Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:28 PM
MAX HEADSPEED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone

Well Done.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:36 AM
pbruce09

Way to go,Sinai...making a little banner tow look easy!

Something Inoticed in your video makes me wonder if my Drop Module isn't really working well.You tugged on that thing pretty good there without it snapping open. Mine is so lightly attached that half the time, the drop module lets go before Ieven hit the button! Hmmm...must be a poorly made electro-magnet in mine or something. Oh well...it'll work the other half the time!

Cheers!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Darkseacret

Nice banner vid
Old 07-08-2010, 10:01 AM
phaetn

Bought the Super Cub about a week ago and have been having good fun.

I had previously owned a Skyfly (that eventually got lost in a tree and then stolen when I went back to get it after buying an extra long aluminum pole used for taking ice off roofs). I could do touch and gos easily with the Skyfly, as well as rolling take offs and decent landings.

Anyhow, the Supercub is definitely bigger (much increased wing span, much larger control surfaces) and took some getting used to. A few light crashes on the maiden flight, probably due to too high wind conditions. Probably two light crashes on second flight (also gusty); third flight no crashes and a few good landings and then hand launches again; fourth flight yesterday morning was great and I practised a couple of good landings I think I finally have a good handle on the plane. I think I'll try some light loops and stuff soon. Baby steps, baby steps!! I want to resist being over-confident and ending up with a bunch of broken foam...

A few repairs required along the way: had to fix a crack on one side of the fuselage and also glue down the horizontal stab as the plugs from the vertical stab never fit in that well and hence the whole horiz/vert stab assembly was all a bit loose. All fixed now.

I think I might have bent the prop shaft, however. The prop cover actually got stuck on the plastic cowl at one point during one of the crashes. I freed it up, but I think things might still be bent. I tried to get the cover off but couldn't does it just pull off? How is the prop held on? Should I just bend it back with pliers?

Secondly, any advice for keeping the landing gear in place? It never fit all that well into the foam receiving slot (it always seemed a bit flaky to me or at least after some crashes!!). I've now wedged a bit of cardboard in there to try and keep things tight as even on a decent landing last flight the gear collapsed. Should I avoid a more comprehensive solution to really keep it fixed in position as it's best to have the landing gear fail and give rather than something else?

Thanks in advance for answering some newbie questions.

Cheers,
phaetn
Old 07-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Belemnoid

Prop shafts are cheap, but a new one. A bent one can really screw things up and might even cause a catastrophic event.

The spinner just pulls off. After that you can reach the nut the holds the prop on.

The landing gear needs to be squeezed to really get into place. Once you squeeze it you should be able to slide it all the way into the slot for a tight fit.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:15 PM
russ_hillis

Bigger wheels will help if you're flying stock. Some people use the duBro 2.5" superlites - they work alright but you have to grind the hubs down on them to get them to fit. Maybe try searching for super cub upgrades on youtube, someones bound to have a wheel upgrade video on there (in fact I'm sure of it). Make sure you put clear packing tape on the leading edges and tape around the battery box opening. Also some packing tape around the front of the tail as it's weak there. Other than that - glue is your friend!

Now get out there and have some fun with it. I sure am. Here's my 1st flight from last night...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OjuQOBE4zA[/youtube]
Old 07-08-2010, 01:41 PM
MAX HEADSPEED

Here's a link to a site a fellow Supper Cub owner has put together. It's a series of some of the best "HOW TO" videos available on the subject of making your HH Super Cub even more SUPER.
I've employed or expanded on many of these improvements in the building of my 'UBER' Cub and I'm very happy that I did as I'm sure many of you will enjoy also. It's some great stuff. Don't forget to leave a feedback for the guy though to let him know of your appreciation
So please do yourself, you wallet, your sanity and your CUB a big fat juicy favor and check out this site.

...LUV THE CUB

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeCubFlyer

Here's my 'UBER CUB' in it's USN 'For Unofficial Use Only' scheme.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22998.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1465102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19483.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1465103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76485.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	1465104  
Old 07-08-2010, 04:22 PM
deb0650

I just bought a sc at lunch and put it together. I also bought Dave Brown 2.5" treaded lite wheels and they fit fine for me. Just screwed off the axle nuts, swapped the wheels, and screwed the nuts back on. By the way, I did the same with my mini-sc and put the sc wheels on it. Kind of big but it's ready for the tundra! The wheels on both are a little sloppy but not bad and I'll live with it for now, and I'm pretty anal about stuff so that says something. I also went on Amazon and ordered a canon 940 compact camera. It's extremely small and features 720p HD video. My plan is to cut out a hole in the side of the sc large enough to get a good view out and fab up a camera mount inside the fuselage to mount the camera so that it will shoot slightly down. If I put it in a shallow turn it should get very good video. There is a guy on youtube that did the same with a sc and compact camera and his video looks great. I live next to an airport so I may get up into the pattern and get some film of our fellow flyers on final. Cool stuff.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:26 PM
MAX HEADSPEED

Please be carefull about flying around an active airport. There are VERY STRICT rules established by the FAA that restict flying RC aircraft in these areas so be aware of that. Heaven forbid your love and enthusiasim for this hobby causeses a catasstophy that could have been avoided.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:46 PM
deb0650

In that case stay tuned to CNN! Seriously, every flying field in socal is within a mile or two of an airport. Having spent many years flying cessnas and pipers I'm pretty confident no pilot will ever see my little sc. Hell, it's hard enough to pick out real traffic. But I will be careful.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:41 PM
MAX HEADSPEED

There's a thread on this forum. tha pertains to this topic..
Laws and Rules around airports @http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_12...tm.htm#1228218
Looking forward to seeing some of your vids.

LUV THE CUB
Old 07-09-2010, 10:35 AM
deb0650

Just returned from the maiden flight. Boy, the sc flies smooth. What a piece of cake. I practiced setting it in a shallow turn at altitude and it could have flown all day all by itself. I actually set my transmitter on the ground and watched it fly. Nice plane. I bought it specifically to use for aerial photos and video so I want it to set up in a nice shallow turn, and it does. After that I was getting cocky and I flew my Trojan. I've only been flying for about three weeks but was feeling confident so I was doing loops, inverted fly bys, and my first inverted loop that I I rolled out of and into a high speed pass. Since the inverted loop was behind me I kind of half spun and looked up and behind to watch the plane coming at me. I thought I was pretty *****in' then as the plane flew over me (back to front) it augured in BIG TIME. Dang, didn't pull up enough. The gorilla glue is drying as I type and it should be ready again tomorrow. I have my 109 waiting for it's maiden but I'm still a little intimidated by it. May try it tomorrow if I'm feeling on my game.

Name:	Tr51489.jpg
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1465420  
Old 07-09-2010, 11:17 AM
MAX HEADSPEED

Whoa! Those riots in Oakland have really screwed up your state's gravitational field. All your stuff is sticking to the walls!
Ya I agree that the T28 is a great flying model. Don't be afraid of the 109. Just watch it on turns and you'll love this plane just like you enjoy the Corsair. Sure there's a little difference but it's because it is a different plane. Wing loading, AUW at performance are all factors that make the 109 unique. It is imperative, especially with this bird that you ensure the CG is correct and that the two halves of the horizontal stab are level with each other and the control surfaces have the same amount of deflection. You're going to love this bird. Good luck.
ENJOY YOU MENAGERIE and we'll be here waiting for those videos.

LUV THE CUB

'Gopher' flying in here in Connecticut. 'Found one!'

Name:	Qo39415.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	1465435  
Old 07-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Glenstr

ORIGINAL: deb0650

I just bought a sc at lunch and put it together. I also bought Dave Brown 2.5" treaded lite wheels and they fit fine for me. Just screwed off the axle nuts, swapped the wheels, and screwed the nuts back on. By the way, I did the same with my mini-sc and put the sc wheels on it. Kind of big but it's ready for the tundra!The wheels on botharea little sloppy but not bad and I'll live with it for now, and I'm pretty anal about stuff so that says something. I also went on Amazon and ordered a canon 940 compact camera. It's extremely small and features 720p HD video. My plan is to cut out a hole in the side of the sc large enough to get a good view out and fab up a camera mount inside the fuselage to mount the camera so that it will shoot slightly down. If I put it in a shallow turn it should get very good video. There is a guy on youtube that did the same with a sc and compact camera and his video looks great. I live next to an airport so I may get up into the pattern and get some film of our fellow flyers on final. Cool stuff.
I'd be curious to see a pic of your cam mount once you have it done. I have been debating taping on my kodak p&s on my SC once I get better at flying it, but I want the camera kind of forward/down facing. Iwas thinking of tucking it in between the landing gear if possible. Mine shoots pretty decent 720p video, I was also looking at the flip mino's because of their light weight, but not sure if they are the best design for taping to an RC plane. I may wait and splurge on one of the more specialized 720p helmet cams.

In any case, like to see your video's once you get them done!

Old 07-09-2010, 04:05 PM
deb0650

As soon as Santa Claus (UPS man) shows up I'll get it together.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

Quick question...? After my second broken cowl does anyone make like a carbon fiber cowl? Fat chance Im betting.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:10 AM
Glenstr

As soon as Santa Claus (UPS man) shows up I'll get it together.
Iwas looking for the cam you mentioned while at Staples and a couple of other stores today, but didn't see any. However the Kodak zi3 was there, and looked pretty impressive. Being that it's waterproof is a plus too, since some of the video I want to shoot is going to be over the water and water takeoffs &landings. I haven't had a chance to read up on it yet though, but whay I would like to see o these cam's is adjustable orientation within the camera. Since this cam is meant to be held verticle like a flip, turning it sideways (probably better for flying) would also put the video sideways, and the ability to change it before processing would be cool.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:35 AM
Glenstr

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Quick question...? After my second broken cowl does anyone make like a carbon fiber cowl? Fat chance Im betting.
I just returned from a trip to the city and while I was there grabbed a couple of extra cowels, but that's a good question. Also grabbed a couple of extra props - althought I've found that the bent one's Istraightened by hand seem to spin pretty true when I try them on a nail - anyone re-used a bent prop after hand straightnening it? Also grabbed a couple extra sets of struts, and my floats that Iordered were in, be awhile before I'm confident enought to try those babies though..

Old 07-10-2010, 09:14 AM
deb0650

I didn't realize the parts replacements would soon surpass the price of the plane! I'm probably on my fifth cowl and have two more ready to go. A wing is in the rafters and a fuselage on order. Second elevator. Oh well, I intended the Trojan to be my training plane and it is! I'm also stocking up on parts for the corsair and 109.

As for my camera, the Canon 940 is extremely small with a good lense and video capability. I want to use it for aerials, mostly in Baja. I have a little campo pretty far south of the border and it is frequented by whale sharks in the summer, and they primarily are surface oriented. I toyed with the waterproof concept but if this thing gets anywhere near the salt water it will be history (corrosion). I'm brainstorming various ways to recover it at sea, though. I have some squid crowders (a big net strung between two long poles), that I may set up in the rod holders and fly the plane into it for recovery. That way I can get aerial video while I'm out fishing. Now that would be cool...aerial video of catching a marlin! In HD, no less.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Glenstr

I didn't realize the parts replacements would soon surpass the price of the plane! I'm probably on my fifth cowl and have two more ready to go. A wing is in the rafters and a fuselage on order. Second elevator. Oh well, I intended the Trojan to be my training plane and it is! I'm also stocking up on parts for the corsair and 109.

As for my camera, the Canon 940 is extremely small with a good lense and video capability. I want to use it for aerials, mostly in Baja. I have a little campo pretty far south of the border and it is frequented by whale sharks in the summer, and they primarily are surface oriented. I toyed with the waterproof concept but if this thing gets anywhere near the salt water it will be history (corrosion). I'm brainstorming various ways to recover it at sea, though. I have some squid crowders (a big net strung between two long poles), that I may set up in the rod holders and fly the plane into it for recovery. That way I can get aerial video while I'm out fishing. Now that would be cool...aerial video of catching a marlin! In HD, no less.
yeah, Ijust finished transferring all the gut's etc. over to a new fuselage, picked up a new wing last week as well. The only part of the body original on the plane now is the tail assembly, and Igot a freebie elevator from the HS yesterday because the guy had one out of the package and it was slightly warped, so he said just to put it under a book for a couple of days and it would be fine.

The squid crowder sounds like a good idea, I was thinking something like that as well because I want to get some aerial video of us out on the lake, and was also wondering about the best way to retrieve the plane. However I'll see if I'm good enough with the SC to use the floats, and hopefuly it'll have enough jam to utilize a small cam as well as the floats. I'm also thinking about picking up an Easystar pusher plane, they seem to be pretty suited for forward looking cam's and are also pretty tough planes. There is some excellent FPV videos taken with these as well.

I ordered this camera for my initial aerial videos, and am thinking about getting one of these, but they are pretty pricey.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:52 PM
GTX SlotCar

You could consider a couple keychain cams off eBay for 8.99 each including shipping. I think Hobby King has them for $15 which is a pretty good deal since theirs are 640 pixel wide instead of a stretched 720, and it comes with a better USB connector and I think a 2GB card. Double the price as eBay, but still cheap enough.
Also consider a Dynam Hawk Sky instead of the Easystar. It's cheaper and has the BL motor.
I've attached pictures of my hat cam, my "cockpit" cam (which draws power from the Rx) and one of my painted Hawk Sky's.
Below are videos from the hat cam and cockpit cam.

Hat Cam
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GxuIkpfR2w[/youtube]

Cockpit Cam
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua0Yt5UjRug[/youtube]

Name:	Vt57357.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1465811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57982.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	1465812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55021.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1465813  
Old 07-12-2010, 10:03 AM
deb0650

Oh well...scratch one super cub with five flights. It is sitting way up high in a tree that is impossible to climb and it is buried deep in the branches. Dang...I could swear I had enough altitude to clear it. Lesson learned. Off to the lhs to buy another. This hobby is becoming expensive!
Old 07-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Belemnoid

Just pay a teenager to climb up and get it....that's what I did.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:52 PM
deb0650

I drove past it twice and considered that, but it is REALLY tall and the limbs are at least ten feet off the ground and then eight feet apart all the way up. It is not a pretty tree. I'll visit regularly and see if the wind will help any. SC number two has been ordered.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:03 PM
milehighjc

Flew the cub tonight, somewhat aggressively - flying to music. Probably 25% of the flight at WOT while looping, stall turns etc.

A little more than halfway through my second 1300maH battery, I noticed the motor starting to stutter anytime I had the throttle over 50-60%. Figuring it wasnt likely to get better, I landed right away. Tested it at the field with the first battery (which had about 10 mins on it), and it did the same thing. Runs smooth below 50%, stutters above that.

Here is vid :javascript:mox();
I cant see anything overly wrong... took the cowl off, looked at all the gears etc. Mount is solid, wires still seem to be soldered tightly. There were no hard landings or anything that I would suspect of causing damage.

Could I be overheating the motor? ESC failing?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Sorry if anyone is reading here and over at RC Groups, posted this there too. Trying to figure out if I can fix before morning, would love to float fly then, but not if the motor has problems.
jc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.