Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 03:30 AM
russ_hillis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone

forgot to ask, when I pulled the propeller to re-install my tuck taped cowl I noticed the prop nut was loose. How tight should it be?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:07 PM
GTX SlotCar

ORIGINAL: russ_hillis
forgot to ask, when I pulled the propeller to re-install my tuck taped cowl I noticed the prop nut was loose. How tight should it be?
Russ, you want the prop nut tight. When you're gliding it won't make much difference, but under power it flies better when it's tight.
It looks like it wasn't too windy, but usually there's at least a little breeze. I noticed that your failed attempts to take-off were in one direction, but when you hand launched, you threw it in a different direction. Always take-off or launch directly into the wind. With those small wheels, you might want to hand launch unless you're on some pretty packed down gravel or on pavement.
Check your prop shaft to make sure it's straight. Just run it and look and feel for vibrations or a wobbling shaft. When you nosed it in and broke your cowl, it might have bent the shaft a little. It's worth checking.
For the most part you did good keep some altitude. Try to fly 3 mistakes high. You'd be surprised how much sky some people waste. Start by getting up high, do a few wide circles, and land; then do the same with circles in the other direction. It you do this your first 10 flights, you'll put off the urge to try something fancy and stupid that will certainly end in a crash.
I assume that Brenda doesn't fly. I'll also assume that video recording isn't her hobby. In that case, she did a good job and you're lucky to have a good sport like her around.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:38 PM
GTX SlotCar

Hey guys, I got my rebuilt Hawk Sky flying. It took me forever. I tried painting the fuselage silver, but it wasn't the same paint I used before and I could tell it was going to peel off. So, I took it off with a Scotch Bright pad, and that took a long time. On my first maiden, the motor started sputtering so I had to go back to the office. It turned out to be the ESC. I had installed it the way they do at the factory, with the fuse in half it's easy to mount , but hard to change. Still, a couple hours later and I had a new ESC installed and I was back at the field.
I had 3 batteries, all 1800mAh, as in the attached picture. #1 was an old, 140 gram 12C that had moderate use and was only charged to 4.1v per cell. #2 was the fist one I flew; a 20C Esky at 160 grams. Old but hardly used. And finally, #3 is the one that came with the plane but was damaged in the crash. It's 15C and 140 grams. Not much use, but it's had a hard life. I call it my 4th of July LiPo because it hisses and sparks like fireworks. It's a bit scary when I'm charging it, but it looks really cool flying at night.

I got 20 minutes on #2 and that brought it down to 3.76v per cell. On #1 I got 31 minutes, also at 3.76v per cell. That really surprised me. The landing gear and keychain cam were removed for that flight and that could have made some difference. Also, half of the flight was at 1/2 throttle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29999.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1455976  
Old 06-20-2010, 07:40 PM
GTX SlotCar

Just in case there's any doubt, I was kidding about flying and charging battery #3. Yes, it was in the crash and it still has a charge, but I haven't charged it or flown with it. I just haven't disposed of it yet
Old 06-20-2010, 09:02 PM
russ_hillis

GTX, thanks for the feed back. There wasn't any wind last night, so things went about as good as a crash can go Yeah, I asked for the 2 1/2" du-bros but kinda got the run around. The plane now has more tuck tape on it than the last tywrap job I did. I had some good flights today but I got over ambitious when it was windier than my skill level (aka nil). That resulted in a fairly large mishap when I had to choose between cutting power or wondering how far it went before the battery died; I had pretty good attitude but the plane was being blown away from me. Ended up nosing it in on some pretty hard ground. Ordering a new transmission, prop, struts & cowl tomorrow.

Name:	Zx71094.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	1456053  
Old 06-20-2010, 09:26 PM
FirebirdCdr2

GTX,
I'm glad you got your plane flying.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:14 AM
GTX SlotCar

Russ - it looks kinda good with that red nose job.

ORIGINAL: FirebirdCdr2
GTX,
I'm glad you got your plane flying.
Thanks. It's nice to have it going. I've still got 3 other planes that need a little work, including my SC that needs wing struts and repair to the float mounts after I tried taking off from the pond and crashed into a big ME. I have video but it's too embarrassing to show. So, instead I'll show this Hawk Sky video from yesterday

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJnc6kIhY3c[/youtube]

Old 06-21-2010, 12:10 PM
russ_hillis

ORIGINAL: GTX SlotCar

Russ - it looks kinda good with that red nose job.
Yeah, I think I'll paint the plane red so the tuck tape doesn't show as easily The cam you're using in the video, is that one of those cheap keychain cams?

Was also wondering how the xport works. Is there a pin out diagram anywhere? Does it deliver voltage to the pins or just close a circuit? Also are there plugs available, sure looks like a 4 pin computer power plug.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:37 PM
GTX SlotCar

Yes, it's a keychain cam.
I never had the xport so I can't help you with that.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:01 AM
Sinai

Supercub float flying is fun.Here's videoand pics of the Supercubon floats yesterday at sunset on Folsom Lake in CA. Choppy water, dogs, wind, and people made me nervous to fly. But I was glad I did.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xAGsuDHut4[/youtube]

Name:	Ig11443.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1456812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39983.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1456813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61160.jpg
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1456814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70027.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1456815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44451.jpg
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	1456816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69209.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1456817  
Old 06-22-2010, 10:38 AM
GTX SlotCar

ORIGINAL: Sinai
...Here's video and pics of the Supercub on floats yesterday....
Beautiful.
Well, I found out that it taxies on the water a while before it takes off (at least mine did) and steering won't happen at low speed but it's quick as can be at high speed. It's a long story, but I ended up crashing into myself [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
I had an APC 11x5.5 prop which flies nice, but for my next attempt I'll use a stock 10x8 float prop. That'll take that out of the equation and see if I have better results. And if it really comes right down to it, I'll duck sooner next time.

(Was the boat in your car?)

Old 06-23-2010, 12:00 AM
russ_hillis

great video sinai, it's been windy the last couple of days but luckily I've discovered FMS and I happen to be MR. CHEAP so it looks like it'll work great for me
Old 06-23-2010, 10:41 AM
gws_003

ORIGINAL: Sinai

Supercub float flying is fun. Here's video and pics of the Supercub on floats yesterday at sunset on Folsom Lake in CA. Choppy water, dogs, wind, and people made me nervous to fly. But I was glad I did.

Awesome Sinai, I want some floats too....Oh, I have to wait for the SC to come down out of a pine tree in the back yard.....where's those storms when you need them.....[&o]
Old 06-23-2010, 03:12 PM
GTX SlotCar

Bill, I didn't know yours was stuck in a tree. Too bad. Any rescue attempts?
Old 06-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Sinai

yeah, I didn't realize that had happened either   What happened??
Old 06-23-2010, 09:25 PM
FirebirdCdr2

GTX,

Nice View and flight.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:27 PM
FirebirdCdr2

Sinai,

That was nice high wind. I dont know if i could have done that. I probably would have nose my cub into the water. Nice Video!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:05 AM
gws_003

I've had to retrieve my SC out of trees on several occasions, this last one is up pretty high.I'll wait and see,if she don't come down on her own by this weekend I'll get her.Hopefully just a battery lost.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:42 AM
FirebirdCdr2

GWS,

If the wind is blowing where you are like it's blowing where I am. Then you should have your cub down in no time. I really like to fly today, but nature decided it wants to have wind on a 90 degree day. Guess I will be using my flight sim today Or maybe I'll get Todd the Surfer out and go to the Pond. Hope you get your plane back.

Firebird
Old 06-24-2010, 12:18 PM
milehighjc

Im curious about how much wind folks are typically comfortable flying in.    Here at 5000 feet, the cub seems pretty comfortable in 5-7 mph winds... and Ive flown ok in > 10mph winds.   High differential gusts seem to be a problem.    I had one day where they it got up around 15 while I was flying , and I put it on the ground as quickly as I could, packed and went home!

I dont have a wind meter (yet), but I check the weather underground history page, and it shows a very nice graphic that you can see the current stats (wind speed, gusts, direction) with data points every 15 minutes... nice for watching trends.   You can also see history (not sure how far back it goes, but much further than Ive ever looked)

Havent gotten it stuck in a tree .......... YET ..........   

jc
Old 06-24-2010, 06:07 PM
russ_hillis

ORIGINAL: milehighjc

Im curious about how much wind folks are typically comfortable flying in.
Well Milehigh, when I 1st got the plane I figured ahh what's a bit of wind? I figure glueing things back together is just part of flying but this fixing major parts after every trip out gets really tired really fast. So now I'm doing the FMS simulator to get my brain wrapped around the control stick inversion issue and it keeps me from flying when it's too windy. I know the simulator isn't a perfect replacement for the real thing but at least I'm not exploding plastic & foam all over the pasture because I'm too impatient and it's too windy.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Coltsfan278

Hi all. My stock rx/esc went out mid flight in my hz sc lipo today. Lost motor power but was able to steer it down and bounced off someones roof. Anyway, I am converting to spektrum. I have an old crashed eflite blade cx2 heli that has an ar6100 rx that i plan on using. My questions are...

1.) Can I get away with using the 2 servos on that heli as well? part# eflrs60 (6 gram servos)

2.) I need to purchase a basic esc from a lhs tomorrow...any ideas on type/kind?

3.) I will be buying a dx6i in a month or so but I should be able to use the LP5DSM tx from my cx2 heli for now, right?

4.) Is the AR6100 safe to use in the sc. Should I worry that it will be incased in foam with a wing above it and a 3s lipo under it. Any range problems?
Old 06-24-2010, 10:36 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

not sure about your other questions, but I would beware of range problems. Heli radios and recievers typically have shorter range than those meant for planes.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:11 PM
GTX SlotCar

The AR6100 will work fine. The 6 gram servos are a little small. You might consider 9 grams.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Glenstr

Hi all, new RC flyer here, have about 1 hour on my increasingly beat up Super Cup LP and loving it.

Iwant to get a couple of more batteries, this is the one that came with my plane, this is what I was thinking of getting.

However, the coworker that got me interested in RC flying says he buys all his batteries from hobbyking online, so I did a bit of searching and found this battery, which looks pretty good, especially pricewise. What I don't know is if I'll need connection adaptors etc, since it does not say what kind of connections it has, but the charging one that shows looks the same.

If I get this battery, am Ilooking at getting another charger and/or connections on the SC?

Any other SC users use these batteries? Any other suggestions?

thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.