Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

electrajet

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 02:15 PM
bigdrawz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrajet

well I finally did it, after looking at every electric plane made I chose a electrajet . My first elec. plane. I hope it flyes right out of the box or im in trouble. for all you considering an electrajet I found a awesome place to order them. At www.little shop of hobbies.com.He had the best price I could find . If you buy a hitec 3 channel radio with micro servos it comes with elevon mixing. this means you can buy the plane for 49.95 and a e-flite speed control for 26.00 so for 76.00 you can buy plane with ESC. you dont need elevon mixer because its built into hitec radio. And he sells hitec FM 3 channel radio with 55 sub micro servos for 89.00. He saved me a lot of money by telling me exactly what i needed ,I bought radio, plane, speed control and charger for 220.00 not bad .He was out of battery packs that fit electrajet since it takes a special configuration . well any info on this plane would be helpful. I hope I could save some of you some money. Give him a call , thanks Tracy in texas
Old 11-25-2002, 04:58 AM
sslandry

Default how does it fly

Well, how does it fly? By now you should have a few flights on it. I just got one and in the process of building it. I decided to paint it. The laquer paint take a while to dry, so it is a slow process. Just wanted to know how others are doing with it. It looks like a really nice plane and I am excited to get it in the air. Lately it has been windy, I doubt it will tackle the wind very well. I hope I am wrong.

Scott
Old 11-27-2002, 01:54 AM
bigdrawz

Default electrajet

Well I have not flown it yet. just ordered A battery pack from radicial rc and two 12 inch servo extensions .There is a few minor problems I encounterd like the esc had a different connector than the motor ,servo leads were not long enough since I didnt use the elevon mixer. my raido had this feature built in. but all in all the kit is nice. looking forward to flying. let me now how your paint job turns out, and also how your first flight turns out.TRACY
Old 11-28-2002, 11:37 AM
sslandry

Default electrajet

I used pactra Formula U polyurethane midnight blue paint and it looks really nice. I recommend painting it. I am waiting on the battery and receiver now. I should have it flying by next week. I will let you know how it goes.
Scott
Old 11-29-2002, 02:09 PM
bigdrawz

Default electrajet

scott did you have to sand the model first. if so what grit did you use. Im really considering a paint job myself , thanks Tracy
Old 11-29-2002, 05:47 PM
AirVenture-RCU

Default electrajet

Here is a picture of mine. It was an ok flier with a few odd quirks. It breaks it's nose easily on hard landings, and it doesn't like wind too well. It is a very light plane with a heavy power system. It'll to only basic rolls and loops, nothing too impressive. In any case it looks good on the ground. Also, I found it very hard to track in the air. Make sure to pay close attention in turns or else you can easily loose it.

-Brett
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	38176_14079.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	20525  
Old 12-03-2002, 01:23 PM
bigdrawz

Default electrajet

well I finally made my first flight, by mistake! I hooked up all my electrics and cut on the radio nothing happend, so I pushed the little red button (big mistake) throttle was wide open.I had the speed control pluged in the battery spot on accident,plane was sitting on table on a styrofoam makeshift stand, it took off and proceeded to fly across the kitchen and landed in the garbage can. oh well no harm done except for a few coffe grinds. my wife killed herself laughin. I now have a new perspective on how powerful electric motors are. well thats it for now I will keep you all posted. TRACY
Old 12-03-2002, 03:52 PM
larryflew
My Feedback: (13)

Default Re: how does it fly

Originally posted by sslandry
The laquer paint take a while to dry, so it is a slow process.
Just in case there are any lukers thinking of painting their foamies, you most likely didn't use laquer paint. Laquer would give you a pile of melted foam. Would also be dry by the time you set the can down BTW. Polyurethane on the other hand is slow dry and will work with most foams. Enjoy the plane - likely to be one of my next purchases also.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:19 PM
sslandry

Default electrajet

Tracy,
I flew it today for the first time. I was in a hurry to get it into the air. The receiver finally came in last night, so today was my first chance and it was too windy(15MPH!). I really had to fly the plane at all times. I hope it was just due to the wind. It also had a tendancy to climb with full throttle and nose down with low throttle. I plan on adding a mix with the elevator to offset this. Mostly had to fly full throttle due to the wind. Set it down nicely despite the wind. Also it was difficult to follow when you get far away. I'm sure I will get used to all this and have a joy flying it. Today I was too nervous to enjoy myself. Next flight will be with less wind and I will try to keep it close to me. About painting, I did sand the top of the plane with 320 grit to get rid of those dimples - BIG MISTAKE! Took many coats to make it look smooth. The unsnaded bottome only took 2 coats and looks much batter. Also wish I would have painted the bottom white for orientation. Have you flown yours outside the house yet?
Old 12-18-2002, 01:29 AM
bigdrawz

Default electrajet

well i finally made my first flight today. Boy it was not pretty! Iwas in my backyard wich is about 75yards long by 50 yards wide.I set throttle about halfway and threw it into the wind, it took off and flew across the back yard, then reality set in, this is my first time to fly and i was going to have to turn this thing sooner or later. So i gave it a little left stick and it did a complete spin about that time i closed my eyes because i couldnt bare to see it crash , when i opened my eyes it was heading back toward me, now i was going to have to land it so i chopped the throttle and it went down rather quicke but somehow it managed to survive with minimal damage a little glue and its ready to fly again. with some help i might add .
Old 12-18-2002, 04:01 PM
SRA Foam Flyer
My Feedback: (11)

Default electrajet

Bigdrawz, I don't know if any of your stories are true or not, but they sure are funny.
Old 12-21-2002, 04:34 AM
bigdrawz

Default electrajet

Hello, its me again with another sad story, Im sure you all read about my first flight. well I tryed to fly it again today and learned another valueble lesson .dont buy a jet for your first plane!! lets just say my electrajet R.I.P. there is not enough glue in texas to get this thing back in the air. my two year old son now has a 100.oo play toy. Well now that I have washed my hands of that project. can anybody recomend a trainer. yes i said trainer ,that will fly with three channels ,I still have my radio, ESC, 1100mah battery and 400 size motor I can use. If anybody knows of a ARF plane that i could use my electronics in please let me know. There is a plane made by hobby lobby called the miss 2 that im looking at any feedback would be helpful. thanks tracy
Old 12-21-2002, 05:21 AM
SoLow

Default electrajet

bigdrawz, I would recommend a GWS Slow Stick. You can use the equip from your electrajet (it comes with geared motor and prop). Very simple to put together, and can fly in some light wind. You should find it for around $35.00. Not as nice looking as your electrajet, but better looking than it is now! This plane is slow and forgiving. Its also fairly large for a slow flier so it easier to keep in perspective when its out aways. Good luck!
Old 12-21-2002, 01:58 PM
bigdrawz

Default electrajet

thanks solow I checked it out and found it is exactly what im going to buy next. do you know if my battery pack is to big. its a 1100 mah 8 cell in a square configuration. If not its no big deal to order another one, thanks for your help Tracy.
Old 12-21-2002, 02:16 PM
SoLow

Default electrajet

Your pack should work. Some guys are using these plans to take cameras up and have been using all kind of battery configs. The packs are rubber banded on so the shape should not be to big of a deal. The added weight of the 1100 mah pack will help it fly a little better in the wind. I think you will like the Slow Stick. Let us know how it goes when you get it up.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:57 AM
sslandry

Default bad news as well

Don"t know if you are still ooking at this thread bigdrawz, but thought i would let you know that you are not missing much after the loss of your electrajet. I flew mine about a dozen times, never crashed it. I did not like it's flight characteristics. It is hard to fly and grossly underpowered. I put it on the shelf and bought a Wattage Crazy Max. Love it!!!

I think the slow stick is a great choice for your first flyable plane. Just don't fly it in winds more that a slight breeze. I have a GWS Tiger moth which was my first plane. I have flown it about 100 times and never crashed it (keep in mind that I did have some lessons on a trainer 40 about 12 years ago). I will never sell it as it has become my old faithful. I fly it in my front yard and I have a really small yard. Once you get comfortable - I recommend going to a Crazy Max. YOu won't find anything bad written about it.

Good luck and land safely

Scott
Old 01-21-2003, 05:35 AM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Default electrajet

I got an electrajet at the beginning of last summer.......I'm still flying it, although it's been a few months since I've had it out. It's interesting....looks cool in the air....but can be a handful....It slows down A LOT in tight turns, and has a bad tendency to snap out of very tight turns. This plane is harder to fly than any glow model I have....but it keeps me on my toes. Wind effected it much more than I though it would. I love doing a split s into a low-altitude flyby. Would I buy another? I doubt it...but it's fun while it lasts.

Mike
Old 03-29-2003, 09:42 PM
AMTdude

Default My Electrajet is 1 year old!!!

I'd never had an RC airplane until i bought the Electrajet...

My boss said i wouldn't be able to fly it 3 seconds...

The first toss: into the wind 1/2 throttle, let it stablize, then cut throttle and landed poorly. wow it flies. (No Damage)

Second toss: full throttle and threw it a lil' harder, all level flight. Flight time 3minutes and 27 seconds then a sliky smooth down wind landing, oops got a lil' excited. :-)

Almost 75 flights and 3 major crashes later she still gets around pretty good. (I've added some light fiberglass and epoxy to the weak areas up front.)

I discarded the stock power plant and installed a direct drive speed 400 and performance picked up quite a bit.

Then i bought a better battery and installed a Modified 14turn RC buggy motor using the same diect drive prop hub and now she really scoots!!!

The moral of the story...Your 1st plane CAN be a jet

And the stuff that came with the Electrajet combo i am still using except for the charger...only this past week did i finally raid the electronics for my new project...see below
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	66592_12081.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	20526