some parts from Red Rocket.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Oregon Craig

ORIGINAL: gunracer

although the teeth are probably ok, the inside diameter (hole) has increased by a few thousandths of an inch rendering it useless...the plastic pinion gear was a design flaw on pz's part...they realized it and now provide the current models and replacement motors with metal pinion gears...sources for metal replacement pinion gears were posted above...good luck...
So, if I order a motor today, it will come automatically with a proper pinion gear?
Old 04-21-2007, 10:23 PM
AETCBoom4

So, if I order a motor today, it will come automatically with a proper pinion gear?
[/quote]

Most of the replacement 480 motors from PZ/HZ still have the plastic pinion (shelf stock), I would contact HZ directly to ensure on getting a motor w/metal pinion or you can just order a replacement metal pinion separately.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:03 AM
darnold

How's the flying N70R? I'm still waiting for the wind to calm down some, of course they don't call it the Windy City for nothing, LOL!
Old 04-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Oregon Craig

The flying is wet! They don't call this the NorthWest for nothing, ha-ha!

Hey, I have to be in Schaumburg for a week in May. Are you near there?
I won't have a plane or any spare time, I was just wondering.
I have classes 8-5 every day at Moto, then out of O'Hare Friday night.
Never been in the state of IL ever, so at least I can check it off of my list.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Oregon Craig

Well, maiden attempt 2, same as the first. Spun pinion.
I have contacted Horizon, but I won't hold my breath.
I think the thing is just too heavy for the anemic motor and battery combo.
If I dumb-thumbed into the ground, that would be one thing. It just seems under-powered or too heavy.
I admit that I have zero hand-launch experience, but that should not matter. If it had a nice power surplus, it
wouldn't need to be thrown like a 50 yard football pass.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:30 AM
fiveliter8

I don't know if this has been done yet, and I'm betting it may have been discussed elswhere in this looooooong thread, but I suffered a stripped pinion in mid flight like many others here. I did the usual and poked around the local hobby shop for a suitable metal pinion to no avail. Dug out my "oh-sh'oo't" box and found a thick-wall aluminum tube used to mount R/C car bodies on and noticed the inside diameter was a perfect interference-fit on the shaft of the stock P-51 motor. Pressed it into place, cut it to length, "milled" the outer diameter down by running the motor while resting a file on it to accept an aluminum pinion gear from my old Tamiya Blackfoot. It is secured with a setscrew and is holding well in static tests. It's only an 11-tooth pinion, but it meshes quite well with the driven gear. I have yet to do flight testing, but hopefully there won't be too much noticeable speed reduction. Hope it holds up until my local shop starts stocking the new motor/metal pinion combo (hopefully just the pinion). Will report on performance as soon as this blasted wind settles down.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Libertarian

Most guys get good results from lock tite or epoxy but roughen up the shaft first with coarse sand paper.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:30 PM
darnold

N70R- Yep, I'm near Schuamburg, in fact I'm in my doctorate program at Argosy U. in Schuamburg. Maybe we can meet up for some coffee and to talk shop.

Regarding the pinion, have you been able to get the newer metal one that incorporates a set screw? I'm thinking that this would solve your problem: when my pinion stripped I CA'ed it back on after roughing the shaft some and it held for a few flights but stripped again after a nice landing when I was doing my customary depletion of the remaining energy in the pack, if I had not done this and simply flown again bad things would have happened on launch!

I eventually just replaced the motor so that it had a new pinion on it and since then I have bought a new frame (only my 1st replacement frame but on my second plane). All of my mishaps have come via a problem with the plane:

ie. either not being set with enough down elevator to do an outside loop, unknown to me = 1st crash and new plane sans electronics, or having the spinner pop off in mid-flight and the plane becoming very erratic = 2nd crash but only needed a new wing, the spun pinion and dead ESC happened when I wasn't flying and simply doing checks, out of 4 bad hand launches I have needed 1 new wing.

Grand Total if I remember correctly: 1 complete plane sans electronics, 1 replacement fusealage, 1 new wing, 1 new motor/pinion, 1 new elevator, 2 new propellers (my expense). One Rx/ESC courtesy Horizon Hobbies great customer service.

The plane can be difficult to hand launch and sometimes the quality consistency is...shall we say, a little lacking, however, the plane has generally been a sheer joy to fly (usually) and when things work properly (the majority of the time) I have really had fun flying her (even though she is the first real RC Plane that I have flown, not including the non-proportional 2 channel F-18 foamy with on/off throttle for climb and full left/right rudder for turning, LOL!).

My last flights in late '06 finally had me flying inverted after getting the elevator throw up to almost the highest setting (one hole from the top), my only flight this spring was almost a disaster due to mis-judging the wind which I later found out was well over 25 mph., of course I just don't learn sometimes as I just played a round of golf this past Sunday in nearly 50mph winds, and no, the round didn't go well at all!!! They don't call it the Windy City (and suburbs) for nothing, LOL!!!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:42 PM
mcboone

Hey Darnold,

I'm curious where you fly. I'm in Downers, and want to maiden my recently upgraded P-51 (Align 2500kV Brushless). My normal flying field has been taken over by the spring soccer clubs, so I'm looking for a new field. I've avoided the club fields because they seem to frown on the electric parkflyers, but I may have to resort to that.

For those looking to go brushless, I found that the Align 400LF motor fits perfectly in the stock gearbox. Add a 12T/32P metal pinion from Traxxas and you're good to go. It was a very simple, pain-free upgrade.

I will admit it was a bit of an accidental upgrade. After the first flight of the season on my Stryker lasted about 2 seconds, I needed to find a home for my brushless setup and found it fit nicely in the P-51. TIP: don't setup your new radio gear on a Friday evening after a couple cocktails, and not double-check your servo directions before flying the next day.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:26 PM
darnold

McBoone- we're about 15 minutes from each other since I live in Bolingbrook! I've been flying at either Jane Adams Middle School's baseball fields or at The Brook Middle School's massive fields, there is the Naperville flying club where they use a designated flying field but they want you to join their club ($35/yr.?) and AMA membership may be additional, all of which I have yet to do. Maybe we can go flying together, I would like to see your modified P-51 as I have yet to make the jump to lipo because I would still have to buy a charger for it. BTW, it sounds like you may know something about RC Cars, if so do you race? Leisure Hours does dirt and asphalt but the majority of the Chicagoland on-road carpet racers go up to His & Hers Hobbies in Kenosha Wi. to run, I run 12th modified.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:08 PM
mcboone

Darnald - Yup...sounds like we're pretty close. I'll have to check out the fields you mentioned. On google maps, they look a little smaller than what I'm used to flying on, but I'll give them a try. I'll send you an email to see if we can't meet up at some point at one of the fields. (Gotta get out soon - I'm curious how the brushless P-51 will fly).
Old 04-27-2007, 08:54 PM
Oregon Craig

Tomorrow morning's weather looks to be good here. I have the pinion re-glued, and I'm going to go for it again

I contacted Horizon last Sunday, they said they would get back to me in 48-72 hours. They did not.
After 72, I tried again, they again said 48-72 hours, but they have not so far. It's been over 48 this time.
Very disappointed with them at this point. I thought people had good luck with their service? Not me!
Old 04-28-2007, 02:32 AM
Libertarian

N7OR
I had great results from Horizon's customer service but I contacted them directly. They always gave me anything I claimed went wrong with the plane such as: one whole plane, 2 motors, and a new wing once.
You should try dealing with Raidentech! I've called them 6 times lately and never reached a person and they NEVER call you back [:@]
Old 04-28-2007, 08:21 AM
tclaridge

N70R,
I have only had good experience with Horizon. I don't understand the "getting back to you" though. They will have you send in any parts to replace them, but I have always gotten back what I wanted. If there was a problem, I called them, and they made good with a shipment in about 3 days! They are very good.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Oregon Craig

I have a job that requires me to work days, so I have been using the contact form on the web page, which essentially sends them an email.
I always get an auto-response that says they will be in touch with me within 48-72 hours, but so far that has turned out to absolutely false.

I am not in a huge rush, but it seems to me that if they are going to offer a way to contact them electronically, and make a promise to respond,
that they should actually do it. That's all.

Now do you understand the "getting back to" me?

I'll post how maiden attempt 3 goes. [X(]
Old 04-28-2007, 12:20 PM
tclaridge

N70R,
I have had only had one email ignored out of about a dozen. But I think their phone support is better. Also, two repair shipments have come back with missing parts, but after a phone call (not an email) I got the items shipped promptly. I have had fast response for missing parts with the email request, but I think you are right, and its easier to ignore email than a person on the phone. Its still the best customer service I have seen on any product, RC or not.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:51 PM
gunracer

concur with the positive comments about horizon hobby...they stand behind their products...
Old 04-28-2007, 08:10 PM
GLbiggles

I would suspect that the metal pinion has the same part number as the plastic one, and the person at the end of email only has a computer stock list to check, so would then be confused and have to contact someone in the actual warehouse, causing delays. It does not excuse no reply to keep you posted on what is happening however.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.