Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Stuntpilot51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

barlowe,
Send a letter to your credit card company and have the charges reversed, very simple especially if the company says you did'nt order it.

It has to be a letter, a phone call won't cut it. Read the back side of your statement.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:03 PM
lehrscott4

I discovered an AMA flying field 10 minutes from my house that i never knew was there, and the only guy there let me fly even though i'm not a member. Flying at a nice field is great! I had one issue, after flying for about 5 minutes, the plane kept seeming like it would lose signal for a secong or two and when i brought it back in, the rudder was wiggling back and forth about 1/8 inch without me touching the stick.? I tapped the top of the fuselage and it stopped. This happened on the next 2 flights as well, so i quit for the night before anything bad happened. Anyone have any ideas why this happened?
Old 11-05-2008, 10:14 PM
itzobi
My Feedback: (3)

It's interference, 27mhz band picks up loads of it. Upgrading can fix this to atleast the 72mhz band, but you will need to change lots of items on the inside of the cub. I was going to try and do it, but I decided on a better plane. It came to the same amount that I added up to upgrade the cub. So I just deal with the interference by keeping good altitude on the plane. Make sure you extend the antenna all the way up, turn the transmitter on, and then connect your battery to the plane, you must follow that order. Worst case scenario, it might have a faulty ESC/RX, short for electronic speed controller and receiver. You can call HorizonHobby.com and they will send you one free of charge. They might ask for you to mail it in, but I doubt it.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:24 PM
gws_003

ORIGINAL: itzobi

It's interference, 27mhz band picks up loads of it. Upgrading can fix this to atleast the 72mhz band, but you will need to change lots of items on the inside of the cub. I was going to try and do it, but I decided on a better plane. It came to the same amount that I added up to upgrade the cub. So I just deal with the interference by keeping good altitude on the plane. Make sure you extend the antenna all the way up, turn the transmitter on, and then connect your battery to the plane, you must follow that order. Worst case scenario, it might have a faulty ESC/RX, short for electronic speed controller and receiver. You can call HorizonHobby.com and they will send you one free of charge. They might ask for you to mail it in, but I doubt it.

Yea, alot of interference on 27mhz,,more so on the lower "channels" . The SC is 1-6 ch, the lower ones are bad for interference around here!
Old 11-06-2008, 07:30 PM
fieldsofflying

Just got my SC on the 2.4 tx. The only thing I dont like is the 20 amp speed controler has a prop brake. I email Eflite about this they told me the prop brake could not be turn off. I kept the motor stock but had to change the servos and rx. Took it out Sunday to the club and it did great. I like the idea of not pulling a pin at the field. So now I have the SC and the T28 Trojan on the 2.4 TX. going to put the J 3 Cub on it next got room for seven more,HA HA HA.

Fieldsofflying.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:25 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: lehrscott4

I discovered an AMA flying field 10 minutes from my house that i never knew was there, and the only guy there let me fly even though i'm not a member. Flying at a nice field is great! I had one issue, after flying for about 5 minutes, the plane kept seeming like it would lose signal for a secong or two and when i brought it back in, the rudder was wiggling back and forth about 1/8 inch without me touching the stick.? I tapped the top of the fuselage and it stopped. This happened on the next 2 flights as well, so i quit for the night before anything bad happened. Anyone have any ideas why this happened?
I have also had interference problems with the stock SC radios. Turning off the crash control helped mine. I don't need it anyway but if it accidentaly gets turned on, my engine will cut off/on and controls don't respond. Cell phones will also cause problems. Rudder wiggling could also be a servo going bad! I had one on my Trojan do this.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:52 PM
nikg

Itzobi Not an expert, but a hot battery of any kind in a totally stock SC seems strange. I know somebody had tested the stocker and it pulled maybe 10A at full throttle. That is not a whole lot, and any decent battery(NIMH or LIPO) should be able to handle it with ease. Do only your lipos get hot in the SC, or do others heat up as well? If it is only the lipo, I would be careful with those bateries. Have you tried those particular batts in any other applications? Do they heat up?

Barlowe I have ordered from DealExtreme several times and never had a problem at all. I got Deans connectors, fans, alligator clips and other various electronic components. Very decent quality for the price for sure. Seems like you are having a string of bad luck in the RC plane game, friend. I hope all works out for you in the end and you get that bird up. Hve you gotten your replacement? Sorry, I've been away from the thread for a while. Can't wait to get back in the air myself, but home projects and other family life has gotten in the way recently. Not such a bad thing, but I would like to get flying again. Maybe I'll just quit my job as that really appears to be the biggest obstacle these days.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:28 AM
hugger-4641

I am running 1350mh 3cell lipo in other wise stock Super Cub. My esc has held up fine and my battery does not get hot. But if I stay full throttle a lot, the motor does get hot!!
Old 11-07-2008, 06:31 AM
itzobi

lipos will get warm, its a fact, I have a totally stock T-28 trojan, with a stock Lipo, it gets warm. The super cub on the other hand, I run a lipo, and then I run it at full throttle almost 100% of the time, the lipo gets way hot. Lets remember I also live in a warm climate, when I fly the ambient temperature is around 80 degrees. So I am thinking maybe the ESC is malfunctioning, so I will just be careful that my face doesn't get burned off. As sad as it sounds, I will be selling the modified cub soon, as I have gone on to the T-28 Trojan, and I will be buying the F-27c Stryker soon. But it sure was the best trainer ever.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:16 PM
hugger-4641

I also have a couple Trojans and the stock 1800mh lipos do get warm if you are full throttle a lot. But the 2200mh zippy's that I use do not get as warm. As a rule, the faster any battery is discharged or charged, the warmer it will get!!

Sorry to hear you are getting rid of Super Cub. I can't see getting rid of mine, I keep one in my trunk at all times and use it to teach other people to fly!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 09:24 PM
itzobi

I know, it stinks, and it hurts to have to sell it, but the wife wont let me buy another plane, so I have to sacrifice. I hope I dont regret it, when I end up crashing the 80+mph F-27c Stryker into a wall or something, frankly I'm a bit scared of the thought of it going that fast. If I can sell enough worthless stuff on craigslist, I will be keeping it, cause I'm only short $68.50 to get the Stryker PNP model.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:48 PM
gws_003

I watched my neighbor totally turn his Stryker into foam dust, hitting power lines,,,not to scare you
Old 11-08-2008, 12:19 AM
hugger-4641

I don't own a styker yet, but I have flown the "C" version. They're pretty stable at half throttle and not as fast as Trojan at full throttle. Take your time and get 2 trees high before going full throttle!! Even if you do crash it, new air frame is only $20!!
Old 11-08-2008, 08:51 AM
itzobi

lol, ok I'm scared now.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:50 PM
hugger-4641

LoL. Didn't mean to scare you!! But seriously, I wouldn't fly the stryker in some of the tight places that I do with my Trojan, maybe that's just cause I'm so comfortable with the Trojan! If you're competant with the Trojan and you've got a soccer field or equivalent that's free of trees and power lines on at least 2 sides, you should be fine with the stryker.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:03 PM
itzobi

I have a series of high tension power lines in my backyard, lucky me! I fly out back, there is a huge desert field right over my backyard wall. The lines are to the east of me, I always just steer clear of them, I think I can handle the Stryker, but only time will tell. I got a coupon from Hobbyzone.com to get 10% off my order, so now I only need 54 dollars to get the PNP version. I have a DX5E system sitting in a box just waiting for it. So soon i can almost taste the Z-Foam.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:34 PM
hugger-4641

Awesome! Sounds like you might be keeping the Super Cub after all!
Old 11-09-2008, 01:34 AM
itzobi

Yes! I just sold my old PDA on craigslist for $40, so now I can buy the Stryker without selling the Super Cub! I now can keep it in the hangar (garage)!! I will let you guys know what I think of the stryker when I finally get it next week sometime!
Old 11-09-2008, 12:56 PM
fieldsofflying

I am so glad that the SC is going to be around with us. To me it is always sad to lose and old friend.Going to try to fly today but the wind is strong. Going to give it a few more hours to see if not maybe another day.

P S Good luck with the Stryker when you get it.

Fieldsofflying.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:31 PM
itzobi

thanks!

I flew today, it was windy but it seemed to help let me gain very good altitude, it was fun, and it seems like its easier to see the plane when you have some clouds in the sky. It gets a bit hard to concentrate on it when the sky is just totally blue. I tried out a new LIPO pack in the T-28, it only cost 24 bucks, its a IMAX brand, so far I have ran it three times, im getting very good run times and power, no heat and no puffing, pretty good deal. Best part is that I can use it in the Stryker when I get it.

One thing I cant understand yet, is that the Hobbyzone.com Stryker states it has a E-Flite 25A ESC, but Horizonhobby.com states it has a 30A ESC. I called Hobbyzone, and they said the box says 25A, but they get all their stock direct from Horizon.

I dont want the one with the e-Flite 25amp, because it smoked in my Trojan, now I am running the 30amp, no problems at all, and it doesnt get hot like the 25 amp did.

So, I will have to call up Horizon on Monday and pick their brain a little bit.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:14 PM
nikg

Well, I flew today for the second tiem and now my SC is trashed pretty good.
Anybody remember the other month when I maidened the bird? I was having some crazy rudder issues. There was some intermittent craziness with my SC as the rudder seemed to have a mind of its own. Happened a few times during flight before I noticed it wasn't just the slight wind. Got worse towards the end of my session when the battery was low, but I could still control the plane.
Well, I went back to the same place tonight, my local high school, and decided to fly despite a few crazy rudder actions. WRONG CHOICE!! I lined up, took off smooth and about three seconds later, the plane turned hard right and held it. I pushed the stick hard left but it had no effect as I watched the SC go from 30 ft up banked over and hit almost dead on into hard blacktop. I was numb. I couldn't believe it. My kids were there, so I had to hold back my real feelings (which would have included lots of bad words and perhaps profuse crying). I got to the plane and saw the cowl completely smashed, the wing with a chink taked out where the rubber bands attach, the motor mount craked in half and the fuse cracked at the battery compartment. I'm actually surprised the thing is not completely destroyed. I intend on going to the garage to try to fix it right after I post this.

Does anybody know how crucial it is to get the motor mount exactly perfect? I think I can get it about back to where it was, but it might be a touch off either left, right, up or down. Also, I can't seem to get the fuse to stay straight even when I hand push the foam back together. Should I be concerned about the batt compartment and fuse being a little misaligned? In a nutshell, will this still fly with battle damage that does not get it back to exact original condition? I'm thinking yes as others have posted how many fixes they've done and it still flies.

The worst thing about it is that it wasn't even my doing. I would actually have felt better if I screwed up a landing or something, but this was just so disheartening to watch. It was like I had no control over it. If this was interference, would it not also affect the throttle or elevator? I will try a new spot if I can fix the plane to see if it really was caused by interference or not. Maybe there is just something wrong with my plane. Do you think HZ would help me out if it is defective? I bought the thing about 4 months ago and never even had a chance to fly it until last month. This is only my second flight, so it certainly should still have worked like new.
Are thos batteries that come with the kit crap? I still had those in there. If they were low would the TX light just not come on or something, because it beeped and the LED lit up just like always.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:40 PM
itzobi

Here it was I would do, first, call Horizon Hobby, and explain to them the sever twitching issues, and state that you think the ESC is defective. They should be willing to send you a new one free of charge, if not, call back again and get a different tech support operator. Some are more willing than others.

Being this was your second flight, did you first extend the antenna, then turn on the transmitter, and then connect the battery? If you dont follow those steps, you can end up with loads of interference. Never connect the battery on the plane first, without first extending the antenna and turning on the transmitter.

Also, make sure that your trim is set perfectly as well, on your transmitter, and on your plane. I made a big mistake by not checking that on my T-28 Trojan, and nearly nose dived like 10 times.

After you take care of that, you should be ok, it might be the specific channel you have, from what I hear, the lower the mhz range on the 27mhz band, the worse it is.

I dont think it had anything to do with your transmitter, or the batteries, if the LED is bright red, you should be ok.

Now, if the mount is off by alot, I would suggest that you simply buy a replacement fuselage from your local hobby store, or hobbyzone.com.

Simply remove your servos, hot glue them back into the new fuselage, mount your motor, gear, and pinion. Install your new ESC, wing, and tail, and landing gear.

And enjoy flying again.

Should cost you $35 max, if you get the free ESC of course.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:53 PM
nikg

Also, make sure that your time is set perfectly as well, on your transmitter, as well on your plane. I made a big mistake by not checking that on my T-28 Trojan, and nearly nose dived like 10 times.

^^^^^^^What do you mean by make sure your time is set well?^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't know what the "time" is? Did I miss something I was supposed to do?
Yes I had my antenna out, but I think I extended it after I plugged in the battery. I think I turned on the TX, plugged in the battery and then extended the antenna. Should that make any difference really?

I may try to put it back together and try to fly in a different spot to see if that solves the problem. Also, i will use those stock AA's in something else around the house and put fresh batts in there instead.
Can the plane be flown without the cowl, or is that necessary? (Just in case my lhs doesn't have it)

Act was turned off, but could this be intruding somehow?
Old 11-09-2008, 08:57 PM
lehrscott4

Ive had my supercub for about 2 weeks now and have made 5 or 6 flights, and have had similar interference with the rudder on 2 occasions at one flying location. I switched locations and the problems went away. The higher i flew the less interference i had. It also seems better with the ACT turned off.

Does anyone know if it is ok to fly without the wingstruts? Its a pain in the butt taking them on and off everytime i put it in my car.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:59 PM
lehrscott4

And is it ok to unplug the ACT from the reciever?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.