Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 12:17 PM
9x6SuperCub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone

I can't help you with all of what you wanted to know, but i can help you with your nose-cone problem. Mine is just stuck on with a white, sticky substance, that you can remove, and once you stick the cone back on angain, it sticks, so if you can get hold of something like that, it should do.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:15 AM
downunderdog

Boy, it was a while ago that I did that... but I think the motor winding wire did work fine. If I recall correctly, usually strung 3 LED's plus a small resistor - maybe 39 ohms? - in series (the resistor to limit current... it only takes a small part of the voltage because the normal currents through LED's are so low, but if you over-voltage the LED's they tend to increase in current non-linearly... so if you have too much voltage across too few LED's in series the current can spike up and burn them out if you don't put a resistor in). I use 3S batteries and the LED's usually take around 3 volts to power them, so I'd hook 3 in series from the plug that is between the battery and the ESC. The led's run on the order of 20 or 30 milliamps and motor windings for even smallish motors take multiple amps, so the current through the wiring isn't a problem. I think the biggest problem I had putting the circuits together was making good contact - getting the enamel scraped off of the motor winding wire (not impossible, but it did take an effort to get good connections where I soldered the LED leads to the wiring).

Here's a link I just found to something that can help you determine the appropriate resistor values to put in series with your LED strings:

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

I don't think I used that site when I was designing my nav light circuits, but it looks like it gives you reasonable suggestions for circuit configurations and resistor values. You can usually run lower resistance resistors, and the lights get brighter when you do... but you also run the risk of burning the LED's out (but they're cheap anyway).

Good luck with your Night Vapor!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:04 AM
fasterthanyours

For all you guys using the Key Chain Cameras or with smart phones I saw this today

$14.99 + FREE SHIPPING
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-20208572-L04A
Old 12-13-2011, 02:28 PM
XFEDEX

Downunderdog, I sent you a reply about leds on my GWS stick but stupid me I think I deleted it. Let me know if you got my reply about the strip leds. Tim
Old 12-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Sinai

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9kKrXJ2e6c&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Old 12-14-2011, 06:58 PM
downunderdog

No, I never saw it. If you have a question you could just post it in here, as I'm sure there's others who can contribute more than I can!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Saburo Sakai

Ouch! What'd Super Cub hit? Super Cub put a lot of hurt on a man, man not careful . Super Cub don't care. Super Cub does what he please.
Good to see Sinai back. More Super Cub doing whatSuper Cub wants.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Voodoo101
My Feedback: (1)

Wanted

I'm looking for a SCLP battery box. The part that fits up inside the fuselage. Iwant to try a new battery arangement and my battery box is already modified. So I"m hoping to find someone who has a fulelage that has been damaged beyound repair but still has a good battery box.

The folks at Horizon Hobby could not help. They don't sell that part. And I don't really want to buy a whole new fuselage in order to get the battery box.

Thanks guys,

Bert
Old 12-16-2011, 11:01 AM
russ_hillis

Good one Sinai! Loved it! As we do these vid's we get used to hacking out all the boring parts don't we!
Old 12-17-2011, 05:07 PM
FirebirdCdr2

OMG!!!! BOXES FROM HORIZON HOBBY JUST SHOW UP ON MY DOOR STEP!!!!!! I was given instruction from the Mrs that i was not to touch them. Can't wait to open that box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Old 12-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Sinai

ORIGINAL: Voodoo101
Wanted
I'm looking for a SCLP battery box. And I don't really want to buy a whole new fuselage in order to get the battery box.
Thanks guys, Bert
I have one that is missing it's door; you can have it for free!! A battery door can be obtained here: http://secure.hobbyzone.com/search/HBZ7112.html

PMme if u want to coordinate something for delivery. merry christmas everybody!!

Went Flying yesterday and twice again, today with the supercub. What a great fun plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23368.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1701967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83926.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1701968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72034.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1701969  
Old 12-19-2011, 01:41 AM
Voodoo101

PM is on the way, I'll have to send you some of or lovely flying weather. I know it gets a little warm where you are. This time of year we don't worry about that too much. I'll have to put the floats on for the winter soon, but no snow on the ground yet. That won't last.

Thanks for your help and Happy Holidays to you and yours,

Bert

PS, Be sure to let me know how much the shipping is, so I can compensate you for it.And thanks again.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Sinai

pm sent.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Voodoo101

PM, returned. Hey,I just thought of something. You always have very good looking video. I have been thinking of getting a new video camera. I know that there is probably a proper forum to find this kind of information, but could you tell me which brand and model of camera you use?

I don't want to spend too much on a camera if I don't have to. Thoughts of the VHScamera that Ibought many years ago, only to have it sit around collecting dust keep coming into my mind.

Seems like a never ending list of things I want to do in this hobby and a never ending list of stuff I need to do it. Ain't this a great hobby!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Sinai

this is a more than great hobby! You asked about cameras.Iuse two.I think the best cameras are the ones with a quick zoom feature while recording. I prefer our Canon digital video camera for fimling, but I went through a heavy Onboard "keychain cam" phase too.

Onboard is cool, but my favorite vids arewhere thesupercub isin the video shot., and even better video comes with a moving Supercubagainst a background - like scattered clouds or low flight with trees in the backdrop. The only way to get really good videois to convince somebody else to help mewith filming. Im curious how many others have asked their wives,girl friendsor flyin buddies to film their plane while they fly. I know Im not the 1st to do that!!
Old 12-25-2011, 01:46 AM
FirebirdCdr2

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!! HOPE YOUR HOLIDAY IS WELL AND GREAT!!
Old 12-25-2011, 04:18 AM
Voodoo101

Thanks for the information. And Ithought I'd let you know that Santa delivered a box with a battery cage inside. It's just what we needed and I think we can repair the crack. We'll try some MEKfirst and it that don't work, I'll use some Welders glue on it. If eveything else fails we'll wrap it up in some glass cloth and soak it with epoxy resin. You sure didn't have to send it First Class Mail, but we are thankful for the gift.

Bert
Old 12-25-2011, 04:30 AM
twoslick2

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Old 12-25-2011, 04:48 AM
Voodoo101

Merry Christmas Everyone.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:42 PM
FirebirdCdr2

There Was another plane for me under the tree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yippieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Sinai

Ho Ho Ho  Glad Tidings to ALL!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 05:31 AM
brianjskora
My Feedback: (3)

Here are a few videos with my hobbyzone super cub. I love this plane

On board camera over an ATV park
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjAb-9ydT6c[/youtube]

Flying very high up, on board camera
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyll4CKoUo8[/youtube]

Following my bass boat
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCOtxd1ECHI[/youtube]

A few tricks, low flying, and landing
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3mi90cbDLo[/youtube]

Taking off with floats
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh1_z-OvWBg[/youtube]

Under a soccer goal
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZgMVAx5kHk[/youtube]
Old 01-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Voodoo101

Hey, hey, thought I should let you know that I finished the rebuild on the SC a week or so ago. We had a warm up here so I took her out last Saturday and flew her at our local field. The little SC now has a Park 480 on a CustomRCparts motor mount and gets 2200 3S 30C batteries standing vertically. Speaking of verticle, take off roll is 3 feet or less and endless vertical. Even thought I'm still using the non aileron wing, at full throttle she does the snappiest barrel roll.

Wanted to thank you agian for your generosity, and helping me complete this mod to our fire breathing SC.

May the air under your wings be blessed many times,

Bert
Old 01-26-2012, 02:15 AM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up a HZ Super Cub off Craigs List last week for $60. I ripped out all the electronics and sold them for $63.45. That included the radio, chargers and all. So, I have the bare air frame and $3.65.
I purchase the E-Flight 480 Brushless motor, 40 amp speed controller, CustomRC motor mount, Hitec HS-55 servos, and a set of floats.
So far I've removed the dihedral from the wing, installed ailirons, modified the battery box, and covered the fus. Today I hope to complete the wing.
This is a pic of the color scheme I'm doing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71678.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	1719247  
Old 01-26-2012, 07:07 AM
Voodoo101

I think you will really enjoy her when you get her done. With floats the Park 480 is a very good choice. When you need to make turns on the water, you will need to apply rudder and give a healthy burst of throttle. The SC could really use a water rudder. But that's a bit more of a job.

Someday I'll get around to mouning another servo, either in the belly or maybe right on the floats, so I can have a proper water rudder.

Good luck and post some pictures when you get her finished.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.