Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

For those with an F-27B stryker

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

For those with an F-27B stryker

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 07:32 PM
yoster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those with an F-27B stryker

You guys might already know this.. but I'll say it anywhere. I own a typhoon 3d as well as an F-27B stryker. I decided to try the 9-cell from the typhoon in the stryker using the striker's lipo prop. The battery fit perfectly and the plane flew like a dream. Very impressive power.

So, if you don't have a lipo charger but want an added addition of speed (good speed.. seriously) without going lipo, check into the 9-cell packs for the parkzone planes. They are commonly found for about 22 bucks at local hobbyshops. Just make sure to change to lipo prop, but keep the speed controller in nimh mode.

Hope that benefits someone.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Gryphon

Default RE: For those with an F-27B stryker

I agree with you that the motor and speed control can take it.

They can actually take a little more. As in with a bigger prop for even more performance.

I have 3 cell lipoly so, my voltage of 11.1 Volts is close to yours, The prop I have on my Stryker is an APC 6X4. It will draw 15 Amps.
I am not sure if your Nimh packs would like to be full throttle the whole flight or not. If they get too hot, then just go full throttle in short bursts up to 20-30 seconds and then cruise for a while before doing it again.

Now this takes the Stryker's 480 motor to the edge, if you fly full throttle until the 2100 mah pack is empty the motor does come down hot.
After many weekends of this, I felt guilty and added a couple of heat sinks. It helped.
APC 6X5.5 will burn your motor on 11Volts.

Bottom line, APC 6X4 will give you a lot better performance in my opinion. prop is $2.50 and a prop adapter for 2.3mm shaft is about $5 or less. Not a bad idea to provide additional cooling for the ESC and battery.

Now since I do know that the ESC can handle even a little bit more, for $29 from hobby lobby you can get a Graupner 6304L motor(480). L means left hand, which really means reverse rotation, same as the Stryker. With a one minute modification of the motor mount, it fits on there. The motor mount loops need modification. The loop where the 2 bolts go need to be snipped on the very top of the arc, so a thicker motor can fit in. Cut off the other loop, but place a small section of the cut off loop under the motor in the same area after installing the motor(to support the motor and ensure that it is still straight). Zip tie the motor down over the area where you cut off the loop. You can pass the zip tie through the rib or go under the motor moount. Works great. Move the battery very slightly forward to re-balance the plane.

Motor Only: rated for 8-10 cells
GR6304L SPEED 480 L, 7.2V, Reverse
Rotation ...... $ 28.90

After I came up with this idea, my buddy did it on his Stryker, He would leave me in the dust. Part throttle he was faster and climbed harder. He drew about 17 Amps if I remember right, but he would never fly full throttle for long periods of time on his 11.1V lipoly pack. This combo with APC 6X4 takes the ESC to the edge. Make sure to provide plenty of cooling for your ESC, try opening the two air inlets and have the openings point at the ESC, I do this using increasing larger drills (by hand) and I finish off with a 1/2".

Have fun

Gryphon
Old 05-19-2006, 12:24 PM
yoster

Awesome info! Thanks! I like being able to use a nice upgrade while still using the sonic combat module. On that motor, is there a prop I could use on it besides the one mentioned that will still yield better performance than the stock 480, but keep the esc cooler?
Old 05-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Gryphon

I assume you are talking about the Graupner 6304L motor.

Yes, there are several options.
As you go down the list the Amps will drop a little by little.
APC 5.5 diameter X 4.5 Pitch
APC 5.25X4.75
APC 5X5 (you will notice a drop in climbing power, but hey if you are happy with the climbing why not use less amps, may even have the most speed, you need a radar gun).

Try these, By the way I had forgot that initially my buddy started with the 5.25X4.75. He loved it. I think this would be the best starting place.
Make sure that you are running the hatches that come with the F-27B (they have vents). If not cut your own to make them look the same, takes under 5 minutes. But if I were you I would definitly open up those two air inlets on the side of the body and have them direct air into the body. On the last step if you enlarge it gradually to 1/2", be carefull as to not break the other lip on the edge of the opening. I used a hobby knife to open the very front as in order to make it look better. Make sure to start the drilling process in the center of the opening, so you don't run out of room(on the edge) when you move up (gradually)to the bigger drills( I turned the drills by hand).

Have fun
Gryphon

P.S. Radio Shack has had their radar guns on clearance, I am not sure if they sold out in the last month or not. Bushnell radar gun accurate to +/- 1 MPH. It is being sold for an unbelievable price of $75.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:02 AM
yoster

YEah.. the radio shack by my house is closing and everything is 40% off.. i bought a grip of items today.. unfortunately.. that radar gun was out.. it was going for 45 bucks!!!
Old 05-20-2006, 04:44 AM
Gryphon

I just checked radioshack.com and it said that is discontinued and it is only being sold in stores., Price is $75.00

I'm glad your local store sold it for less, too bad you were not able to get one.

They introduced it at $100, and while I was thinking about it, it went up to $150 and stayed there for a long time, came back to $100, I jumped on it and bought one for $100(for my brother) and next week they got clearanced to $75.00.

But let me tell you, it is a little tough coming towards yourself at 80-100+ miles an hour 5 ft above ground and in a perfect straight line. Rudders would help a lot, but stryker does not have one. My brother is a better flyer but without a rudder he can not line up well, and I actually have a better chance of lining up for a reading (after a few tries).

With my next upgrade I think I will be hitting about 125+ mph with 1100 Watts going into my next motor ( will place a post in a month or so). I am actually thinking about using my corvette with the top off and with a help of a friend matching speed with the Stryker.

There are so many reason as to why I shouldn't do it, but at this point I am just thinking about it. I already had a crash ( 5-6 weeks ago) at about 70 MPH while lining up for a radar reading(unbelievably there was only less than $25 damage to the body parts because I was so close to the ground). It took 4 people over 10 minutes to find my 3S2P 4200 mAh $165.00 TP battery, lucky there was no damage. Next time I will not be so lucky, especially at higher speeds. I don't want fake, high reading, while coming down from a dive towards myself. I want to be coming in level from a little ways out for a true level flight speed reading.

Later, have fun every one.

Gryphon

Old 05-20-2006, 08:41 AM
lseguy

Just an FYI...these radar guns are sold new on the web and ebay all day long for $72 or so...

Do an ebay search on "bushnell radar" and you will see the hits.