Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Where to buy Lithium packs

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 05:16 PM
jorgeelizondom
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy Lithium packs

I want to try a lithium pack for my Tiger Moth. Two Q's:

What pack configuration (volts, cells) should I use?
where to buy the pack plus a low cost charger?
Old 12-17-2002, 10:00 PM
Bulletproof

Hi!

Try this guy, very good price!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...100369180&rd=1

Good luck!

/Stefan, Sweden
Old 12-18-2002, 11:32 AM
Wright Flyer

George,

Qualcomms, though cheap, are now rather out-dated technology. Lithium Polymer batteries from Kokam are far bette than standard LiIon batteries in terms of capacity/weight, current sourcing and safety.

You can get Kokams from www.fmadirect.com - also read the huge amount about using Kokam lithiums with Tiger Moths on the Ezone. Tres Wright on there has had flights lasting over an hour using Kokams!

Cliff
Old 12-18-2002, 12:40 PM
Bulletproof

Hi!

Outdated is a bit too strong to say, if you consider price/performance it's a very good deal. Li-Po needs a much more expensive charger too.
But I agree that Li-Po are better!

/Stefan
Old 12-18-2002, 01:08 PM
Steve Lewin

Originally posted by Bulletproof
Li-Po needs a much more expensive charger too.
But I agree that Li-Po are better!

/Stefan
I don't know where you got that idea. Li-ion and Li-poly use exactly the same charging methods. They're basically the same chemistry in different packaging.

Steve
Old 12-18-2002, 02:05 PM
Bulletproof

What I meant was the specific package that I pointed to at E-bay.
$35 for batteries and a charger including shipping is dead cheap!

/Stefan
Old 12-19-2002, 04:10 PM
Chic
My Feedback: (19)

This is so simple it will scare you! Go to www.ezonemag.com and search the classifieds for guys selling the surplus LI-on 2 cell packs for cell phones. You can get the packs for usually $4-$8,. I went to a pawn shop and asked the guy to go through the box of old cell phone chargers and found three LI-ON cell phone wall chargers and bought them for $2 each. I know that Motorola, Qualcom & Sony all put LI-ON batteries in their older model phones. Look for chargers in those brands that have a 8.4 volt output in about 400mah (Sony's are usually 8.2v) The qualcom chargers that I found are model # TAACA0101 and the motorola was #SPN4638A. These chargers are automatic and shut off at 8.4 v (2-3.7v cells) and will not overcharge the cells. Just cut off the phone connecter and solder on your battery plug.....same with the cells, open the packs, take out the cells and solder them up into a 2 cell pack with your leads and plug. I attach my packs tomy GWS Lite Stick with velcro and have flown the little plane for over an hour just cruising arround at half throttle and thermaling. I still had power to continue but got bored and brought her down! I also have an article/schmatic that I got out of Microflight magazine that shows how to build a super simple automatic lithium charger for 1 to 3 cell packs and will cost you a few $$$ to build. I went to a surplus electronics store and bought enough stuff to build 4 of then for about $10. You can get all the stuff at Radio Shack also. They really work great! email me at [email protected] and I will email it to you. Hope this helps! Chic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	41839_1127.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	26050  
Old 12-22-2002, 04:32 PM
Epoxy Cup

Default Batts

Hello George

I am useing two Kokum 1020 from B-P-P. They have a great sight good price and lots of advice as well as a pictorial on the web how to construct the pack. They also sell a simple lighter plug in chg. for 6.95 if you dont want to uinvest in a high end one right away. Flying my moth about 23min flights.
http://www.b-p-p.com/kokam1020.htm